Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

In todays NBA game, he isn't a top 40 pick with no decent consistent outside shot.  If he knocks down some outside shots this upcoming year at IU outside of the paint(assuming he returns here) he'll be a 1st rd pick next year or early second guarantee. 

He needs to step out and hit some shots.  Of course Woody has to be on board with this which(two or three per game maybe?) I assume he would accept that given the fact that TJD would return.  

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

In todays NBA game, he isn't a top 40 pick with no decent consistent outside shot.  If he knocks down some outside shots this upcoming year at IU outside of the paint(assuming he returns here) he'll be a 1st rd pick next year or early second guarantee. 

He needs to step out and hit some shots.  Of course Woody has to be on board with this which(two or three per game maybe?) I assume he would accept that given the fact that TJD would return.  

A slight variation with the same conclusion:

If he can go to pre-draft workouts and show a consistent, repeatable outside shot he'll get some very positive feedback that may get him to the conclusion that he will be a top 40 pick.

Can he currently show the NBA talent evaluators a consistent, repeatable outside shot? Not thinking so.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

A slight variation with the same conclusion:

If he can go to pre-draft workouts and show a consistent, repeatable outside shot he'll get some very positive feedback that may get him to the conclusion that he will be a top 40 pick.

Can he currently show the NBA talent evaluators a consistent, repeatable outside shot? Not thinking so.

That is fair.  Consistent while not being pressured, maybe.  But being pressured I don't think so. We'll see though.  I'd say 70% he's returning and 30% going pro.  

8 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

No team is going to do that. If a team tells a middling draft prospect that they are definitely taking him at #35ish and putting him on their NBA roster, 3 weeks before the draft, they are lying to whomever that prospect is. So much will happen between June 1st and the draft and even more on draft night there is no way to make such a guarantee. TJD, especially having a father experienced in the business of the NBA, will be making his decision on well informed  approximation of his value, not a single teams "guarantee."

I agree that it is too early in the process, as we haven't had the combine yet and pre-draft workouts are just beginning to get scheduled, so it's very early in the process. 

With that said, NBA teams give draft promises fairly often and almost always stick to them. It's very bad form in the NBA for a team to get a reputation for not following through on draft promises. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I agree that it is too early in the process, as we haven't had the combine yet and pre-draft workouts are just beginning to get scheduled, so it's very early in the process. 

With that said, NBA teams give draft promises fairly often and almost always stick to them. It's very bad form in the NBA for a team to get a reputation for not following through on draft promises. 

given TJD dad history with Pacers, Indy has two 2nd rd picks(31 and 60).  It would not shock me to see Indy give that promise by using that 60th pick or maybe they trade up slightly but I could easily see them giving him the promise.  At that late in the draft, the odds of getting someone to play meaningful mins anytime soon is few and far between.  

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

given TJD dad history with Pacers, Indy has two 2nd rd picks(31 and 60).  It would not shock me to see Indy give that promise by using that 60th pick or maybe they trade up slightly but I could easily see them giving him the promise.  At that late in the draft, the odds of getting someone to play meaningful mins anytime soon is few and far between.  

At the 60th pick you're probably better off going undrafted. I don't TJD is staying in the draft if 60th is the best he can do. 

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/05/nba-draft-big-board-ranking-top-100-prospects-jabari-smith-jaden-ivey-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

SI’s latest rankings with Trayce at #85. With the caveats that this is not representative of team internals and some of these seem really, really off to me, that’s pretty ugly. Side note: Know he’s got a lot of fans and his appeal is obvious, but, sorry, any team picking top 3 or 4 and takes Jayden Ivey projecting him as Ja Morant is gonna deserve what they get. That kid will tease some team right back into the lottery, a couple of times. He’s gonna get his 1st coach fired. 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If he isn't going to be picked until 60th, he'll make more money on NIL than being selected.

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Woody was already 100% on board with TJD shooting from the perimeter last year. I saw several interviews in which he said Trace hits those shots in practice but for whatever reason wouldn’t  shoot them in games. In one of the interviews I remember Woodson looking exasperated that TJD wasn’t pulling the trigger on any outside shots.

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

If Trace comes back and is able to shoot like that from the outside in games (two relatively big “ifs”) the upside/potential for next season is top 8 or better. What a game changer that would be.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

If Trace comes back and is able to shoot like that from the outside in games (two relatively big “ifs”) the upside/potential for next season is top 8 or better. What a game changer that would be.

Pssst...the video didn't show it, but I betcha he missed some jumpers too.

Anyway, his release has never been that bad, and his feet looked less awkward in that video.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Pssst...the video didn't show it, but I betcha he missed some jumpers too.

Anyway, his release has never been that bad, and his feet looked less awkward in that video.

Yea, I get it that he missed some not to mention the defense didn’t exactly look smothering nor was it game conditions,  That being said….the off season is the time to dream (remember all the past reports that Jeremiah Rivers was hitting everything in the off-season, etc etc etc). :)

EDIT….

I watched the video again and realized the real key to TJD hitting from the perimeter is making sure he is guarded by a slow 6 foot guy that gives him space….LOL

4 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

No team is going to do that.

As stated by BGleas above in response to my post: "Yup, especially if he rides his decision out right up until the deadline. If he does that, then it tells me he is fishing for a promise for a team, WHICH HAPPENS ALL THE TIME." (emphasis added)

Dustin Dopirak is now suggesting that, just maybe, Trayce has actually always been able to shoot but just didn’t take the many, many perimeter looks defenses were giving him because his role was to post up. Dustin’s not a dumb guy, but, wow, is that a dumb take. Amazing what a limited piece of workout video can do. 

Sweet. If he comes back, TJD just might be IU's latest practice sniper who makes a ton of 3's but only in practice. 

We've been hearing for years how so-and-so is shooting great in practice so the team's shooting woes won't be as bad. Then when the season rolls around, said player doesn't take and/or make many 3's.

It's great that he's practicing a skill that he really needs which would help him and any team he's playing for but I'll hold my excitement for when I see him start to do that in a game. His release does look a bit quicker in that video that I've previously seen from him, though. 

I'm not sure that video clip provides an accurate picture of TJD's current outside shooting ability. That was a pretty relaxed workout--slow pace, nobody guarding TJD. Full court scrimmages at the combine (assuming he is invited) will provide a better test of his ability and more likely to be evaluated by NBA teams.

9 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I'm not sure that video clip provides an accurate picture of TJD's current outside shooting ability. That was a pretty relaxed workout--slow pace, nobody guarding TJD. 

This. It’s really encouraging because the release looks a little better and the backward lean looks much better. But, I promise there is archived video somewhere of Joey Brunk and Hanner Perea making strings of 3’s during drill work. Players at that level do that. If you caught Galloway on the right day you’d think he was Alford.