Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I'd like to retain him as a project player, but I'm not sure his "ceiling" is extremely high (I hope I'm wrong - especially if he stays).

Regarding his lack of strength, I've read the staff wanted him to redshirt (like Race did), but he and his family rejected that idea - maybe unrealistic expectations on their part? IDK.  Also, while not an apples to oranges comparison, the skinny kid at gonzaga is physically "worse" but played very well this year.

Haha as in you read what Chris posted yesterday?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

It's the same people who complained all year that we don't have enough talent. I think I read where the players leaving averaged something like 16 points. So no worries. We haven't lost anyone who has hurt us IMO

No worries on my end, I would only start to worry if we see Logan, TJD, Race, JG all leave in addition to those already gone that to me would be a sign that something is wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He doesn't and he will be gone if they both come back IMO. That's why I don't think Race comes back

I know TJD and Race are close.  Do you think whatever they do they will do together as far as staying or leaving?  If that’s the case this might take awhile to figure out if TJD decides to wait on feedback from the NBA.

3 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

So what’s your alternative solution?

Here is my proposed amendment to the current portal:

Players can only transfer under these circumstances without sitting out 1 year (as a red shirt year or lose a year of eligibility):

1. After Sophomore Year

2. As a Grad Transfer 

3. If player is dismissed from team by coach/university

4. If current coach leaves the program

5. Hardship Waiver

8 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I know TJD and Race are close.  Do you think whatever they do they will do together as far as staying or leaving?  If that’s the case this might take awhile to figure out if TJD decides to wait on feedback from the NBA.

It's a good thought.  They are a dynamic duo that I could see staying together or leaving together.  Kopp seemed tight with TJD too as much as I could tell.  

So far the staff are moving the right pieces imo, very curious to see how it shakes out.  

Honest to God, the most interesting thing to me in this entire thread is that, in this era of accelerated degree plans, Miller Kopp, after 3 years at Northwestern and a year at IU, won’t graduate until December. That floors me.

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

Honest to God, the most interesting thing to me in this entire thread is that, in this era of accelerated degree plans, Miller Kopp, after 3 years at Northwestern and a year at IU, won’t graduate until December. That floors me.

He's in a Masters program. I don't think it's an undergrad degree

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

The right players are leaving.  Coach Woodson will be upgrading those areas. If JG or Race leave , it will be they want to be closer to home. There are probably a couple more kids who need to make a decision. I appreciate their hard work and dedication of those who have entered the portal. Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier!

I do think we have an opportunity to significantly upgrade the talent on the team. However, what happens if we get something like Race going to Providence and JG going somewhere in the south? I love these speculations presented as positive statements.

Just now, btownqb said:

imo no

Who else? 

Locks: Leal, Galloway, JHS, Gunn, Banks

Probably:

Bates: His dad posted positive social media info about coming back next year

X: Phinisee and Lander leaving give positive indications he's coming back

Kopp : Graduating in December and good teammate, so I don't see a reason to transfer or push him out.

54 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don't think so, both have to make decisions for themselves.

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I get what you're saying and I'm not directing this at you specifically, but....

Daily/weekly/monthly/whatever reminder to anyone who needs to hear it that Indiana basketball is, indeed, a big program. 

It's also worth noting that we weren't that far off from the kind of winning he might be hoping for. Unless he's determined to try to latch on to a national title contender, which will not be guaranteed wherever he were to land. And he could be a very key piece to this (big) program winning next season, at a place he's already familiar with where he knows his teammates and the system already. 

He's been in Bloomington since late 2017, which is absurd. I would love for him to come back but maybe it's time for him to hit the road and explore life a little bit at another school? His emotional senior day was intriguing. He would indeed be a major player for our team next year, but we're not winning a title next year. 

Maybe if a contending team shows interest behind the scenes, wink wink, then he'll opt for different pastures. 

13 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

Who else? 

Locks: Leal, Galloway, JHS, Gunn, Banks

Probably:

Bates: His dad posted positive social media info about coming back next year

X: Phinisee and Lander leaving give positive indications he's coming back

Kopp : Graduating in December and good teammate, so I don't see a reason to transfer or push him out.

I was agreeing with you. "Is it wrong to say" --- and I said "in my opinion, no." Meaning no you aren't. Sorry about that. 

7 minutes ago, Trish said:

He's been in Bloomington since late 2017, which is absurd. I would love for him to come back but maybe it's time for him to hit the road and explore life a little bit at another school? His emotional senior day was intriguing. He would indeed be a major player for our team next year, but we're not winning a title next year. 

Maybe if a contending team shows interest behind the scenes, wink wink, then he'll opt for different pastures. 

As someone else said Marquette, Creighton would all be good options