Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

Just now, IUc2016 said:

I understand the point

I also understand that the point isn’t reality in college basketball 

You don't think Indiana could add a player from the portal or maybe Thiero or Foumena that could be better than the worst 5 on the team?

Just now, IUc2016 said:

I don’t think they need to get rid of Anthony leal to add them…

Have to keep in mind with all the moving parts, every time you someone from the portal you make it more likely someone on your team joins the portal.  

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I don’t think they need to get rid of Anthony leal to add them…

Perhaps not. I was responding to someone saying Leal was 13th so it doesn't matter, like any replacement would be slotted 13th. It doesn't have to work that way.

The guy can’t play at this level. IQ doesn’t matter from the end of the bench. You have to go back 25 years to find a lesser talented Mr Basketball.

I remember at one point in time people questioning the likes of Jordan Hulls and his ability to play at this level. He just so happened to work his a** off to be able to do so and I don’t doubt Leal’s efforts or goals to do the same.

And on this team, just be able to shoot the three. We need a shooter. He’s capable. Matt Roth even had to play defense in the B1G.

Leal is the type that could turn into a real assessment as an upperclassman.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Perhaps not. I was responding to someone saying Leal was 13th so it doesn't matter, like any replacement would be slotted 13th. It doesn't have to work that way.

Wouldn't he, at worst, be #12 right now?  We have three coming in and Lander, Phin, Durr, and Stewart in the portal.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

He's actually much better as an overall player, at this point in their careers, then Hulls.... outside of one ungodly lethal 3pt shot. 

AL was never a sharp shooter in HS. I'm more than willing to bet he understands where he needs to improve. Enjoyed coaching against him. 

By no means will it shock me when he contributes in years to come. 

Seriously? Hulls was averaging 11 ppg and shooting 40% from three in his second year

8 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I remember at one point in time people questioning the likes of Jordan Hulls and his ability to play at this level. He just so happened to work his a** off to be able to do so and I don’t doubt Leal’s efforts or goals to do the same.

And on this team, just be able to shoot the three. We need a shooter. He’s capable. Matt Roth even had to play defense in the B1G.

Leal is the type that could turn into a real assessment as an upperclassman.

Selective memory. Hulls was a legitimate B1G player in his second year. Roth shot threes like layups but couldn’t guard at this level. Leal is Like Roth without the shot.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

He's actually much better as an overall player, at this point in their careers, then Hulls.... outside of one ungodly lethal 3pt shot. 

AL was never a sharp shooter in HS. I'm more than willing to bet he understands where he needs to improve. Enjoyed coaching against him. 

By no means will it shock me when he contributes in years to come. 

Also, when Leal came into games this year he instantly provided energy, hustle, and heart that made the team play better. I was at the Big10 home opener against Nebraska, and as soon as Leal got in the team played way better. He may not be a starter, but he’s better than what people are given him credit for. 
Secondly, Hulls was on a much worse team so he got to play more. He deserves to be on this team and will help!

17 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Seriously? Hulls was averaging 11 ppg and shooting 40% from three in his second year

Hulls also came into a different situation. Who all was ahead of him his freshman year? Leal had Durham, Franklin and Phinisee. Leal got to play 11 mpg in 20 games. Hulls came into a situation where he was originally behind Verdell, Dumes and Creek. Creek only played 12 games. Hulls ended up playing 25 minutes in 31 games and 17 starts. Leal could have started on those teams. They were almost a D2 team. But Hulls got invaluable experience his freshman year that Leal just hasn't gotten the opportunity to. End of the year, I would have rather had Leal on the floor than Galloway. 

Leal made the team better every time he played. He doesn't provide Galloway's energy but he's just so steady and plays so smart. He has a decent 3-point shot that with a little more work could become reliable. And, a reliable 3-point shot would move Leal ahead of Galloway in the rotation.

Selective memory. Hulls was a legitimate B1G player in his second year. Roth shot threes like layups but couldn’t guard at this level. Leal is Like Roth without the shot.

But do you agree a guy like Leal who is willing to work for it could easily improve that shot and be an asset? And he has more physical ability to develop and be serviceable defensively if you’re going to compare him to Roth.

56 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Also, when Leal came into games this year he instantly provided energy, hustle, and heart that made the team play better. I was at the Big10 home opener against Nebraska, and as soon as Leal got in the team played way better. He may not be a starter, but he’s better than what people are given him credit for. 
Secondly, Hulls was on a much worse team so he got to play more. He deserves to be on this team and will help!

Yep. I see it how you it, boss!

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

I know that. Neither of those #s change that AL is a better all around player then Hulls... outside of Hulls incredible trait. 

AL is 6-7in taller, longer, way more athletic. He has just as good basketball IQ, shocker with both playing under JR Holmes.... he rebounds better. Absolutely better defensively, holy cow. 

I absolutely love Hulls, but don't allow his 3pt shooting to cloud your memory of the rest of his game. 

Leal is a perfect 12-13 guy. Its honesty irrelevant, he isn't leaving. 

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

How legit could Hulls have been for us to be 12-20? AL is just immensely better then Roth. Silly comparison. 

Two players immediately stated they fully committed to IU after Miller was fired:  Galloway and Leal.
loyalty should rewarded.  That is part of building a culture.  We currently have an extra spot already and likely there is going to be at least one more.

Who do you anticipate that to be? Race?