Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IU vs St Mary’s - Thursday: NCAA Round of 64- 7:20 pm ET on TBS

8 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

2nd half @ Wisconsin, 1st half vs Syracuse, UM.  We'd seen warning signs, clearly wasn't addressed.

Whole psu game (TJD's word) could be added to that list. It'll be nice when we get back to having a standard for this. I was really hoping that the benching against one of the many cupcakes would get the message across. I guess the accountability ended the night before the game, although I have a hunch that the NW fiasco wasn't the first time for that.

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Travel can wear on a person, but I don't know if that was all of it because this team had shown the same things at other times through the year when they should've been rested enough.

Yeah I'm not too much of a fan of the tired excuse. We knew the travel would be hard if we beat Wyoming. They didn't have a hard practice Wednesday, they got rest and were fed well. 

Was it a factor? Sure. But we still got 30 pieced, which is unacceptable. 

30 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Travel can wear on a person, but I don't know if that was all of it because this team had shown the same things at other times through the year when they should've been rested enough.

Well yea. We played bad against a team who was favored to beat us and played well.  Difference is our defense often kept us in close competitive games most of the year, and we didn’t seem to have the energy to muster that level of defense.  Sans the travel stuff maybe we keep it closer, but would’ve still lost. XJ had a great BTT but reverted back to his old form. We got nothing tangible (I do think they tried hard) out of Kopp and Stewart or Phin or Durr down the stretch. 

We played pretty poorly Tuesday (minus TJD), but nobody wanted to talk about because Wyoming had a bad night too, wasn’t as good as us, and we won.  

Recency bias and emotion had everyone overrating how we did on Tuesday and now have everyone mad about last night. We weren’t any less prepared than any of these high seeds that blow games to nobodies. It happens in the tourney. 

Sometimes it’s just as easy as they got beat by a better team on a given night.  Nothing more nothing less.   If People want to go back and bring up games from earlier in the year and say there is a pattern e and e ect.   That’s their choice.  If people want to bring up travel issues as an excuse for a loss to a good St Mary’s team that’s their choice.  Why’s it bother people so much what other poster think happens with this team.   If you think this team and program was  crap during the year why does it matter to you that other people have a different approach and feel differently.    IU got drilled by a solid team last night.  Lack of rest, effort, not talented enough, coaching, execution, nerves from  kind of dancing, travel doesn’t matter the excuse they were beaten handily by a terrific coach with a bunch of old dudes that have been together and have won at a high level.   People don’t need to know who they are for them to be a solid team.  If you are 1 of 3 programs to beat the number overall seed then that’s pretty good company.   

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Well yea. We played bad against a team who was favored to beat us and played well.  Difference is our defense often kept us in close competitive games most of the year, and we didn’t seem to have the energy to muster that level of defense.  Sans the travel stuff maybe we keep it closer, but would’ve still lost. XJ had a great BTT but reverted back to his old form. We got nothing tangible (I do think they tried hard) out of Kopp and Stewart or Phin or Durr down the stretch. 

We played pretty poorly Tuesday (minus TJD), but nobody wanted to talk about because Wyoming had a bad night too, wasn’t as good as us, and we won.  

Recency bias and emotion had everyone overrating how we did on Tuesday and now have everyone mad about last night. We weren’t any less prepared than any of these high seeds that blow games to nobodies. It happens in the tourney. 

I believe that conversation took place after the Wyoming game re: we were a little better than terrible while Wyoming was terrible. It caught up to us when we met a team that knew our weaknesses and could pick them apart. A lot of the disagreement is over what each think is possible from the team and expectations. Some are happy we just made the tourney, others prefer to push for perfection every time we step on the court.

55 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't think anyone has said it was all of it.  It wasn't.  St. Mary's is better than IU and if both teams were fully rested with equal , St. Mary's would win more times than not.  There were mistakes that look like they came from fatigue but there were most definitely mistakes that came from not playing well at all plus lack of talent.  The first five minutes of the second half IMO looked like IU tried to force way too much and were playing desperate and forcing things that weren't there.  The last five minutes of the first half the game was snowballing away from IU and players were not playing their own game.  Doesn't matter what the reason was.

11 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Woodson couldn't craft a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but he did make a credible change purse.  Archie left him with a hodgepodge of mediocre players, none of which could shoot worth a damn.  Beyond TJD, nobody special.

Mike knows and sees our deficiencies, I hope he and the entire staff go balls out to get the skills and type of playets we lack.

Yeah I mean in the post game presser he said we need shooting and wing defense. If you had to distill it to two things that’s probably as good as you can do.

Archie was both unlucky (Garland, Phinisee and Hunter’s injuries) and bad (Eric Hunter, Tony Perkins, and Jaden Ivey didn’t get offers, backed off Blake Wesley, picked Damezi over Aaron Henry) at recruiting those players. CMW and co. hit a HR with X, had a spot for Kopp, and he had his worst season in 4. It happens.

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Yeah I mean in the post game presser he said we need shooting and wing defense. If you had to distill it to two things that’s probably as good as you can do.

