Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

I am hoping this is a situation where we are giving these deals to players as an enticement to stay. Agreed I can’t see Race doing this if he is planning on leaving for somewhere several states over, and I imagine that Trayce has more reach x10 than anyone else on the list. Hopefully someone finally said “Hey here’s a 100k check to stay on campus for a year and help us win some games”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know IU was looking to be involved but do you think we choose who gets them or would that be the company paying

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, cthomas said:

As much as I like keeping certain guys out of the portal, we need an infusion of a different kind of talent to play the way CMW wants to play. I don't think we can get by standing pat with who we have.

100% agree. That being said, I think this has to mean both guys are back next year.

22 minutes ago, cthomas said:

As much as I like keeping certain guys out of the portal, we need an infusion of a different kind of talent to play the way CMW wants to play. I don't think we can get by standing pat with who we have.

Yeah, Geronimo is a player I want back just as much as Trayce. If someone has to leave in order for him to be retained, then so be it.

How would we have done against Wyoming without JG? I'm still convinced we'd have won the BTT with a healthy Geronimo.

51 minutes ago, cleeter said:

That's what I am wondering. It did say that they can be "former athletes, or athletes that turn professional could still help/participate"
So is it a quick grab, or something they plan to carry with them after leaving IU. I just dont see what Race could offer unless he is doing this while enrolled. Or I am just totally misreading it.

Maybe the offer is with knowledge/belief of Race returning, although it isn't/can't be tied to Race returning?

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Maybe the offer is with knowledge/belief of Race returning, although it isn't/can't be tied to Race returning?

I feel like that one liner is just covering all of the bases. I would think it would be odd to give this to race because its not like hes going to be drafted. Tjd at least has that appeal to him. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Well if so, then thank you NIL and buckle up boys and girls. Next year is gonna be a really good one!

Some of you may be tempted to dismiss the value of them coming back because it would be the "less interesting option." For me? I would find it incredibly interesting to see IUBB kick some @$$ in year two of the Woodson era. A rotation that includes Trayce, Race, X, JHS, Tamar, Jordan G, Miller ZK, and Trey is a winner winner winner.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well if so, then thank you NIL and buckle up boys and girls. Next year is gonna be a really good one!

Some of you may be tempted to dismiss the value of them coming back because it would be the "less interesting option." For me? I would find it incredibly interesting to see IUBB kick some @$$ in year two of the Woodson era. A rotation that includes Trayce, Race, X, JHS, Tamar, Jordan G, Miller ZK, and Trey is a winner winner winner.

So you're saying replacing Stewart with Hood-Schifino would make us appreciably better?

I can't get on board with that strategy.

If they come back we are going to be really good y’all. I know the grief over getting new guys, shooters, etc. but imagine what this team would’ve been if X performed all year like he did the last 10 games. Add in a 5 star backcourt mate? We would most likely start 3 preseason all BIG players and a 5 star guard with another coming first off bench…as Michael Scott would say, I’m ready to get hurt again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

You can transition to that type of team and those type of players though.  Was it better for us to have made the tournament this year than to not?  I would argue yes.  Would losing both Race and TJD have meant that next year was more questionable in the W/L column?  I would also argue yes.

I believe we can add one more player this year, Reneau would be a guy you grab if you can get him, but I would be looking for the most dynamic scoring wing available in the portal if not him.  You figure that (hopefully) Bates of Schifino will lock down that 2 guard spot.  So to me the thing that this team most needs will be consistency at Miller Kopp's position that he was not able to bring this year.  Having somebody knock down those wide open shots that TJD was getting guys would make this team a Big Ten title contender IMO.  We might not win it, but I think we would be in the discussion.  Several of the teams above us are losing quite a bit.  We would be bringing back our core.

A team that is doing well makes future recruiting easier.  So keep the core together and work on turning the roster to a more Mike Woodson looking roster in 2023 and beyond.

If Thompson and Davis came back it'd be a big help to the front court, especially Davis.  Not sure where the shooting comes from because no one on the roster is any better than average and I don't know Gunn will be ready on the defensive end for many minutes.