Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

10 hours ago, DChoosier said:

NBADRAFT.NET currently predicts TJD to be drafted 33rd (early in the second round). The 33rd pick in 2021 signed the following contract:

Jason Preston signed a 3 year / $4,461,917 contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, including $2,625,821 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,487,306. In 2021-22, Preston will earn a base salary of $1,062,303, while carrying a cap hit of $1,062,303 and a dead cap value of $1,062,303.

NBADRAFTROOM has TJD going 43rd. Testing the waters obviously makes sense and, as others have mentioned, TJD only needs to impress one GM in order to get drafted and secure a reasonable contract (ie…crazy money compared to nearly anyone else on the planet). 
I am now more inclined to think he is gone after seeing what the 33rd and 43rd picks signed for last year. I didn’t realize picks that low received multi-million dollar guarantees. The “what if” he will have to consider is the possibility of staying another year and working his way into the lottery.  If he is confident he can exhibit a right hand, become at least a little bit of a perimeter threat and be on a winning team he could work his way into the lower part of the lottery. It will be a tough decision and I wish him the best. The 43rd pick last year signed the following contract which isn’t much different that what the 33rd pick received:

Greg Brown III signed a 3 year / $4,324,872 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $2,488,776 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,441,624. In 2021-22, Brown III will earn a base salary of $925,258, while carrying a cap hit of $925,258 and a dead cap value of $925,258.

14 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Hey Leaf is averaging 25 and 12 in China! Lol

Yep and the Chinese league is now the second highest paying league in the world (obviously behind the NBA) while having one of the shortest seasons (6 months vs 8-9 in Europe).

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

NBADRAFTROOM has TJD going 43rd. Testing the waters obviously makes sense and, as others have mentioned, TJD only needs to impress one GM in order to get drafted and secure a reasonable contract (ie…crazy money compared to nearly anyone else on the planet). 
I am now more inclined to think he is gone after seeing what the 33rd and 43rd picks signed for last year. I didn’t realize picks that low received multi-million dollar guarantees. The “what if” he will have to consider is the possibility of staying another year and working his way into the lottery.  If he is confident he can exhibit a right hand, become at least a little bit of a perimeter threat and be on a winning team he could work his way into the lower part of the lottery. It will be a tough decision and I wish him the best. The 43rd pick last year signed the following contract which isn’t much different that what the 33rd pick received:

Greg Brown III signed a 3 year / $4,324,872 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $2,488,776 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,441,624. In 2021-22, Brown III will earn a base salary of $925,258, while carrying a cap hit of $925,258 and a dead cap value of $925,258.

It actually is more than impressing one GM.  Multiple players can impress one GM and you can end up not taken.

I think the information he will likely receive is that he will have a ceiling of being around 35.  The 33rd pick does not seem to be in line with what other sites say and I would call it an outlier.  I think if he stays he gets drafted but it will be mid third round.  I think it's important to note that nbadraft.net had him going 33rd to the Pacers....so I am thinking they were going with the thought that the Pacers would draft him in part because he's a native Hoosier.  Could mean that if the Pacers didn't draft him that nbadraft.net would have slotted him more than a few spots down.

14 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It actually is more than impressing one GM.  Multiple players can impress one GM and you can end up not taken.

I think the information he will likely receive is that he will have a ceiling of being around 35.  The 33rd pick does not seem to be in line with what other sites say and I would call it an outlier.  I think if he stays he gets drafted but it will be mid third round.  I think it's important to note that nbadraft.net had him going 33rd to the Pacers....so I am thinking they were going with the thought that the Pacers would draft him in part because he's a native Hoosier.  Could mean that if the Pacers didn't draft him that nbadraft.net would have slotted him more than a few spots down.

There are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft. 

9 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

There are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft. 

I know....not sure how that pertains to my post.  When I said that nbadraft.net had TJD listed as 33rd to the Pacers, that if they did not have the Pacers taking him that he might have floated down a few slots to the 40-45 area.  I.e., nbadraft.net is counting on the Pacers rating him high in part because he's a local player.  

