Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

6 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He could have done the same after another year of being a collegiate star. 

And missed a year of getting paid.  He made over $700,000 at the NBA level his first year as an undrafted free agent getting in only a total of 30 games all year.  His career was done by 24.  If he wasn't going to be able to be on an NBA team past 24, might as well earn while you can.  It's not like there was NIL money back then.

6 hours ago, Hoosier Roots said:

Troy didn’t have NIL money to factor in though. The ability to earn 6 figured in college changes the draft calculus a bit. 

Oh, I agree.  If that was a factor it might have changed his mind.  Don't know.  NIL just shifts the should they/should they not turn pro cut line.  Before it might have been even some players that weren't going to be drafted turned out better leaving early.  Now maybe it's somewhere in the mid second round.  It seems like TJD has drawn his line at the 35th pick or so.  Maybe without the NIL money he would put it at simply being drafted.

13 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And missed a year of getting paid.  He made over $700,000 at the NBA level his first year as an undrafted free agent getting in only a total of 30 games all year.  His career was done by 24.  If he wasn't going to be able to be on an NBA team past 24, might as well earn while you can.  It's not like there was NIL money back then.

Or he could have came back, been a leader and been actually drafted. 

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Or he could have came back, been a leader and been actually drafted. 

He might have, although I'm not sure he has anything to do with being a 'leader'.  He was going to be NBA bench fodder at best.  But the assumption that coming back is going to lead to an increase in draft stock is a tenuous one and certainly not universal.  Take a guy like Juwan Morgan.  Coming back for his senior year didn't lead to him being drafted.  And he's probably going to end up with the same type of NBA career that Troy Williams had, but Williams was able to start a year earlier.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m of the same position I was 2 months ago. TJD leaves, we’ve got trouble. If he leaves can we get one of the 2 or 3 impact bigs out in the portal? Reneau would be great, he absolutely isn’t TJD yet.

#weneedTJD

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would be more along the lines of losing BOTH TJD and Race would have a tough effect to overcome.  Of course we are better with both of them back.  I'm of the opinion that Race has the ability to step up and fill in decently for TJD, but then we have to replace Race's production.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

He might have, although I'm not sure he has anything to do with being a 'leader'.  He was going to be NBA bench fodder at best.  But the assumption that coming back is going to lead to an increase in draft stock is a tenuous one and certainly not universal.  Take a guy like Juwan Morgan.  Coming back for his senior year didn't lead to him being drafted.  And he's probably going to end up with the same type of NBA career that Troy Williams had, but Williams was able to start a year earlier.

Well a player would have to ask themselves, is it better to go sit on the bench just because you're making money or be a star and treated like a king of campus and actually play the game you love?

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well a player would have to ask themselves, is it better to go sit on the bench just because you're making money or be a star and treated like a king of campus and actually play the game you love?

You aren't stating it the way that most players think about it....you are stating it under your own personal viewpoint.

I would be more along the lines of losing BOTH TJD and Race would have a tough effect to overcome.  Of course we are better with both of them back.  I'm of the opinion that Race has the ability to step up and fill in decently for TJD, but then we have to replace Race's production.

Losing both Race and Trayce would be devastating based on our recruiting, but Race is semi-replaceable. Reneau maybe would replace him from jump. Or close to it. Banks would provide pieces of what Race does. Trayce is a different animal. Race bumping to a 5 diminishes him. He’s not a B1G 5. Idk, we’ll see. Hopefully they both return or the staff has a secret weapon we don’t know about to “replace” TJD at least in their ability to defend the 5 and provide something on O.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Have to think if TJD leaves we would play a totally different style of game and play more of an open offense.  Also I would say that we would recruit another big or two if he leaves.

I’m not holding my breathe for either of those 2 things. More open offense with guys that historically can’t shoot? TJD was the reason we had top ranked open looks from 3. TJD goes, those go down. There are 2-3 transfer guys out there that would be interesting as starting B1G 5s. Us getting one of them is another question all together.

Just my opinion.....we need to stop trying to have a 'Big 10 type 5'.  It certainly isn't working for the Big Ten outside of conference play.  And you CAN win in the Big Ten without resorting to play into that....might be tougher, but there is something said for not having a player in the game that is only meant to shoot inside five foot and bang on the other end.  I love TJD because he IS excellent at that, but Iowa was pretty damn good this past year both in conference and in the conference tournament despite playing very anti-Big Ten basketball.  Other than a couple of players buried on the bench, they didn't play anyone over 6'9".....and sometimes they went with Keegan Murray at the 5.

When u have Keegan Murray, you play him anywhere as a mismatch. You don’t need a big, defensive big? You automatically put your team at a huge disadvantage when you need to double and triple a big on defense and get outrebounded game in and game out. Dominant bigs and rim protectors make the game easier for everyone.

37 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm stating it how I'd personally be thinking as a player. 

Yes, that was what I was trying to say.  My point was that just because that is how you would think about it doesn't make it how others think about it. 

15 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit ridiculous Race hasn’t made a decision yet? He’s had almost a month since the season ended and he’s holding the whole roster in limbo by not deciding.

He doesn't have to announce publicly what he is doing in order to have made a decision or to have informed those that matter.

32 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bit ridiculous Race hasn’t made a decision yet? He’s had almost a month since the season ended and he’s holding the whole roster in limbo by not deciding.

The NIL deal was telling enough for me tbh