Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Big Ten basketball is a mess

7 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I think it’s a little more complex than that in my opinion. Woodson’s style of play carries over to the big dance, but the Big Ten through the course of the season does a number on you. Big ten athletes just look flat out beat up when playing fresher opponents. 

I really don’t understand people’s comments like this. There is nothing about the bigten that makes players beat up or not fresh when it comes tourney time. One could say the bigten tourney might as it ends so late but but not the style of play. 

I really don’t understand people’s comments like this. There is nothing about the bigten that makes players beat up or not fresh when it comes tourney time. One could say the bigten tourney might as it ends so late but but not the style of play. 
I think it all just comes down to the talent in the B10 is just not as good as other conferences. Our style of play may lead other schools recruiting against the B10 as a whole where they are able to convince them that it does not translate to the next level or in the tournament. Top talent doesn't come to the B10.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

I think it all just comes down to the talent in the B10 is just not as good as other conferences. Our style of play may lead other schools recruiting against the B10 as a whole where they are able to convince them that it does not translate to the next level or in the tournament. Top talent doesn't come to the B10.

100% the bigten lacks elite  athletes. It’s not all that different in basketball as it is in football. The elite athletes for the most part are not found in the bigten. That doesn’t mean there isn’t talented players, far from it but those guys are usually very skilled, not overly athletic 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I would like to see what would happen if a team went and recruited to play small ball in the Big Ten.  Would the officiating adjust?

I would like to see IU play 3 guys at 6’8” that are versital, long, athletic etc and play with pace and team defend/switching etc

i think it would work well

22 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s not always about talent. U need a piece here and there but there have been many examples of deep tourney runs without star power (the team that beat Purdue or the Maryland team that beat us (they didn’t have one McDonald’s all American in their team).  If you don’t think it has some effect, I ‘m not going to try to convince you. I’m a consultant with both Duke and UNC and when I was involved in their athletic departments they used this reasoning to sway recruits away from the big ten. You change the style of play , I guarantee you better players come to the conference. 

2 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

It’s not always about talent. U need a piece here and there but there have been many examples of deep tourney runs without star power (the team that beat Purdue or the Maryland team that beat us (they didn’t have one McDonald’s all American in their team).  If you don’t think it has some effect, I ‘m not going to try to convince you. I’m a consultant with both Duke and UNC and when I was involved in their athletic departments they used this reasoning to sway recruits away from the big ten. You change the style of play , I guarantee you better players come to the conference. 

I’m no consultant but scouts i know have said similar things

5 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I feel like you misinterpreted my post. My comment was about those that say the bigten beats players up so they are not healthy for the big dance. 

I remember one coach saying ( I overheard when we were trying to get a the same recruit) to recruit. “ By the time tournament starts, they play (big ten teams) like turtles.” Not saying they're  injured, I’m saying they’re a step slower come tournament time.  

48 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

To me the problem is the style of play which results in not getting more top talent to come to the big ten.

I think it’s a little more complex than that in my opinion. Woodson’s style of play carries over to the big dance, but the Big Ten through the course of the season does a number on you. Big ten athletes just look flat out beat up when playing fresher opponents. 
I wouldn't disagree with you. I was referring only to the style of play in the league. I think Woodson's style of play will translate to the tournament ok once he gets the level of athlete/player he's looking for. The roster hampered him this year. I also think playing 20 games in conference plus a brutal conference tournament is a factor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I remember one coach saying ( I overheard when we were trying to get a the same recruit) to recruit. “ By the time tournament starts, they play (big ten teams) like turtles.” Not saying they're  injured, I’m saying they’re a step slower come tournament time.  

They are a step slower all the time, hence the speed/pace/athleticism or the lack thereof you see in the bigten. It’s not like they get slower throughout the year

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

My takeaway from this tourney and most over the last 20 years is that we don’t need to have giant, slow, back to the basket bigs to compete in the bigten, and in fact, we would be better off not having that. 
these teams with skinny, athletic bigs and in some cases guys 6’8” defending the post perform just fine against the bigtens monsters

I think the problem is, they let those monsters manhandle you in the B1G, but they aren't allowed to in the ncaa.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I think the problem is, they let those monsters manhandle you in the B1G, but they aren't allowed to in the ncaa.

Which could cause us to finish in the lower half in the regular season, which in turn would have us have to make a run in the Big 10 tournament or win it to make the dance!  Yes, the type of play that goes on relates to a cause and effect!

To me the problem is the style of play which results in not getting more top talent to come to the big ten.
More to this point...after quickly scrolling through the 247 Composite rankings for the 2022, 2021, and 2020 classes, the B10 had 37, 35, and 32 respectively in those classes out of the top......wait for it......300 of each class.