Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

18 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

When u have Keegan Murray, you play him anywhere as a mismatch. You don’t need a big, defensive big? You automatically put your team at a huge disadvantage when you need to double and triple a big on defense and get outrebounded game in and game out. Dominant bigs and rim protectors make the game easier for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Dominant ANYTHING makes the game easier for everyone, hence the word dominant.

The #1 defensive team in the NCAA by efficiency last year was Texas Tech.  The tallest player in the nine man rotation was 6'8".   And Tech did just fine on the backboards.

And of the 15 players who averaged in double digit rebounds last year, 6 were 6'7" and under.  1 was 6'8".  Only one was seven feet.  NCAA coaches are already adjusting to the NBA look and going with smaller, more athletic players.  The Big Ten isn't.....and year after year we see what happens in the tournament.  How many times do we need to watch a Loyola upset an Illinois or St. Peter's upset a Purdue to realize that what the Big Ten is doing is leading to those kind of games?  Heck, Houston stomped Illinois in the tournament last year and stuck a 6'8" player on Cockburn for 18 minutes of the game.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed.

He may have to be willing to accept a 6-25 season to feature freshmen that he wants to develop in-house.

100% - look at what Steve Pikiell has built at Rutgers.  If I were at Minnesota, PSU, Northwestern, etc. that is the formula I would follow...establish a culture and develop from within even it means taking lumps first few years.

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

You're the pumpingest of pumpers.

But I agree!  This is great news.  Race started to develop that 3 point shot, and I'd expect that to continue into next year.  What's that saying?  Get old and stay old?  I definitely trust Papa Thompson over the other team's freshman.  I also think this could sway TJD to stay.

Great news on a Friday evening

Except it’s Thursday 

:)

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And how often does that actually happen?

Why does that matter? If the goal is to be a pro and he feels his best chance to become a pro is to play in some form of pro basketball then that should be his course. If he feels he can greatly improve his game with CMW and become a mid 1st rnd pick then maybe he picks that path.

I imagine a guy like TJD isn't thinking, I likely will fail as a pro so I better have one more year as the BMOC before my life as a failure.

Only four players from 2022 B1G first-third team are still pending a definitive stay/go announcement: Kofi, Edey, Dickinson, TJD. By my count, roughly ten honorable mention players are likely to return, Race and X among them.

Also, a fun aside unlikely to matter: Race played 63 minutes across nine games his redshirt freshman year due to injury. Often a player with a year like that can petition the NCAA for an injury redshirt waiver. He almost certainly won’t, of course, but I think it would be an option, though not realistically.

Just now, lillurk said:

Only four players from 2022 B1G first-third team are still pending a definitive stay/go announcement: Kofi, Edey, Dickinson, TJD. By my count, roughly ten honorable mention players are likely to return, Race and X among them.

No obviously there will be newcomers to those lists: frosh, transfers, breakout sophomores, etc. But having two or three of the best dozen returning players in the league is a terrific foundation.