Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

33 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Never ceases to amaze me how some people on message boards think because they don't know what a player is doing the coaching staff must not know either. 

Curious what advantage there is for Race to keep his decision hush hush? 

makes no sense and it’s not just the everyday fans, many close to the program don’t know if he is returning. 

9 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit ridiculous Race hasn’t made a decision yet? He’s had almost a month since the season ended and he’s holding the whole roster in limbo by not deciding.

Well, if he is staying why does he need to make announcement

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

makes no sense and it’s not just the everyday fans, many close to the program don’t know if he is returning. 

Agreed. And the same for JG. make a decision and figure it out. You're only hurting yourself by waiting. Teams are taking kids every day from the portal. 

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well, if he is staying why does he need to make announcement

Ordinarily, I’d agree that it’s reasonable to assume a player is staying until they aren’t. But, in Race’s case, he’s a 6th yr guy who went through Senior Night. He really should make an announcement.

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Agreed. And the same for JG. make a decision and figure it out. You're only hurting yourself by waiting. Teams are taking kids every day from the portal. 

Race is confusing, as Demo said.

It's not hurting JG -- he would be in very, very high demand if he ever hit the street. Top 20 teams would send a bench player packing to get him.

9 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

The NIL deal was telling enough for me tbh

I'm starting to think the same and I was on the think-train that Race would be on to a newer place.

With TJD testing the waters (which he 100% should) and Race and TJD both getting large amount of money from the NIL.. perhaps Race may be staying with his roommate who could be staying. 

12 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well a player would have to ask themselves, is it better to go sit on the bench just because you're making money or be a star and treated like a king of campus and actually play the game you love?

Or they may ask themselves, how do I get better to become an NBA player that I have dreamed of becoming?

A)continue to dominate lesser talent in the same college system

or

B)test myself daily against the best players in the world in the style of play that I will need to ultimately succeed in

1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

Or they may ask themselves, how do I get better to become an NBA player that I have dreamed of becoming?

A)continue to dominate lesser talent in the same college system

or

B)test myself daily against the best players in the world in the style of play that I will need to ultimately succeed in

And how often does that actually happen?

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

We should know either way in about 2.5 weeks, assuming they want to play next season. May 1 is the cutoff to enter the transfer portal to have immediate eligibility.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

What Ben Johnson is doing is not going to work out.  His focus last year was on bringing in a lot of players through the transfer portal for a year.  While I understand he was probably doing it to try to somewhat their season, in the long term producing an old, bottom dwelling Big Ten team isn't useful.  If he's looking to bring in players like Parker Stewart instead of investing heavily in recruiting freshman, he's going to produce the same bottom dwelling results year after year.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

What Ben Johnson is doing is not going to work out.  His focus last year was on bringing in a lot of players through the transfer portal for a year.  While I understand he was probably doing it to try to somewhat their season, in the long term producing an old, bottom dwelling Big Ten team isn't useful.  If he's looking to bring in players like Parker Stewart instead of investing heavily in recruiting freshman, he's going to produce the same bottom dwelling results year after year.

Agreed.

He may have to be willing to accept a 6-25 season to feature freshmen that he wants to develop in-house.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If you can play, you will always find a home regardless of when you enter the portal.

True but might not be the home you want. Sounds like Seton Hall will always have a home for JG but will other east coach schools.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed.

He may have to be willing to accept a 6-25 season to feature freshmen that he wants to develop in-house.

Yep...he has four freshman signed to come in next year -- none of which are top 150 players.  At a place like Minnesota he should have at least been able to attract a couple of 100ish kids if they knew they could come in right away and play.  Instead he seems intent on letting in mediocre fifth year transfer guys be on the court.

FWIW, I don't think Hoiberg has a great job coaching Nebraska and he has relied on the portal A LOT, but he has brought in talented freshman as well.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed.

Yeah plus 6-25 season with a bunch of freshman is forgivable and fans will in all likelihood be very patient.

but going 9-22ish with 5th year guys doesn't make sense. 

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

When u have Keegan Murray, you play him anywhere as a mismatch. You don’t need a big, defensive big? You automatically put your team at a huge disadvantage when you need to double and triple a big on defense and get outrebounded game in and game out. Dominant bigs and rim protectors make the game easier for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

If an opponent wants to chase fools gold, then I would not only let him but encourage it. A reasonably competent defensive big is sufficient. All they really need to be able to do is rebound and make the opposing big work for his points. Rim protection is a nice bonus. Strong perimeter defense also goes a long way to nullifying even the most dominant offensive bigs.