Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Big Ten basketball is a mess

Nine teams in the tournament and the conference will be lucky to have two teams get through to the second weekend. Plenty of competitive teams, but still only one national title in the last 31 years. Another year, the same story.

So what can be done about this? IU has had its own issues the last 20 years, but it is not just an “us” problem. Should we start the BTT a day earlier and end on Saturday? Should the conference officiating change to allow for a more finesse style of play that translates to the NCAAT? We’re getting plenty of talent and usually fielding several contending teams a year, but come tournament time it’s egg after egg. What else is there to it?

10 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Nine teams in the tournament and the conference will be lucky to have two teams get through to the second weekend. Plenty of competitive teams, but still only one national title in the last 31 years. Another year, the same story.

So what can be done about this? IU has had its own issues the last 20 years, but it is not just an “us” problem. Should we start the BTT a day earlier and end on Saturday? Should the conference officiating change to allow for a more finesse style of play that translates to the NCAAT? We’re getting plenty of talent and usually fielding several contending teams a year, but come tournament time it’s egg after egg. What else is there to it?

The conference doesn’t recruit well compared to other top leagues.   All the top end talent go elsewhere.  Other conference recruit against the style of play.   Go back and look and the where the top 50 kids have gone.  The B1G is lucky to get any of them.    No McDonald’s all Americans again this year.   JHS is the top recruit.   Until the officiating and style of play changes this is what everyone will talk about at the end of years.  

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It begins and ends with the conference office figuring out the style of play problem, imo. It kills teams in the tournament and allows other conferences to recruit against us. Combine that subpar talent with the style of play they get used to from January-March and it results in getting punked every year in the tournament. A vicious cycle that could be taken care of by knocking Bo Boroski and his cronies down a rung. 

I don’t care about other B1G teams and hope none of them ever win a national title, but that’s just how I see it. 

Yep, and rewarding talent/skill leads to a better television product, which makes the league more money, too. Selfishly it also benefits the half of the conference that can recruit top talent, which would help IU (though not exclusively IU, of course). A virtuous cycle.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It begins and ends with the conference office figuring out the style of play problem, imo. It kills teams in the tournament and allows other conferences to recruit against us. Combine that subpar talent with the style of play they get used to from January-March and it results in getting punked every year in the tournament. A vicious cycle that could be taken care of by knocking Bo Boroski and his cronies down a rung. 

I don’t care about other B1G teams and hope none of them ever win a national title, but that’s just how I see it. 

Its from the conference. I saw Bo-Bo call a game in the Pac 12 in February (USC/Wash St) and the game wasn't a sumo match inside. Stuff that we wouldn't blink an eye at in the B1G physically was called as normal basketball is called in that game. It starts somewhere at the top.

Just now, Josh said:

Don't Big Ten officials work in the tournament?  I have a hard time believing it's officiating.  I tend to agree with USPS on the talent disparity

They do officiate in other leagues during the year as well but the same official will officiate those games differently as he does in the B1G.  It’s a wild thing to watch during the year 

Just now, Josh said:

Don't Big Ten officials work in the tournament?  I have a hard time believing it's officiating.  I tend to agree with USPS on the talent disparity

Talent disparity could be caused by the style of the basketball. If you're a guy looking to make that leap to the NBA as soon as possible, you'd want to go to the a conference that allows to showcase those skills. The way the conference is called now, there are far more appealing options

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

Its from the conference. I saw Bo-Bo call a game in the Pac 12 in February (USC/Wash St) and the game wasn't a sumo match inside. Stuff that we wouldn't blink an eye at in the B1G physically was called as normal basketball is called in that game. It starts somewhere at the top.

Just bizarre. I can’t wrap my mind around what the conference gains from playing that style. I’ve never seen anyone really defend it either. Woody was outright confused by it earlier in the season in a postgame presser. 

This is fun. I believe we've had the same conversation in previous years but the argument was a handful of Final Fours and a couple of title games by the Michigan unis.

I believe the root cause is the officiating. As USPS mentioned above, the same official will call games differently in/out of the Big 1.o. Hell, the same official just made a completely different call on Davison as he did all season. That's not a coincidence.

Why do Big 1.o teams perform relatively well in noncon? Typically, there isn't a lot of turnover on Big 1.o teams and typically older. That means teams aren't getting a lot better relative to teams in other leagues. Those leagues have more/younger talent that develops over the season. They don't perform as well in the noncon but start putting it together in post season play.

50 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

The conference doesn’t recruit well compared to other top leagues.   All the top end talent go elsewhere.  Other conference recruit against the style of play.   Go back and look and the where the top 50 kids have gone.  The B1G is lucky to get any of them.    No McDonald’s all Americans again this year.   JHS is the top recruit.   Until the officiating and style of play changes this is what everyone will talk about at the end of years.  

I believe Jalen Hood-Shifino is ranked like 20 on 247…..and he’s the top ranked Big Ten recruit. you are correct that it’s not getting the top recruits.