Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Parker Stewart

5 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I was probably
Known As an archie pumper, however my stance was
Never that archie was the guy. It was alwasy that firing archie gets us nowhere unless
We have a homerun. And then came along someone forming out $10 million to kick him to the curb. TnTs all fine. But I was never and still am not on the Woodson train. You can’t fork over $10million on a toy that’s was nationally labeled a great hired unless you have a homerun. We hired a 60 something year
Old man that’s never touched the college game. I do not Hate woodson but I have a lot of concerns. One being he seems to think he’s the smartest man in the room. I am not doubting his pedigree, but college is not the nba. Our defense is stellar no doubt, that’s all him. But our offense is atrocious. He came
In cloning an open free flowing offense,
Which would work great if you had 1-2 NBA caliber guards on the team that could create
and get whenever they needed. But we don’t. We need a system. Run whatever sets out of that you want, but we need these guys to learn 2-3 continuity offenses that have set plays run out of them based on what the defense gives you. Woody has a long lonnnnnnng way to go. Am I super discouraged No, but I still think that $10,000,000 could have been better spent. I am very hopeful that once he gets a couple classes we truly see his vision. My concern is he thinks he’s the smartest man in the room (with no experience) and is too stubborn to take suggestions and change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bainhlxivewrg3q0gnl

I think you guys are turning a solid night defensively by Parker Stewart into some sort of "superhuman" effort, which it wasn't.

1. He didn't have any steals and several of those turnovers by Maldanado were unforced
  2. Several times players were digging down to help out Parker on Maldanado and those resulted in threes
  3. Maldanado got by Parker several times off the dribble and dished the ball for assists
  4. Fouled a 3 point shooter at the end of the game
  5. Maldanado scored 21 points, many of them against Parker

And he offers nothing offensively besides "spacing." But again, put someone like Bates out there and you're not going to lose much from a spacing perspective while also gaining someone who has ability to put the ball on the floor and get around his defender. Parker is also missing badly on his threes which are leading to run outs on the other end.

We won the game, which is all that matters, however I hope Parker gets a lot less run next game. Our ceiling is highest with him on the bench.

13 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I think you guys are turning a solid night defensively by Parker Stewart into some sort of "superhuman" effort, which it wasn't.

1. He didn't have any steals and several of those turnovers by Maldanado were unforced
  2. Several times players were digging down to help out Parker on Maldanado and those resulted in threes
  3. Maldanado got by Parker several times off the dribble and dished the ball for assists
  4. Fouled a 3 point shooter at the end of the game
  5. Maldanado scored 21 points, many of them against Parker

And he offers nothing offensively besides "spacing." But again, put someone like Bates out there and you're not going to lose much from a spacing perspective while also gaining someone who has ability to put the ball on the floor and get around his defender. Parker is also missing badly on his threes which are leading to run outs on the other end.

We won the game, which is all that matters, however I hope Parker gets a lot less run next game. Our ceiling is highest with him on the bench.

1. Steals? We forced like 100 TOs. "unforced"... I don't understand, we play good defense and position ourselves well. Did the Wyoming coaches not understand how to attack our defense? Are we THAT much better coached? Goodness. 

2. Yes, that's what happens in basketball sometimes.... they shot like 6-19 from three. Which is awful. Them hitting those threes weren't sustainable. 

3. Yeah, good players make some good plays. Defense isn't full proof. It isn't soccer. 

4. Meh, game was over, but yeah that was dumb. 

5. He had to take 16 shots to do so, absolutely awful. This also isn't 2K. Our entire team gives up points, not one solo player. Just how team defense operates and we are VERY good at it. 

---You would have lost so much having Bates out there guarding Maldanado, I can't explain how awful that would have been for our team. Bates would have fouled out in 10 mins guarding him for any sort of amount of time. He played 13, 18, and 22 mins in the three games prior to this one. 

I think we can all agree Bates is a MUCH better player long-term, it's unfortunate he hasn't earned more playing time. Last night wasn't the night to throw him into guard on the biggest mismatches in the country though. 

9 hours ago, HoosierX said:

I don't agree, Bates played excellent defense the minutes he was in as well. And some of Maldanado's poor play was just poor execution vs. great defense by Stewart. Like I said, Stewart did a good job keeping Maldanado in front of him and not fouling, but he still had 21 points.  I don't understand the whole "we don't win this game without him"  because we can also win by scoring points, which Parker doesn't help us do.

21 points on 16 shots, 6 free throws or so, and 10 turnovers......you can absolutely live with that.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. Steals? We forced like 100 TOs. "unforced"... I don't understand, we play good defense and position ourselves well. Did the Wyoming coaches not understand how to attack our defense? Are we THAT much better coached? Goodness. 

2. Yes, that's what happens in basketball sometimes.... they shot like 6-19 from three. Which is awful. Them hitting those threes weren't sustainable. 

3. Yeah, good players make some good plays. Defense isn't full proof. It isn't soccer. 

4. Meh, game was over, but yeah that was dumb. 

5. He had to take 16 shots to do so, absolutely awful. This also isn't 2K. Our entire team gives up points, not one solo player. Just how team defense operates and we are VERY good at it. 

