Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Big Ten Coaches Likeability

With the thought of Willard joining the Big Ten, I realize their are a lot of big coaches I dislike.

In order of least to most liked for me.

1. Underwood
2. Izzo
3. Howard
4. McCaffrey
5. Gard
6. Willard??

Then it turns to indifferent to even likeable

7. Painter
8. Hoiberg
9. Collins
10. Pikiell
11. Johnson
12. Holtmann
13. Shrewsberry
14. Woody, why of course.

After doing this exercise, I like more than I dislike. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7-14 on your list I certainly don't dislike....that said, guys like Hoiberg and Collins IMO have done horrible jobs.  Hoiberg from the standpoint that he has actually brought in talent to Nebraska and hasn't produced, Collins from the standpoint that he seems to be the worst coach in the Big Ten in the last five minutes of a game.  Williard I don't know much about.  Your 1-5 are likely in my 1-5 but a different order.  Underwood probably more in the 4-5 area.  Gard and McCaffrey are probably in my 1-2 in some order.  With Gard I've seen enough cheap plays from multiple Wisky players to imagine it's taught;  McCaffrey's  incessant complaining is just intolerable.

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

With the thought of Willard joining the Big Ten, I realize their are a lot of big coaches I dislike.

In order of least to most liked for me.

1. Underwood
2. Izzo
3. Howard
4. McCaffrey
5. Gard
6. Willard??

Then it turns to indifferent to even likeable

7. Painter
8. Hoiberg
9. Collins
10. Pikiell
11. Johnson
12. Holtmann
13. Shrewsberry
14. Woody, why of course.

After doing this exercise, I like more than I dislike. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

So you don’t like the ones that regularly beat our *****? Lol

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So you don’t like the ones that regularly beat our *****? Lol

But no.  We get beat by Pikiell and Painter as much as any.  They don’t bother me. I like them both actually.  We do ok against McCaffrey and Underwood, and they are intolerable.

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But no.  We get beat by Pikiell and Painter as much as any.  They don’t bother me. I like them both actually.  We do ok against McCaffrey and Underwood, and they are intolerable.

I was just busting your chops. I agree with you, and I also like Pikell and Painter. Hell, I like Fran and Howard enough too. 

Izzo and Gard bother me. That’s about it. It’ll be good to add Willard—I’m expecting him to be a guy that’s worth rooting against.

I love the manner of Woody, Painter, Pikell, and Shrewsbury.

I can't stand Gard or Izzo. Hard clearly allows and encourages a dirtbag like Davison to continue being a dirtbag cheap player. Izzo is an untouchable God at RapeU. Can't stand either. Wouldnt hesitate to lock either into a padded room. 

Can't stand Franny either but he also ends up being entertaining at times because the dudes head explodes multiple times a game for literally no reason. 

I'm just whatever on everyone else. 

I’m a big fan of Pikiell. Can never, will never dislike Painter. I’m ready for Shrewsbury to upgrade from Penn State I think. Other than that the rest are either irrelevant, bad people, or coach at Illinois. 

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I can't stand Gard or Izzo. Hard clearly allows and encourages a dirtbag like Davison to continue being a dirtbag cheap player. Izzo is an untouchable God at RapeU. Can't stand either. Wouldnt hesitate to lock either into a padded room. 

Can't stand Franny either but he also ends up being entertaining at times because the dudes head explodes multiple times a game for literally no reason. 

I'm just whatever on everyone else. 

Re: guys like Izzo and Gard

Basically, I'm not a fan of guys whom the media portrays as something that they aren't.  That's not the coaches fault, but they certainly benefit from it.  NCAA titles are certainly hard to win, but he doesn't get the treatment of a guy who hasn't won one in 21 years and is 1-5 in final four games since then.

It's kind of like coach K.  I don't think I'd have the dislike of him if ESPN wasn't treating him like the saint that he isn't.

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Doesn’t get much worse than Howard. He was a part of a cheating scandal as a player and then a part of multiple verbal and physical infractions in his short time as a coach. That’s a lot of slime in his few years in college and few years coaching 

Heard Brad Davison was lobbying for a full episode of The Journey for Howard to explain that he just coaches hard.

I dislike Tom izzo almost as much as any college coach in the country. so he would be the my most disliked coach in the BIG. and its not a close race either. 

Underwood cries way too much about everything so he is #2 and he coaches Illinois so bonus points

I dont like anything about Howard #3

Gard #4 just cause his players are such douches 

5 is mccaffrey by default even though i think he needs to stay in the big ten so Iowa never amounts to anything and for comic relief looking at his face

My current rankings of likeable: Leaving Woodson out due to my obvious bias. (1 is most likeable). 

1. (PSU) Shrewsbury: comes across as a good guy. I loved his making a trip to PSU "feel like a trip to the dentist" comment. He seems like the perfect coach for PSU.
  2. (Minn) Johnson: seems like a good guy. 
  3. (OSU) Holtmann: I like his post game comments. 
  4. (NU) Hoiberg: Seems likeable to me. It may be because in the Big Ten Guide to Basketball in the Conference, next to Nebraska it simply says "Mostly harmless".
  5. (RU) Pikiell: Seems to know what he is doing. I will probably learn to dislike him more as Rutgers becomes more of a regular threat. 
  6. (PU) Painter: If he did not coach for Purdue would be much higher on my list. Seems like a straight shooter. 
  7. (Iowa) McCaffery: post game seems fine - a bit too crazy during games to be higher
  8. (NW) Collins: Seems ok - no strong opinion
  9. (UI) Underwood: honestly, he seems fine to me. I put him this low because so many seem sure he is terrible. Honestly, I liked his post-game after our win.
  10. (UMCP) Willard: Love the guy; JK I do not follow much non-B1G basketball so I only heard of him yesterday.
  11. (MSU) Izzo: I do not think he requires too much explanation, but he is one whiney dude
  12. (UM) Howard: Was higher pre-contact with assistant. Probably should not be coaching college basketball.
  13. (Wisc) Gard: Comes across as a complete jerk to me. With the UM incident, he could have won some sympathy points. But his comments somehow gained Howard some sympathy points. 

Tom Izzo is by far the most unlikeable coach in the Big Ten. And maybe it’s because I have to witness his BS more closely than coaches in other conferences (or maybe because he is just such a complete douchenozzle), but he’s by far my least favorite coach in college basketball. There are others I can’t stomach across the country, but I sincerely despise Tom Izzo. He is the epitome of a whine-a** baby and he consistently claims every loss is a result of someone else’s fault (or his one injured reserve is why his team lost to another team with four starters out). I can’t stand him! He also just comes off as a slime ball (along with the administration and athletics department at MSU in general) for secretly trying to sweep nastiness under the rug.

I would put Painter as one of my favorite coaches in the BigTen because he can flat out coach and has been on fire on the recruiting trail lately. He finds talent, but he also seems to develop talent. He also is seemingly humble and will take blame when it’s appropriately placed on him and he gives credit to other team’s players and coaches when his team gets defeated. He is the polar opposite of Tom Izzo. 

I have no idea where I would put the others. 

Tom Izzo is the most successful coach currently active in the Big Ten (666-267--71.4%). Matt Painter is not too far behind percentage wise (384-192--66.7%). The least favorite coaches tend to be the most successful ones.  Painter is a good coach but he has never won a national championship or been to a Final Four. Izzo's teams have gone to 8 Final Fours with one National Championship.