Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Secures NIL deal that is contingent on living in Indiana.

Gets draft feedback to see if he’s a borderline 1st rounder that can get a guaranteed NBA deal. 

Returns if feedback by deadline is not positive enough.

Excellent execution—getting great advice and making good decisions.

Agree. I would guess that TJD testing the waters was of zero surprise to the staff. It makes sense for TJD to get the feedback and who knows, maybe a GM or two will be intrigued by what he offers.
The challenge for IU is the potential domino effect with the roster and potential portal players  as the team awaits his decision (will portal bigs look elsewhere, does this impact Race and JG, etc). The camp is May 16-22nd with a withdrawal deadline of June 1st so we have over another month of uncertainty.

The staff will be fine. You can field a team with 12 scholarship players if it comes to that. But they’ll know more than us, and there are always late commits, other draft-withdrawing players who will hit the portal, midyear transfers where you might benefit from having an open scholarship, and so on

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Agree. I would guess that TJD testing the waters was of zero surprise to the staff. It makes sense for TJD to get the feedback and who knows, maybe a GM or two will be intrigued by what he offers.
The challenge for IU is the potential domino effect with the roster and potential portal players  as the team awaits his decision (will portal bigs look elsewhere, does this impact Race and JG, etc). The camp is May 16-22nd with a withdrawal deadline of June 1st so we have over another month of uncertainty.

His coach stated publicly that he was ready.  So I am sure he has some contingency plans.  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

His coach stated publicly that he was ready.  So I am sure he has some contingency plans.  

Good point. Also I’d encourage everyone to sit back and get used to this. Not crazy to imagine years to come watching JG, TB, JHS, Jakai, Gabe, etc. doing exactly this

Good idea for TJD and IU. Hopefully he gets good feedback along the lines of you really made progress and would likely go in the late first round. Perhaps he then hears that if he adds X he could go lottery. This is good for us because Woody sold him on the idea that he would help him get there. It would be good confirmation to hear he did improve his standing but he chooses to come back for one more year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I’m sure they do have contingency plans but some aspects of the roster are unavoidably complicated by the uncertainty of TJD’s status. In particular they might be targeting a big that is interested in IU, as a contingency action, but is that big willing to wait to see if the TJD minutes actually open up? Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 4-6 weeks.

Glad he's doing this. He'd be crazy not to. Him not at least testing last year surprised me. Sounds like though he is probably coming back. He said essentially if he's not an late first/very early second round pick he's coming back. I'd be very surprised if he is a top 35 pick. If he gets a combine invite I'd expect his decision to probably be around June 1st. If not, it'll be early-mid May before we hear. I assume Woodson and the staff know what the plan probably will be. 

43 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Good point. Also I’d encourage everyone to sit back and get used to this. Not crazy to imagine years to come watching JG, TB, JHS, Jakai, Gabe, etc. doing exactly this

Exactly. It may suck waiting around for a month. I don't like the long process at all but it's best for the players. It prevents some kid making a quick decision and not having the opportunity to play in college anymore. Wasn't the old deadline like a week after the final four? Now it's essentially June 1st. Plus, we want this. In order to continue getting top players, you have to send some of them to the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Well, we have reached out to 2 or maybe 3 replacement bigs. It makes sense for him to give it a go.  I just hope if he does go, we land someone to actually be excited about. Without him our Ceiling drops 50%.  

If they can get Reneau I'll be happy. However, from what I have read with Trayce's quotes today, I put it at 95% he is coming back. I can't see him being a top 35 pick.

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If they can get Reneau I'll be happy. However, from what I have read with Trayce's quotes today, I put it at 95% he is coming back. I can't see him being a top 35 pick.

Is there something magical about top 35?  I don’t know how draft contracts work.

45 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Is there something magical about top 35?  I don’t know how draft contracts work.

Only thing I can think is that the Pacers have the Rockets’ 2nd rounder which will be likely pick #31. Maybe a shot at staying home matters to him? After pick 30 you’re a non-guaranteed summer league body until you’re not though. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I don’t think there’s anything magic about 35 exactly, but I did a quick perusal of 2nd round contracts in the last 3 drafts and it looks like the 1 way contracts with multi-year guarantees start drying up pretty good around pick 40. 

5 hours ago, lillurk said:

I would guess this, too, but do we know it? Can someone FOIA it?

I don't think it's officially contingent, but it's for Indiana charities and their proximity could be a limiting factor to how much he can help.