Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Big Ten basketball is a mess

And almost zero chance to win a title once again. I think that the real issue is that people don’t care so much that Minnesota is, on average, better than Wake Forest. They see that in the SEC Florida and UK have won multiple titles the last couple decades. UnC, Duke and Virginia from the ACC have titles. Uconn, Syracuse, and Villanova in the BE. The B1G have none until you get to MSUs over two decades ago.  

No one but us cares that IU won a play-in game. And I only care in a vacuum relative to our recent putrid performance. 

Purdue has a legit shot this season. Will they do it? Probably not, but they are coached and talented enough to have a legitimate shot. But, yeah, the B1G doesn’t recruit well enough to have truly top teams year in and year out. Older talent sometimes works but even then, the B1G doesn’t have top end older talent either. Solid enough coaches, I believe, but this Purdue team had caught my eye early and I’m not surprised they are the March contenders this season.

I think the whole play style debate has a factor as well but smaller than the recruiting inadequacies.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

What's wild to me.... If media.. Big 10 Fans,... Casual Fans... National Media... All know that there are serious problems. Why has no-body at the top of the Big10 addressed them? 

Not sure if its officiating or style of play... but how has this been almost a 30 year problem at this point? 

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

What's wild to me.... If media.. Big 10 Fans,... Casual Fans... National Media... All know that there are serious problems. Why has no-body at the top of the Big10 addressed them? 

Not sure if its officiating or style of play... but how has this been almost a 30 year problem at this point? 

$$$$$$$$$

On 3/21/2022 at 5:49 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

It has always been that way. INDIANA is the big ten, as far as accomplishments.

in 1987 Indiana had 5 titles and the B1G had 2, then Michigan in '89, MSU in what 2000? Making it 5-4 Indiana, then Maryland beat Indiana for the title and once Maryland moved to B1G , that came with it and the rest of the conference became tied with Indiana 5-5.

It's Indiana being down that has caused the B1G to have few titles. It always been that way and no evidence against it yet.

This makes sense.... If conferences like SEC, ACC, B12 all have their best programs at the very top grabbing the best talent, then that permeates throughout the league during league play. If IU was on the same level of Kansas then I could see IU bringing the whole conference up. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As in the Big 1.o has signed the richest TV deals (I believe this is still accurate) so why change?

Hmmm I get that if you're the CEO and it ain't broke don't fix it / don't mess with whats working... But thats a horrible mindset. A series of short term gains for long term losses IMO.... Leadership is so bad in the B10... 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Hmmm I get that if you're the CEO and it ain't broke don't fix it / don't mess with whats working... But thats a horrible mindset. A series of short term gains for long term losses IMO.... Leadership is so bad in the B10... 

I believe there is more to it than just the money issue. I believe the Big 1.o as a whole doesn't want to look like the $EC or ACC. It was nice to be absent in most of the FBI talks because those programs are so bad and they're going to get what is coming to them...

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

I believe there is more to it than just the money issue. I believe the Big 1.o as a whole doesn't want to look like the $EC or ACC. It was nice to be absent in most of the FBI talks because those programs are so bad and they're going to get what is coming to them...

Are they though? I don't understand IU and the B10 in virtue signaling "we play it the right way".. Let it be the wild west. 

I also want to point out that I think B10 schools let coaches stay for way too long... take too long to fire and they usually make poor hires... maybe it's poor hires because no one wants to coach here bc of the style of play.....

For Example: IMO if I'm the Iowa AD, I'm letting Fran go after this year. Here's why... He's never made it out of the first weekend...  

image.thumb.png.a9fb09b0c74da512c9c4739cc618d78e.png

If I'm Iowa/Minnesota/NW/Maryland/Nebraska... I'm hiring Matt Langel as the 44yr old up and comer: 

image.thumb.png.48a42cd7651582145a761e069c85fc69.png

9 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Are they though? I don't understand IU and the B10 in virtue signaling "we play it the right way".. Let it be the wild west. 

How many years has it been that the FBI investigation was going to change college basketball? The change came with NIL. It can be the wild west. The Big 1.o is years behind the other conferences.

44 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

If I'm Iowa/Minnesota/NW/Maryland/Nebraska... I'm hiring Matt Langel as the 44yr old up and comer: 

Are folks now off the Ben McCollum train since he had a down year going 32-5?

15 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Purdue has a legit shot this season. Will they do it? Probably not, but they are coached and talented enough to have a legitimate shot. But, yeah, the B1G doesn’t recruit well enough to have truly top teams year in and year out. Older talent sometimes works but even then, the B1G doesn’t have top end older talent either. Solid enough coaches, I believe, but this Purdue team had caught my eye early and I’m not surprised they are the March contenders this season.

I think the whole play style debate has a factor as well but smaller than the recruiting inadequacies.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

The style of play is why recruiting is down in the big ten

16 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

The change came with NIL. It can be the wild west.

This. IU has never taken any moral objection to playing outside the NCAA rules other than for the sake of breaking rules itself is wrong. Even Knight derided the NCAA as a stupid and inept institution. He seemed somewhat intent on adhering directly to the letter of the law so he could show how great of a coach he was. “These rules are dumb and ill-enforced, but I’ll play your game and beat everyone anyways.” 

So now that we have a legal way to compete with other programs paying players, I’m not sure why we aren’t leading the way. I see written all the time about how great the KSoB is or how credentialed this president or dean is or how much money the AD has raised. Yet when the time comes for real action we seem to get confused and caught flatfooted with regards to this NIL stuff. 

Everyone knew it was coming for years. The programs with real leadership most likely have had a plan ready to go. 

18 minutes ago, str8baller said:

This. IU has never taken any moral objection to playing outside the NCAA rules other than for the sake of breaking rules itself is wrong. Even Knight derided the NCAA as a stupid and inept institution. He seemed somewhat intent on adhering directly to the letter of the law so he could show how great of a coach he was. “These rules are dumb and ill-enforced, but I’ll play your game and beat everyone anyways.” 

So now that we have a legal way to compete with other programs paying players, I’m not sure why we aren’t leading the way. I see written all the time about how great the KSoB is or how credentialed this president or dean is or how much money the AD has raised. Yet when the time comes for real action we seem to get confused and caught flatfooted with regards to this NIL stuff. 

Everyone knew it was coming for years. The programs with real leadership most likely have had a plan ready to go. 

We got out in front of the NIL stuff. Just ask us! We created the first document about NIL or something and told the twitterverse about it. We got the 3C on board and are rolling with it.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:55 PM, str8baller said:

The school can set up NIL directories or support consortiums, but the school can't (legally) lead players to opportunities or facilitate pay. And none of the payers can (legally) only be in place if a player attends IU for a set number of seasons. (like payout is so and so as long as you finish your Junior year) or if you sign an LOI you get this NIL benefit.

12 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

And none of the payers can (legally) only be in place if a player attends IU for a set number of seasons. (like payout is so and so as long as you finish your Junior year) or if you sign an LOI you get this NIL benefit.

I’m confused by this part. Are you saying there are effectively caps on the payout dictated by year? Or are you saying you can’t tie payment to longevity? 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I’m confused by this part. Are you saying there are effectively caps on the payout dictated by year? Or are you saying you can’t tie payment to longevity? 

The NIL deal can't be tied to a player remaining at or going to a specific school. So if they sign a player to a multi-year deal they would have to honor it even if the player quit the team or transferred. Easy to get around, of course, by only agreeing to short term deals with the players currently on the team.