Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IU vs St Mary’s - Thursday: NCAA Round of 64- 7:20 pm ET on TBS

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Serious question..

Would you expect an opposing coach to say their opponent wasn't that good?

I think there’s a categorical difference between boilerplate “they had a tough night/didn’t hit shots” stuff and specifically saying they had absurd travel arrangements and were exhausted. 

1 minute ago, iubb said:

No. But I wouldn’t expect the coach of a winning team to literally downplay a curb stompping and say what literally we all think. That IU got screwed and that the game could have ended differently if IU had the same amount of practice time as them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out of the loop. I didn't think it was about practice time I thought it was being fatigued. I guess we shouldn't have scouted St. Mary's before playing Wyoming. If we didn't scout St. Mary's maybe we would have beat Wyoming easier and had some rest. There is always the possibility the NCAA would have figured out a way to screw us in that case too.

6 minutes ago, iubb said:

No. But I wouldn’t expect the coach of a winning team to literally downplay a curb stompping and say what literally we all think. That IU got screwed and that the game could have ended differently if IU had the same amount of practice time as them.

It definitely could have ended differently. We could have lost by 20 instead of 30.

4 minutes ago, iubb said:

If our team said this exact same thing it’s “sore looser talk”.

The fact that the coach of the winning team is saying it should hopefully get people in the NCAA HQ To wake the f up. (It won’t most likely)

Excusing everything is loser talk. We were excusing stuff before games were played. It's one thing to compete and be fatigued. It's another to just throw in the towel. If you think we competed in this game and it was strictly fatigue that's cool but that's nowhere close to how I saw it. We've coasted too often this season to believe we actually wanted to compete. We might have competed more on social media about the NCAA "disrespecting" us than we did on the court tonight.

10 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think there’s a categorical difference between boilerplate “they had a tough night/didn’t hit shots” stuff and specifically saying they had absurd travel arrangements and were exhausted. 

A lot goes into taking a ~30 point beat down by an equal (or close to an equal in talent). You can compete when fatigued and you can do the opposite of competing when fully rested. We've seen both out of this team this season.

Ya. Because what he said at his press conference is that if IU wasn’t screwed by the NCAA, they (IU) may have won.

Which is kind of shitting on his own team in a way by saying they were lucky to beat them today.

I think we should petition the NCAA to shorten games to around 10 minutes or so. We were in it for about that long tonight…. Weren’t we?

Was driving to Dallas tonight. Had to listen to 2 St. Mary’s homers on the March Madness app. Did it look as bad on TV as it sounded on the radio?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Whoozhers said:

I think we should petition the NCAA to shorten games to around 10 minutes or so. We were in it for about that long tonight…. Weren’t we?

Was driving to Dallas tonight. Had to listen to 2 St. Mary’s homers on the March Madness app. Did it look as bad on TV as it sounded on the radio?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I mean you saw the score right?

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

I’m already so sick of this excuse. College kids can play 3 or 4 days in a row with no sign of fatigue during the conference tournaments, nba players can play on back to back nights and yet can somehow handle it.

Yet it’s somehow impossible for 18-22 year old kids to be be able to play a game after only being somewhere for 36 hours. I’m not sayin it was ideal or that it didn’t have some effect on the game. But any effect would be minor. We just played really poorly, and it’s really just that simple.

I’m already so sick of this excuse. College kids can play 3 or 4 days in a row with no sign of fatigue during the conference tournaments, nba players can play on back to back nights and yet can somehow handle it. Yet it’s somehow impossible for 18-22 year old kids to be be able to play a game after only being somewhere for 36 hours. I’m not sayin it was ideal or that it didn’t have some effect on the game. But any effect would be minor. We just played really poorly, and it’s really just that simple.

Come on man. They not only got in at the crack of dawn because some idiot at the NCAA failed math and sent the wrong plane delaying their arrival by 4 hours they also went across multiple time zones.

How many of us take a day or two to get adjusted when we fly to a new time zone? (Let alone going multiple time zones?

Also. This isn’t like the pros where many teams have their own flights/airplanes on standby.

The NCAA screwed multiple teams during this tourney which their incompetence in scheduling flights or even flights that ended up not fitting an entire team.

13 minutes ago, iubb said:

Come on man. They not only got in at the crack of dawn because some idiot at the NCAA failed math and sent the wrong plane delaying their arrival by 4 hours they also went across multiple time zones.

How many of us take a day or two to get adjusted when we fly to a new time zone? (Let alone going multiple time zones?

