Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Big Ten basketball is a mess

We got beat by a 5 seed....with their "best team" Purdue gets beat by a 15 seed and officially accomplished nothing this season. No Big Ten regular season championship, no Big Ten tournament championship, and no final four appearance...wow

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

We got beat by a 5 seed....with their "best team" Purdue gets beat by a 15 seed and officially accomplished nothing this season. No Big Ten regular season championship, no Big Ten tournament championship, and no final four appearance...wow

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Coming up short in March, a long running tradition for Purdue.

11 hours ago, str8baller said:

I’m confused by this part. Are you saying there are effectively caps on the payout dictated by year? Or are you saying you can’t tie payment to longevity? 

Can't be based on coming to IU or staying at IU.

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Lol OK big tens a mess! Officially can talk about it but also don't care until iu relevant again

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Indiana is the B1G bell weather. There may be occasional outliers, but when the B1G wins a title,  it's usually because Indiana wins a title.

B1G fortunes will change when Indiana gets back to our position.

35 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Can't be based on coming to IU or staying at IU.

How does contract law work in Indiana? Could you create a contract that ties to something about being in the area but not directly stating being a student at IU? Seems like this lacks imagination which doesn't surprise me.

7 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

My takeaway from this tourney and most over the last 20 years is that we don’t need to have giant, slow, back to the basket bigs to compete in the bigten, and in fact, we would be better off not having that. 
these teams with skinny, athletic bigs and in some cases guys 6’8” defending the post perform just fine against the bigtens monsters

Just as the NBA has moved away from the slow or front-court limited big so too is college ball moving away. Long athletic bigs who can get out and guard on the wing or perimeter and bring a jumper. 

28 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

My takeaway from this tourney and most over the last 20 years is that we don’t need to have giant, slow, back to the basket bigs to compete in the bigten, and in fact, we would be better off not having that. 
these teams with skinny, athletic bigs and in some cases guys 6’8” defending the post perform just fine against the bigtens monsters

The issue doesn't lie with other teams facing Big 1.o teams in the tourney. It's when you have to play 20 games where officials allow for assault that you need to match statues with statues.

52 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The issue doesn't lie with other teams facing Big 1.o teams in the tourney. It's when you have to play 20 games where officials allow for assault that you need to match statues with statues.

Excellent point. Building a team for tourney success necessitates actually getting to the tourney. Gotta succeed in the B1G to do that. 

Of course IU has successfully avoided both conference success AND getting to the tourney too often lately. :(

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Quick athletic guys who can also shoot

I wish IU would just concentrate on putting together an NCAA tournament worthy team. Just let the B1G season work it's self out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, jonz44 said:

I wish IU would just concentrate on putting together an NCAA tournament worthy team. Just let the B1G season work it's self out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I think it’s a little more complex than that in my opinion. Woodson’s style of play carries over to the big dance, but the Big Ten through the course of the season does a number on you. Big ten athletes just look flat out beat up when playing fresher opponents. 

purdoodoo lost that game because of their guards. They kept saying something about Edey only being 3/4 for x points or 4/6 for y points. Their guards had a lot of turnovers and didn't shoot well enough from outside. They completely went away from Edey in the second half.

4 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I think it’s a little more complex than that in my opinion. Woodson’s style of play carries over to the big dance, but the Big Ten through the course of the season does a number on you. Big ten athletes just look flat out beat up when playing fresher opponents. 

I think the brutal winters play a partial role as well.