Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

11 hours ago, jk34 said:

Agree on all of this. Not to mention, JG showed a nice, quick mid range pull up jumper, as well. I would be ecstatic if Woody gave him the keys at the 3. His bright future, has SF written all over it. Next step in development is key this off-season. 

I like this thought but he really needs to work on his handle to play the three.Has to be able to put the ball on the floor and get around people. I've not seen that yet and hope that's his focus this off season.That and better decisions in defense.

The rest is there.

14 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

I like this thought but he really needs to work on his handle to play the three.Has to be able to put the ball on the floor and get around people. I've not seen that yet and hope that's his focus this off season.That and better decisions in defense.

The rest is there.

His handles aren't really any worse than Kopps. He's definitely more athletic than Kopp side to side. He doesn't need to be Kyrie Irving with the ball. He just needs to be able to catch the ball. If he can be respected from 3, a good shot fake and just a couple dribbles should be enough for him. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

There is just no way I can see Miller Kopp starting

I think Kopp starts. He and Xavier are now the best 3-point shooters on the team. And Woodson likes Kopp. If TJD and/or Race Thompson move on (it seems likely that at least one isn't back), Geronimo will play the 4 where he is most comfortable.

10 hours ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Yeah Kopp being left out was not intentional,  I guess he should be ahead of Leal and Gunn, but don’t think he should be starting.

I get that and I don’t necessarily think he should start either but again, going by what I saw from Woodson, his resistance to change the starting lineup for any reason other than injuries, his quotes and mentality on Upper Classmen, I am anticipating Kopp starting whether we all like it or not. Question is, will it be at the 2 or 3. Personally I think the 2 suits him better than the 3 position. Depending on what happens to X, I could see this as the starting lineup going into next year:

1. X or JHS

2. Kopp

3. Geronimo

4. Thompson

5. TJD

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

The rest is there.

His burst/explosiveness is what stands out to me. With the ability to hit the 3, pull up for midrange, or get to the rim, his ballhandling is not that big of a concern for me.(although, it needs work). The 2&3 position last year,  offered non of the above.

Agree 100% on the decision making on D, and on the break. Staying out of foul trouble, is my biggest concern.

The rest is definitely there!!

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I think Kopp starts. He and Xavier are now the best 3-point shooters on the team. And Woodson likes Kopp. If TJD and/or Race Thompson move on (it seems likely that at least one isn't back), Geronimo will play the 4 where he is most comfortable.

I agree but I think regardless of who comes back Kopp is starting.  Some are saying they would be shocked if he is starting next year.  I would be more shocked if he is not.  

3 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I agree but I think regardless of who comes back Kopp is starting.  Some are saying they would be shocked if he is starting next year.  I would be more shocked if he is not.  

I would be more shocked if he is finishing. 

30 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I fear you are correct. If he continues to show he's the same player he's been the majority of the last 4 years... we SHOULD move on to a different option.

11 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I didn’t say finishing.  As of right now on 4/8 Miller Kopp is the one starting spot I feel 100% sure about starting game #1.

I have no idea on 4/8 who will be starting. But I'm confident and excited for the first time in awhile. That is, if we return/add the players mentioned above. 

54 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I didn’t say finishing.  As of right now on 4/8 Miller Kopp is the one starting spot I feel 100% sure about starting game #1.

I don't agree and here's why. Stewart was a mainstay in the starting lineup and yet I think he was still told he wouldn't have the same role, or maybe any role, if he came back. Kopp is good buddies with TJD so I think maybe they've taken a different approach with him, but I'm not sure him starting last year means a whole lot moving forward.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Honkyman -- I'm not sure what is happening when you are quoting, but it appears that when you are trying to use a quote from someone it is pulling up someone that replied to them.  The quote you gave was from Chris but it said I gave it (but I do agree with what he had said).  No big deal, just thought you might not be aware of it as it's happened a couple of times.

I'm still of the opinion that JG can play the three -- especially given time in the offseason to work there.  At the minimum, he can split time between the 3 and 4 to get more time on the court.

I don't think you can just look at turnovers and say that he doesn't handle the ball well enough.  The difference between JG and Kopp in terms of their offense is that Kopp is really just a catch and shoot player -- those types of players typically don't turn it over much because they aren't putting the ball on the floor much.  Geronimo can score at a couple of levels, including on drives where more turnovers are going to occur.  It's basically an exchange of getting higher percentage shots from JG at the cost of turning it over more.  Statistically if they had played the same amount of time last year (25 minutes per game), you would have expected JG to turn it over 1 more time game.....so the question would does the difference between them warrant that?  I would argue that on the defensive end alone it does and that offensively JG will score as many points in one less possession/game than Kopp did -- at least the Kopp we saw last year.  And that hasn't even factored in the difference in rebounds.