Also. This isn’t like the pros where many teams have their own flights/airplanes on standby.

The NCAA screwed multiple teams during this tourney which their incompetence in scheduling flights or even flights that ended up not fitting an entire team.

I already said it’s not ideal, but what were the actual consequences? They we’re still able to get a full night’s sleep.

Have you guys never had to work on less than full sleep? I do it all the time, it’s not ideal but I do my job.

And do you guys think these guys are well rested on game day for every game? They’re college kids. Half the team was willing to break curfew to get high before the NW game. You think that was the first time? I almost guarantee it wasn’t, just the first time they got caught.

It’s just an excuse that was going to be used no matter what if we lost. If we would have won no one would have said a damn thing about it.

I already said it’s not ideal, but what were the actual consequences? They we’re still able to get a full night’s sleep.

Have you guys never had to work on less than full sleep? I do it all the time, it’s not ideal but I do my job.

And do you guys think these guys are well rested on game day for every game? They’re college kids. Half the team was willing to break curfew to get high before the NW game. You think that was the first time? I almost guarantee it wasn’t, just the first time they got caught.

It’s just an excuse that was going to be used no matter what if we lost. If we would have won no one would have said a damn thing about it.

Again. You are not getting it.

The coach of the WINNING TEAM is literally saying IU got screwed by the NCAA and that the game would have been much closer (or even an IU win) if they didn’t get screwed by the NCAA.

you don’t ever in any sport see the coach of the winning team make clear what everyone saw (but would be considered an “excuse” if it was said by the team that lost.

10 minutes ago, iubb said:

Again. You are not getting it.

The coach of the WINNING TEAM is literally saying IU got screwed by the NCAA and that the game would have been much closer (or even an IU win) if they didn’t get screwed by the NCAA.

you don’t ever in any sport see the coach of the winning team make clear what everyone saw (but would be considered an “excuse” if it was said by the team that lost.

And what the hell does that matter? Honestly, what does it matter whatsoever if the opposing coach acknowledges our travel schedule? If he hadn’t acknowledged it it would somehow be different? Of course he’s going to say something like that. When you win by 30 it’s obvious it didn’t affect the outcome. You think he would have brought that up if they won by 2?

Again, what were the actual consequences? There’s no reason these kids couldn’t have gotten a full night’s sleep last night.

41 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

nba players can play on back to back nights and yet can somehow handle it.

Funny to hear some people spout off about stuff they don’t quite understand. 

This has been a known issue to affect play in the NBA forever. Gamblers have been favoring it in for years. The NBA has increased the length of the season twice (I believe) to try and address the issue. 

In other words, yes NBA players “can” do it, but almost everyone that follows the sport understands it is detrimental to a team’s play. 

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Funny to hear some people spout off about stuff they don’t quite understand. 

This has been a known issue to affect play in the NBA forever. Gamblers have been favoring it in for years. The NBA has increased the length of the season twice (I believe) to try and address the issue. 

In other words, yes NBA players “can” do it, but almost everyone that follows the sport understands it is detrimental to a team’s play. 

Then show me the stats. I bet any effect is very minor, but please prove otherwise.

And this wasn’t even a back to back as happens in the NBA. They still could have gotten a full night’s sleep in between.

12 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Then show me the stats. I bet any effect is very minor, but please prove otherwise.

And this wasn’t even a back to back as happens in the NBA. They still could have gotten a full night’s sleep in between.

I trust you have Google. But given your last two sentences I see you retreating from your argument already. 

But here’s an article saying the NBA has tried to eliminate it for 5 years in a row. https://www.wivb.com/sports/nba-2019-20-some-tip-offs-earlier-back-to-backs-down-again/

It’s a known issue. The fact that you have to Google it to find out tells me everything I need to know. 

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

I’m already so sick of this excuse. College kids can play 3 or 4 days in a row with no sign of fatigue during the conference tournaments, nba players can play on back to back nights and yet can somehow handle it.

Yet it’s somehow impossible for 18-22 year old kids to be be able to play a game after only being somewhere for 36 hours. I’m not sayin it was ideal or that it didn’t have some effect on the game. But any effect would be minor. We just played really poorly, and it’s really just that simple.

We did play poorly and it is very difficult to play in those circumstances.  Both are possible.  This isn’t an either/or situation.

in terms of the effect of the exact circumstances, you are bringing your own interpretation — much like you brought your own interpretation of Stewart’s minutes in the Wyoming game.  Could we still win in those circumstances?  Absolutely.  Did it have an effect?  Sure.