Archie was both unlucky (Garland, Phinisee and Hunter’s injuries) and bad (Eric Hunter, Tony Perkins, and Jaden Ivey didn’t get offers, backed off Blake Wesley, picked Damezi over Aaron Henry) at recruiting those players. CMW and co. hit a HR with X, had a spot for Kopp, and he had his worst season in 4. It happens.

I think there is a foundational layer that's missing on top of needing scoring and defense from the wing. I believe the issues on the wing is well known and has been for awhile. My concern is the lack of overall improvement and that's more a program (see: culture) issue than just recruiting. There is a ton that goes into that lack of proper culture and I'm not sure just getting a wing or three that can score and defend will fix it.

In short, we need to become a program that the sum is better than the individual parts. We haven't been that way for a long time and won't be consistently good to great until that happens.

26 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think there is a foundational layer that's missing on top of needing scoring and defense from the wing. I believe the issues on the wing is well known and has been for awhile. My concern is the lack of overall improvement and that's more a program (see: culture) issue than just recruiting. There is a ton that goes into that lack of proper culture and I'm not sure just getting a wing or three that can score and defend will fix it.

In short, we need to become a program that the sum is better than the individual parts. We haven't been that way for a long time and won't be consistently good to great until that happens.

I agree, the culture has to be the sum > parts.  However, CMW isn’t finished shaping the culture, that takes time and we should see an even more cohesive team next year.

55 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

The travel is pretty irrelevant in my opinion. What is relevant is the fact this team played 5 games in 8 days - all of which were tournament level games. 20 years old or not, the human body needs more than 2 days off in that stretch to recover. I thought this was fairly obvious with how quickly the starters got gassed. They looked good the first 7-8 minutes but just had nothing in the tank after that first stretch.

Having said that, others are obviously free to disagree, but I'll never understand the incessant clown behavior some are exhibiting on this thread. That's more embarrassing than the blow-out could ever be. Make your point and move on.

Kinda wonder if the Big10 needs to revise it's tournament, at least to end on Saturday maybe.  They usually have a lot of teams in the NCAA, but few make it beyond the first games/weekend.  Iowa is already gone.  

I actually think St. Mary’s could get to the FF4 and there is a good chance they will. Honestly, I think they were the best or one of the best teams IU has faced this year.  Well coached, disciplined, hard team to prepare for in a short turnaround.  They don’t beat themselves and for any team to beat them, they have to be at their best too.  I can see why they beat the Zags!

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree, the culture has to be the sum > parts.  However, CMW isn’t finished shaping the culture, that takes time and we should see an even more cohesive team next year.

Felt like we let somethings slip early in the season when it could have been addressed. Controlling the turnovers definitely helped later in the season.

56 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I wouldn't say Kopp had his worst year.  PPG was down by a couple points but pretty much everything else was in line with his career average so he was really what he's always been for the most part.

A little worse inside the arc, everything else is around his average.  I think we just over hyped him as a great shooter when he isn’t.

Think @Uspshoosier and @FightFor6 pretty much nailed it above.

Yes we got drilled but St M's is both a strong team and a balanced veteran team, starters all average double digit scoring, their experience playing together was clear, that's a good team.

And yes no matter who you are, if you play 5 games in 8 days it's going to take its toll, Hell there's a reason why NBA teams generally lose the second night of a back to back, and they don't mess around and play 5 games in 8 days. Then people on here talk about effort -- you guys really think our guys weren't trying last night? Really? Of course they were, but they were gassed, they started making desperation plays, and things went south fast.

But hey, we weren't the 2 seed that lost to the 15 seed - lol  - THAT is a failure.

Our season was not. Our season was, under season 1 for Woody, a 20 win climb back to the tourney. That's where we are today. Where we are next season and going forward is up to Woodson, and his recruiting.

And Schifino, Banks, Gunn is a good start - JHS is outstanding, big, strong, physical pg/cg who should bring impact from day 1. We know Woodson/staff will be recruiting for shooting, our clear weakness, and wing depth, and Geronimo is going to be a flat out beast next season. I'm over the bad loss, the season was a success.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Felt like we let somethings slip early in the season when it could have been addressed. Controlling the turnovers definitely helped later in the season.

Yes, I get that; however, CMW, IMO, still has a lot to learn about the college game. I actually think that one of the things he realized is that he needs to be more hands on than he did in the Pros.  Also, I started noticing signs later in the year that he was engaging with his assistants and Thad Matta.  Something he wasn’t doing earlier in the year.

3 hours ago, Trish said:

Johnson was pretty unreliable at the start of the season. Honestly saw a glimpse of it last night, but he was just trying to get us back into the game so I won't fault him. He deserves credit, we don't have a shot at the dance without his play the past month. He improved and I would love to see him back as our starting PG next season. He needs shooters though. 

Yes, XJ gets a pass for last night and has great upside but needs shooters to throw it to other than TJD.  I think he averaged at least 6 assists per game down the stretch and I say most of those were TJD.  He would have averaged at least eight assists per game if we had good shooters on the wings!