59 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I don't agree and here's why. Stewart was a mainstay in the starting lineup and yet I think he was still told he wouldn't have the same role, or maybe any role, if he came back. Kopp is good buddies with TJD so I think maybe they've taken a different approach with him, but I'm not sure him starting last year means a whole lot moving forward.

I guess we will just disagree and that’s ok.  

I don’t see anyone on the wing beating out Miller Kopp.  

We all hope and want Bates/Jordan to be those guys but beating out an experienced senior in Kopp I don’t see happening.  

I love the improvement  that Jordan showed as the season progressed but under Woodson playing time is earned on the defensive end first and while Bates/Jordan are good individual defenders they also sometimes get lost or get out of position. Kopp might get beat in some matchups but he will know where he is supposed to be and is a very good help defender and gets his hands on a lot of balls.  He also will not turn the ball over and make bad decisions as much as the younger guys.

Kopp is still also our best shooter.  It’s been said that he really puts on a show and lights it up at practice.  Sure it hasn’t translated to games and he hasn’t scored as much as we like but I still think he is our best option on the wing. Bates/Jordan would have to have a really great summer to beat him out in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

We all hope and want Bates/Jordan to be those guys but beating out an experienced senior in Kopp I don’t see happening.  

I love the improvement  that Jordan showed as the season progressed but under Woodson playing time is earned on the defensive end first and while Bates/Jordan are good individual defenders they also sometimes get lost or get out of position. Kopp might get beat in some matchups but he will know where he is supposed to be and is a very good help defender and gets his hands on a lot of balls.  He also will not turn the ball over and make bad decisions as much as the younger guys.

Kopp is still also our best shooter.  It’s been said that he really puts on a show and lights it up at practice.  Sure it hasn’t translated to games and he hasn’t scored as much as we like but I still think he is our best option on the wing.  Bates/Jordan would have to have a really great summer to beat him out in my opinion.

Hitting in practice doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate to games though.  Last season he shot right in line with his career average, so if he's our best shooter I'd consider that an indictment of everyone else more than a credit to him.

30 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Kopp is still also our best shooter.  It’s been said that he really puts on a show and lights it up at practice.  Sure it hasn’t translated to games and he hasn’t scored as much as we like but I still think he is our best option on the wing. Bates/Jordan would have to have a really great summer to beat him out in my opinion.

I've never quite understood the obsession fans have with who starts a game. Me included in that. But if I'm a player I'm worried about who is on the floor for the last 10 minutes of a close game. 

38 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I've never quite understood the obsession fans have with who starts a game. Me included in that. But if I'm a player I'm worried about who is on the floor for the last 10 minutes of a close game. 

My 5 vs ur 5.  Perceived best 5. Goes back to pickup basketball.  6,7,8 aren’t usually the reason you win games.  But if you are truly 8 deep you can ride the hot hand. 

purdue was interesting in this way with Edey vs Williams all year. 

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don't know if Woodson will continue to start Kopp because of his experience and the 'threat' of his shooting (which, realistically, is about all it was this season), but if he does, in my book it's a  real mistake. We're clearly better on both sides of the ball with Geronimo playing significant minutes.

First, it's hard, if not boneheaded, to ignore Geronimo's clearly far better offensive contributions 

- per 40 min: 13.8 ppg (Kopp: 9.5), FG% 52% (Kopp: 36%). The 3PT% is for Kopp at 36%, but Geronimo's total is 31% and better over the last few games when Kopp barely put the ball in the basket while Geronimo was key down the stretch.

- per 100 possession: Geronimo's ORtg 102.8 (Kopp 97.8). I mean, that's not close.

Defensively, how do you not include rebounding - Geronimo's 11.3 per 40 is best on the team (excluding Childress, Duncomb who barely played). That's an outstanding number.

Hell, his DRtg per 100 possessions (points allowed) is miles better than Kopp, 94.6 (behind TJD and Race, not counting Childress, Duncomb) to Kopp's 102.7. Or Geronimo's blocks? 2.2 per 40, second best on team, to Kopp's .4.

Kopp's D? Geronimo is way better defensively. Kopp absolutely got beat on possession , Geronimo rarely got beat individually, agree early on he would get lost but he clearly improved during the course of the year and made the team much better, defensively, when he was on the floor, including vis a vis Kopp. 

As I've said before this is not to dis Kopp, his experience, hard work on the floor, and at least the promise of his shooting has real value, but Geronimo absolutely should be playing more, whether or not he starts, and in my book his starting over Kopp should be an easy call. Kid can shoot too. Has to better his handle for more wing play, but I'd bet on that happening over the summer, his handle improved during the season.