Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'll admit it -- I'm a bit of a uniform geek. And if someone posted it and I missed, apologies for the repetition. 

But did Bates change numbers -- from 53 to 21? This seems like a relatively new picture. 

Not that much of a geek to know that we put the stripes back on the arms/neck last year. That's a 2020-21 jersey so I assume the 21 is just being a 2021 recruit.

56 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Not that much of a geek to know that we put the stripes back on the arms/neck last year. That's a 2020-21 jersey so I assume the 21 is just being a 2021 recruit.

I think that picture is from a visit. Either on an official visit or when he got to campus for the first time. 

I think saying Race (or JG for that matter) don't have a jump shot isn't true.  They might not have good range to the three point line, but they were actually very effective at the mid range jumpers:

Mid range jumpers last year (shots outside the lane but inside the three point line):

Geronimo 46% (11 of 24)

Thompson 42% (15 of 36)

Bates 38% (12 of 32)

TJD 32% (8 of 25)

Kopp 31% (10 of 61)

Johnson 29% (20 of 70)

Stewart 25% (7 of 25)

Galloway 25% (2 of 8)

Phinisee 16% (3 of 19) 

23 hours ago, btownqb said:

I get that. Thats not just on him to get him those opportunities though. That's why its not just "shooters" that we need. 

You're right, but in order to get more opportunities he's gotta show he can take advantage of them. It's a hand-in-hand effort from him and the coaches.

9 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I have a difficult time thinking this team will be improved enough offensively if we play TJD and Race together a lot like we did this past season. Race had a very hard time playing the stretch 4 spot. He can't create his own shot off the dribble and he isn't good jump shooter. (He is a really bad FT shooter.) In many cases, I thought JG out performed Race late in the season. JG may be a better stretch 4. 

Also, CMW said very plainly that shooting was our greatest need for next season, but so far we haven't done much to improve in that area. Perhaps Gallo and Bates really improve, or maybe Banks is a great surprise, but I'm skeptical that without a new stretch 4 and new talent on the wings that next season will be much better offensively.  

Players can improve, so I'm hopeful but not optimistic. Part of me thinks how can I expect different results with the same players in the same system. 

Race was a good stretch-4 the last third of the season. He shot ~40+% from 3. His improvement there and XJ’s increased 3pt percentage really picked up the slack from Stewart and Kopps (to a lesser extent) drop off. 

If he can keep that up—and maybe it was an anomaly, but seemed promising—he’s not only an ideal stretch-4 but much more. He still rebounds and defends his position well and can play small spurts at the 5 in small ball units to give TJD a breather. 

Honestly, if XJ and Race both return and shoot like they did at the end of the season—two big if’s—we already start out so much better than last season. We don’t need to be as desperate to force shooters onto the floor at the other 2 perimeter spots. A second “if”…is that if guys like this freshman or JG and Bates can hit about 35% from 3, we all of a sudden have a squad that looks drastically different from last year and very frisky on offense. 

I don’t expect all of those things to happen. But we have enough “outs” that there’s a decent chance we can pair an (at least) average offense with our very good defense. 

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Apparently not. 

IU basketball uniform changes are few and far between so the slightest change to the fabric/trim/number fonts/etc. are easy to pick up. (Cue the Kansas/IU game where Adidas makes both teams suit up in red/green Xmas unis)

9 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

IU basketball uniform changes are few and far between so the slightest change to the fabric/trim/number fonts/etc. are easy to pick up. (Cue the Kansas/IU game where Adidas makes both teams suit up in red/green Xmas unis)

@ KU is the perfect time for a new crimson script Indiana alternate.

9 minutes ago, Demo said:

The only right thing to do.

This just makes it harder for the coaching staff to know if we need to replace him or not.  Also will a player like Reneau commit if he doesn't know if TJD will be back