---You would have lost so much having Bates out there guarding Maldanado, I can't explain how awful that would have been for our team. Bates would have fouled out in 10 mins guarding him for any sort of amount of time. He played 13, 18, and 22 mins in the three games prior to this one. 

He shot 8/16 - since when is 50% from the field awful? Look, I already said he had a good night defensively, and I'll even admit that at least 7 of the points that I remember weren't again him (Race went about 5 feet under a screen that gave him a wide open 3, one drive was against Phinisee, and one drive against TJD).

My point on a few of the TOs is that when an offensive player has minimal pressure on him and throws a terrible pass, it's just a terrible offensive play, not a credit to the defender.

And I don't disagree with your point about team defense, but it doesn't make a ton of sense IMO to give credit to his individual defensive performance while also accounting for negative plays as being "on the team."

I think people are being over the top saying we don't win that game without Parker. If that's actually true we are in trouble, because Wyoming just isn't that good. Utah State is in the MW and played a lower seeded Oregon team in the NIT last night and got shellacked.  Wyoming beat them by two each time they played them.

9 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

He shot 8/16 - since when is 50% from the field awful? Look, I already said he had a good night defensively, and I'll even admit that at least 7 of the points that I remember weren't again him (Race went about 5 feet under a screen that gave him a wide open 3, one drive was against Phinisee, and one drive against TJD).

My point on a few of the TOs is that when an offensive player has minimal pressure on him and throws a terrible pass, it's just a terrible offensive play, not a credit to the defender.

And I don't disagree with your point about team defense, but it doesn't make a ton of sense IMO to give credit to his individual defensive performance while also accounting for negative plays as being "on the team."

I think people are being over the top saying we don't win that game without Parker. If that's actually true we are in trouble, because Wyoming just isn't that good. Utah State is in the MW and played a lower seeded Oregon team in the NIT last night and got shellacked.  Wyoming beat them by two each time they played them.

Score comparisons are absolutely irrelevant though and PS defense wasn't the reason we didn't win by more. Our nerves the first 15 mins and TG's foul trouble were the issues... coupled w/a couple other things.

We don't look worse because we only beat Wyoming by 6? or 4? compared to what Oregon beat Utah St by in the NIT. I really don't know what we won the game by last night. 

We don't win the game without Parker Stewart's ability to guard Maldanado. TG doesn't get in foul trouble, Parker isn't playing that many mins... I'm sure as heck glad he stepped up though. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

21 points on 16 shots, 6 free throws or so, and 10 turnovers......you can absolutely live with that.

And 5 assists. He accounted for well over half their offense. He had an off game. Some of that is due to our defense, but definitely not all to PS. Some of those “misses” were close in and tjd blocked or altered them.  

He also played poorly which wasn’t a guarantee.  PS competed hard, but Malsanado got wherever he wanted.  PS is hardly done defensive stopper, last night or ever. 

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

And 5 assists. He accounted for well over half their offense. He had an off game. Some of that is due to our defense, but definitely not all to PS. Some of those “misses” were close in and tjd blocked or altered them.  

He also played poorly which wasn’t a guarantee.  PS competed hard, but Malsanado got wherever he wanted.  PS is hardly done defensive stopper, last night or ever. 

Ok, but the output... the actual output of what we saw... we can ABSOLUTELY live with. The close misses and what not are pretty much irrelevant if he can't be any more efficient than that. 

TJD blocking and altering shots is 100% by design and that is plenty of the reason Parker guarded the kid and not RT. 

I thought Stewart did fine against Moldanado last night, but I'm not sure what people saw that was "great" or "amazing" about his performance. 

IU is obviously better when he's hitting shots, but if not, I would rather see them go big with Geronimo or let Bates get some experience. Both are streaky and can provide a spark. 

But we did go big with Geronimo, who was clearly an absolute key to our W. Bates wasn't up to guarding Maldanado, Stew was.

I don't really understand this argument. No one is arguing Stew is some dynamo defender who will carry us defensively to the title. But he was good on Maldanado, if you're arguing he wasn't you didn't watch the game. Very happy he stepped up when his shots weren't falling and took care of business, that's what it's all about

On 3/16/2022 at 11:40 AM, str8baller said:

He averages more than 5 assists per game….he’s a high volume player.  Not sure where you are getting that Maldonado ‘got wherever he wanted. He likes to get to the hoop.  Most of his turnovers were prior to him getting there.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I thought Stewart did fine against Moldanado last night, but I'm not sure what people saw that was "great" or "amazing" about his performance. 

IU is obviously better when he's hitting shots, but if not, I would rather see them go big with Geronimo or let Bates get some experience. Both are streaky and can provide a spark. 

JG doesn't play the 3. He plays the 4.

5 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Not sure where you are getting that Maldonado ‘got wherever he wanted.

5 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

He likes to get to the hoop.

I mean… 

let’s put it this way, if Parker Stewart’s man gets to the hoop tonight like Tuesday night, but his guy makes his bunnies nobody will be exalting  his defense.  

With that said, I respect his effort. and GO HOOSIERS!