Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB Players in the Portal/Draft Exploratory Status

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’m one of the apparent few who loves the portal. I think it’s the best for the game and offers the best chances at getting better faster. Xavier Johnson made us a tournament team. 

It definitely helps expedite a rebuild. The downside is between transfers and 1&done, it’s getting harder to connect with players and identify them as a “true Hoosier” or a “real Dukie.”  

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That is why Miller Kopp I believe will be here next year. He used his COVID transfer and he won't graduate from IU till December. So unless he is forced to leave he can't go anywhere. 

Ncaa passes out waivers like candy though.    Akinjo transferred from Georgetown to Arizona to Baylor and didn’t have to sit out any of them 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ncaa passes out waivers like candy though.    Akinjo transferred from Georgetown to Arizona to Baylor and didn’t have to sit out any of them 

I think he got the waiver the first time. The second transfer used that "one time" exception. They don't count the waivers as their free one

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

You are correct about that. In the old days no one got a waiver, and now they pass them out like Oprah with cars

44 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Tough, but needed.  

Phin always seems so close. His shot looks good, just doesn’t go in enough.  He has a tendency to pound the ball.  Very solid defensively. Sometimes good at driving. Wouldn’t be shocked if it clicked for him as a transfer and he makes an impact.  But, with Bates, JHS, and hopefully X, we should be Gucci at Guard.

He’s one of those guys who come in as a freshman and everyone is excited because he’s good and smart and plays hard. We start doing the math in our heads on him improving each year and his shot getting better. And then….it never happens.  

If anything he got worse, especially this year. He went 7/17 from the FT line and only had one season over 70% from the stripe. You are unplayable in close games at that point.  

Seems like a good guy, and he always gave great effort. We won’t forget his game against Purdue or shot to beat Butler. But it’s pretty obvious  his time here was coming to an end. He was a borderline below-avg backup PG this year as a senior. 

13 hours ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Followed up with. Maybe the LL stands for Long Live

good luck to you Parker in whatever your future holds!

FWIW, Stewart is NOT listed in the transfer portal (https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022) as of this moment... not sure what that means... transfer or just done with basketball.

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That is why Miller Kopp I believe will be here next year. He used his COVID transfer and he won't graduate from IU till December. So unless he is forced to leave he can't go anywhere. 

I don't know if I can hack watching Geronimo playing behind Kopp another season. Hopefully Woody puts him on the bench behind hIm and Bates.

2 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

I don't know if I can hack watching Geronimo playing behind Kopp another season. Hopefully Woody puts him on the bench behind hIm and Bates.

I don't think he will be playing behind him, maybe beside him but I think Kopp will be used less. I also think it will help Kopp out by not being in with Stewart

5 minutes ago, IGotMeAWoody said:

Kopp and JG could play together at the 3 and 4. All depends on who is coming back though

Yeah,but that leaves Tamar out if the lineup and neither one of them can put the ball on the floor and get into the lane.

Like you said though it's all just conjecture until we know what the final roster looks like.

I don't think he will be playing behind him, maybe beside him but I think Kopp will be used less. I also think it will help Kopp out by not being in with Stewart

I think this was the big thing. Two guys that provide a lot of the same, having both out there on an off night was tough. If you just play one they have a better chance to get in rhythm and you don’t lose 2/5 player‘a worth of offensive output if they’re not shooting it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

We all like Bates but he has to earn it.  He didn’t this year.  If Woodson can’t trust him on the defensive end then he isn’t going to start over Kopp.  
I don’t know where Geronimo fits if TJD and Race both come back.  We will have to see how that plays out.

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

We all like Bates but he has to earn it.  He didn’t this year.  If Woodson can’t trust him on the defensive end then he isn’t going to start over Kopp.  
I don’t know where Geronimo fits if TJD and Race both come back.  We will have to see how that plays out.

He doesn't and he will be gone if they both come back IMO. That's why I don't think Race comes back

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

Everyone is on Duncomb leaving, maybe some have heard this from sources, but I don’t get it. He came in weak physically, we knew it was going to take a year or two before he was ready to play physically. The suspension was obviously a bump in the road but hopefully he’s figured it out. He is the year 3 and year 4 player at Wisconsin that we all say where did this kid come from…a big who can shoot, this is sooo annoying. I for one hope he sticks around.

I'd like to retain him as a project player, but I'm not sure his "ceiling" is extremely high (I hope I'm wrong - especially if he stays).

Regarding his lack of strength, I've read the staff wanted him to redshirt (like Race did), but he and his family rejected that idea - maybe unrealistic expectations on their part? IDK.  Also, while not an apples to oranges comparison, the skinny kid at gonzaga is physically "worse" but played very well this year.

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I'd like to retain him as a project player, but I'm not sure his "ceiling" is extremely high (I hope I'm wrong - especially if he stays).

Regarding his lack of strength, I've read the staff wanted him to redshirt (like Race did), but he and his family rejected that idea - maybe unrealistic expectations on their part? IDK.  Also, while not an apples to oranges comparison, the skinny kid at gonzaga is physically "worse" but played very well this year.

Chet's physical build might be the only glaring downside to him. Anyone who can handle, shoot, pass, rebound and rim protect while being  7'0" will do great in college. If Duncomb could do just two of those things at Chet's level, we got a good player. Time will tell though...