Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

39 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Just my opinion.....if a guy is truly worth someone throwing $300,000 away on bogus t-shirts, he's probably worth more as a pro.

FWIW, the Ohio State player in question (actually former OSU player as he transferred to Texas in December) that signed the mega NIL deal is most certainly worth more than that at the pro-level...but by NFL rules, he can't turn pro yet.  It will be interesting in the future to see how much freshman basketball players will get from NIL deals considering they can't turn pro yet.  IMO, there is a possibility it will lead to the removal of the one-and-done rule.

I mean, 10,000 shirts was just an arbitrary number I threw out. The question stands at 5,000 or 1,000 of them. As far as we know our noteworthy NIL deals right now are limited to dropping The Dorks some money in a Venmo account and then, well, we don’t really know what happens from there do we?

Just wondering about what the big money people can do to improve things. I hope there’s a ton of money getting to these guys that we don’t see, but I’m not convinced. 

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I mean, 10,000 shirts was just an arbitrary number I threw out. The question stands at 5,000 or 1,000 of them. As far as we know our noteworthy NIL deals right now are limited to dropping The Dorks some money in a Venmo account and then, well, we don’t really know what happens from there do we?

Just wondering about what the big money people can do to improve things. I hope there’s a ton of money getting to these guys that we don’t see, but I’m not convinced. 

We'll disagree on the last statement in that I hope there isn't.  My point wasn't about that, though.  My point was that in terms of NIL money, guys that are actually pro level players are going to get paid more by leaving than staying.  If TJD is actually a player worthy of a donor dropping a hundred thousand dollars on just to keep him for another year, then he'd be pretty high in demand at the professional level.

Another thing to think about is if he wants to see his name at the top of all time stat categories. Points, rebounds, blocks….with an “average “ season, he’d be top 3-5 or the leader in these categories.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Sure, but the point is, if the money is there, there is no job too small to justify a lot of it.

Why go to the trouble of buying and distributing tons of tshirts when you can give him a million for signing a few autographs 

My t-shirt example was simply an example that some sort of service or product needs to be produced/provided. It could be t-shirts, maybe a weekly podcast where he is paid xxxx dollars per appearance, autographs, spokesperson for a company, etc etc. 
Just can’t be a go fund me where he basically just gets a bag of money (unless it’s LSU, AZ, KS, ETC LOL).

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

We'll disagree on the last statement in that I hope there isn't.  My point wasn't about that, though.  My point was that in terms of NIL money, guys that are actually pro level players are going to get paid more by leaving than staying.  If TJD is actually a player worthy of a donor dropping a hundred thousand dollars on just to keep him for another year, then he'd be pretty high in demand at the professional level.

My “money we don’t see” comment was just NIL deals we don’t know about, not Will Wade bag-dropping necessarily. We hear about the Quinn Ewers deal and guys from Kentucky getting deals, etc., but all we know about for IU guys is The Dorks’ Venmo and a TJD Pennzoil deal as far as I know. I think a non-NBA guy could very well be worth six figures to an IU booster and not be worth that in a pro setting. A guy like TJD that has flaws that keep him from being a no-doubt pro is  the perfect example of that, imo. I guess the issue is finding someone that has the cash AND thinks he’s worth it. 

2 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I wonder the same thing.
Have read a number of comments in regards to us being a “brand name”, with boosters with companies that have money to allocate, but have no idea if it’s translated into the best players making 5k or 100k+ per year.  Who knows where we stand at this point  but I am sure that some programs will separate themselves with NIL opportunities.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Who decides market value?  If the market is willing to pay X amount for something,  isn't that it's value?

I'd imagine what one is willing to pay for a service. I believe someone was dumb enough to pay ~$500k for Brady's last game ball. Could someone pay $100k for a ball after a game of 1v1 with TJD? I'd think so but we might tattle on ourselves if it wasn't market value.

50 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If TJD is actually a player worthy of a donor dropping a hundred thousand dollars on just to keep him for another year, then he'd be pretty high in demand at the professional level.

What?  I still don't get why you say this.  There are plenty of players that are good in college that won't make it in the pros.  In every sport since the start of time.

But maybe they can make money overseas.  Or maybe they're ready to graduate and move on.  Or maybe they want to transfer to another program for a myriad of reasons.

Or maybe we can offer him a nice NIL deal to sway him to stay.  Or maybe I'm just really confused why you keep saying this