34 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I know....not sure how that pertains to my post.  When I said that nbadraft.net had TJD listed as 33rd to the Pacers, that if they did not have the Pacers taking him that he might have floated down a few slots to the 40-45 area.  I.e., nbadraft.net is counting on the Pacers rating him high in part because he's a local player.  

You said mid 3rd round in your previous post. I think the other guy was just clarifying. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I get that GM’ might like multiple guys, but can only pick 2, but I meant impressing a GM to the point that the GM will pick him. ….

I saw one site that has him 33rd and another that has him 43rd and last year both of those positions guaranteed the draftees around 2.5 million. That’s “small money” for the NBA but “big money” for the general population. Not sure what it will take to float his boat (is money a primary motivator, would he prefer playing full time as a job vs college, etc, etc). We will find out soon enough.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

And because Dale Davis is his dad who was a legendary Pacer player in the 1990's. 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

nbadraft.net is counting on the Pacers rating him high in part because he's a local player.  

Teams sometimes take players with a local fan base but more often than not they go for the best player available.  Teams change their minds all the time on draft picks at the last moment depending upon whether an earlier team has passed on a player they want but didn't believe would be available. TJD may have to gamble that won't happen in his case.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, Chris007 said:

He said in an interview that if he is not a top 33-35 pick he's coming back. I've only seen him in that range in one mock draft out of several so we'll see what happens.

I believe the ESPN Draft folks have him going in the late 1st, this was maybe a month ago? It was behind a paywall I'd have to find the article.

If i'm in his shoes I'm thinking to myself, what are the risks of me staying vs me going? The NBA will always be there, but will the draft be deeper next year compared to this year? There is also the case of him suffering a major injury in college next year. The NBA folks are going to tell him the same thing they told him last year, they may give him credit with his increased ability to protect the basket but it's going to be the same story as last year, switching onto smaller guards and shooting. 

10 minutes ago, Trish said:

I believe the ESPN Draft folks have him going in the late 1st, this was maybe a month ago? It was behind a paywall I'd have to find the article.

If i'm in his shoes I'm thinking to myself, what are the risks of me staying vs me going? The NBA will always be there, but will the draft be deeper next year compared to this year? There is also the case of him suffering a major injury in college next year. The NBA folks are going to tell him the same thing they told him last year, they may give him credit with his increased ability to protect the basket but it's going to be the same story as last year, switching onto smaller guards and shooting. 

He isn't on ESPN's mock draft.

TJD should come back to Indiana unless he is going in the first round or he has a million dollar deal overseas. If he is a second rounder he'll likely end up on a two way deal or get cut and sent to the G league. If he gets a two way deal he will make 462,629 dollars. While it is really good money is nothing ridiculous. If he gets drafted then cut and sent to the G league he would make $37,000 dollars. He is already making more than that at IU. He could be an Indiana legend if things go the right way next year all while still making good money. 

23 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

TJD should come back to Indiana unless he is going in the first round or he has a million dollar deal overseas. If he is a second rounder he'll likely end up on a two way deal or get cut and sent to the G league. If he gets a two way deal he will make 462,629 dollars. While it is really good money is nothing ridiculous. If he gets drafted then cut and sent to the G league he would make $37,000 dollars. He is already making more than that at IU. He could be an Indiana legend if things go the right way next year all while still making good money. 

That is the way I see it too. Of course, he may be done with college and ready to move on. I assume he's very close to or is graduating? 

14 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Would be odd if TJD didn’t test the waters IMO.

Absolutely. He only needs 1 team to fall in love.

33 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

TJD should come back to Indiana unless he is going in the first round or he has a million dollar deal overseas. If he is a second rounder he'll likely end up on a two way deal or get cut and sent to the G league. If he gets a two way deal he will make 462,629 dollars. While it is really good money is nothing ridiculous. 

Second round money/guarantees have been getting better. Last year the 33rd and 43rd picks (I looked them up because I saw a couple services that slotted TJD in those positions) both received guarantees of around 2.5 million.