Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You can transition to that type of team and those type of players though.  Was it better for us to have made the tournament this year than to not?  I would argue yes.  Would losing both Race and TJD have meant that next year was more questionable in the W/L column?  I would also argue yes.

I believe we can add one more player this year, Reneau would be a guy you grab if you can get him, but I would be looking for the most dynamic scoring wing available in the portal if not him.  You figure that (hopefully) Bates of Schifino will lock down that 2 guard spot.  So to me the thing that this team most needs will be consistency at Miller Kopp's position that he was not able to bring this year.  Having somebody knock down those wide open shots that TJD was getting guys would make this team a Big Ten title contender IMO.  We might not win it, but I think we would be in the discussion.  Several of the teams above us are losing quite a bit.  We would be bringing back our core.

A team that is doing well makes future recruiting easier.  So keep the core together and work on turning the roster to a more Mike Woodson looking roster in 2023 and beyond.

I can agree if Race, or someone starting in his place, becomes a consistent threat from 3. Otherwise, I see the same problems we have had for the past several seasons. I also don't want to drive any of our 'future' into the portal because of lack of minutes at a position.

4 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I can agree if Race, or someone starting in his place, becomes a consistent threat from 3. Otherwise, I see the same problems we have had for the past several seasons. I also don't want to drive any of our 'future' into the portal because of lack of minutes at a position.

True, although to me most of the future is starting next year with JHS, Banks, Gunn, and then the following year with Cupps and Newton.

Most of the guys on the team right now are transitional players.  What you would like to see happen is Indiana making the tournament over the next 4 years, starting to consistently compete more in the BIG, maybe make a second weekend or 2 push over that time, and then really be hitting stride in year 5.  That gives 5 to 7 solid years for Woodson to try and make hay with the recruiting that you would hope develops as guys want to get on board with a resurging blue blood with NIL money to burn.

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think Race & TJD got the deals they want, plus more coming. Let's see if JG gets a nice NIL deal or he decides to take his chances someplace else. 

Chris, what do you think on Geronimo? Personally, I’m undecided what he does

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Chris, what do you think on Geronimo? Personally, I’m undecided what he does

I really don't know. I thought Race was going to the portal then gets a huge NIL deal so most likely staying now. I'm guessing JG is weighing his options. I think IU is pushing, trying to convince him to stay, so we'll see. 

2 hours ago, pumpfake said:

So you're saying replacing Stewart with Hood-Schifino would make us appreciably better?

I can't get on board with that strategy.

List of IU's best 12 incoming recruits since 2000 according to 247sports:

1.  Eric Gordon

2.  Romeo Langford

3.  Noah Vonleh

4.  Cody Zeller

5.  D.J. White

6.  James Blackmon

7.  Yogi Ferrell

8.  Jalen Hood-Shifino

9. Thomas Bryant

10. Khristain Lander (although it should be noted that his ranking was in comparison to the junior class)

11. Tamar Bates

12. Trayce Jackson Davis

Overall......I'd say the odds are pretty good of him being pretty darn good as a freshman.  He is the highest rated Big Ten recruit this upcoming season.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

List of IU's best 12 incoming recruits since 2000 according to 247sports:

1.  Eric Gordon

2.  Romeo Langford

3.  Noah Vonleh

4.  Cody Zeller

5.  D.J. White

6.  James Blackmon

7.  Yogi Ferrell

8.  Jalen Hood-Shifino

9. Thomas Bryant

10. Khristain Lander (although it should be noted that his ranking was in comparison to the junior class)

11. Tamar Bates

12. Trayce Jackson Davis

Overall......I'd say the odds are pretty good of him being pretty darn good as a freshman.  He is the highest rated Big Ten recruit this upcoming season.

He also already has a college body, he's a big, strong pt/combo guard. That goes a long way to readiness to contribute

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He also already has a college body, he's a big, strong pt/combo guard. That goes a long way to readiness to contribute

Yep.  6'5" and Montverde -- a team STACKED with talent -- used him as their defensive stopper and typically assigned him to the opposition's best offensive player.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

No, I'm saying that replacing

1. Durr,
  2. Lander,
  3. Stewart, and
  4. Phin with
  1. JHS,
  2. Banks,
  3. Gunn, and
  4. a portal transfer,

...along with the natural progression and development by Trey, Tamar, Jordan, and Trayce will make us appreciably better.

...and also along with Woody and staff learning what offense works with our roster and at this level. We seemed to get much more in tune with 'pick and roll with a post on the opposite block' the last month of the season.

Your post didn't mention anything about an undisclosed portal player, nor Gunn or Banks - it was our returning players + JHS.  I hope the kid turns out to be a freshman impact player (and he may be).  Freshmen, even 5 stars can be a roll of the dice.  Will we see multiplw players make huge improvements? Again, I hope so, maybe this will be the year it happens.

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Your post didn't mention anything about an undisclosed portal player, nor Gunn or Banks - it was our returning players + JHS.  I hope the kid turns out to be a freshman impact player (and he may be).  Freshmen, even 5 stars can be a roll of the dice.  Will we see multiplw players make huge improvements? Again, I hope so, maybe this will be the year it happens.

Which you rather have:  incoming five-star, highest rated incoming Big Ten freshman player or Parker Stewart?

I think that's a pretty easy one myself.

54 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Ken Nunn loves IU but mostly I think Ken Nunn loves Ken Nunn. He also loves cruising campus looking at girls

I used to serve him on a weekly basis. He'd come in Mon-Fri at the same time and order the exact same stuff. If a guy was the server, tip was $12. If the server was female, the tip was $13. LOL