Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

2022 NCAA Tournament / Bracket Reveal

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is why I hate just using metrics to determine the selections.  If you just watch the teams there is no way Iowa St. is better than IU.  They were 7-11 in conference and lost their first conference tournament game.  I get you have to use some metrics but give me people who knows basketball and pick the best teams. We listen to some computer geeks who never played sports in their life.  Rant over.

Chris Reynolds is on the committee although I’m guessing when IU was being discussed he had to leave the room 

22 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Chris Reynolds is on the committee although I’m guessing when IU was being discussed he had to leave the room 

My concern with the selection committee is that despite having an established criteria, it’s selectively applied case-by-case. This is an old saw but to use IU as an example this year: if you look at the S-curve, I can’t really fathom a blend of résumé and predictive metrics that have IU lower than 40th (I’d drop Miami below IU and move Loyola up). And yet somehow the committee finds a way.

9 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

Iowa has quite the storied history of flaming out early, so this is my pick.

They are definitely peaking right now.  But we put up 77 on them and didn't hit shots.  They are going to run into teams that are going run into teams that get stops.

That said, IMO they have a favorable draw.  Richmond more than anything got in because Davidson handed it to them today.  Richmond is not a high ceiling team.  Opposite them, I am expecting that South Dakota State will beat Providence.  South Dakota State really pushes temp (averaged 87 ppg) and I think Providence which is not Providence's strong point.  I think we know that more than anything Providence had a lot of things break their way this year, but that doesn't really predict future success.  And if South Dakota State gets by Providence, they are playing the of ball that Iowa WANTS to play.

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

The only argument I’m hearing, in regard to Michigan getting a bye, is that they get a participation award for playing a tough schedule. Didn’t do **** with that tough non con schedule… just getting rewarded for scheduling. Bunk. **** Michigan! 

Yeah a tough schedule shouldn’t mean anything if a team doesn’t win a lot of those games. Ridiculous. Davidson and San Francisco still confuse the **** out of me as well

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just hope the winner of our game at least gets a night game on Thursday. That team will end late Tuesday and then have to fly all the way to Portland.

Would be a 7:20 tip.  But that’s 4:20 pacific time so not close to 48 hours from a 9:10 eastern tip on Tuesday 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Would be a 7:20 tip.  But that’s pacific time so not close to 48 hours from a 9:10 eastern tip on Tuesday 

Nope that's eastern so its a 4:20 local tip on Thursday. Destiny.

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

My concern with the selection committee is that despite having an established criteria, it’s selectively applied case-by-case. This is an old saw but to use IU as an example this year: if you look at the S-curve, I can’t really fathom a blend of résumé and predictive metrics that have IU lower than 40th (I’d drop Miami below IU and move Loyola up). And yet somehow the committee finds a way.

They were 42 on my S curve. I did have them just a couple of spots above the play ins.  I can even understand Michigan being above IU -- their SOS was unreal.  That said, the resume of Michigan and Oklahoma are almost identical and Oklahoma was at least the second team not in the tournament which means the committee had at least 7 teams between the two.  I don't understand Rutgers at all.....they really have one positive (quad 1 wins) but everything else screams "not a tournament team".  Overall record?  Not a tournament team.  Non-conference SOS?  Not a tournament team.  Bad losses?  Not a tournament team.  Efficiency?  Not a tournament team.  NET?  Not a tournament team.

But here is the thing:  even if the committee put IU ahead of both Rutgers and Michigan, IU is STILL in the play in since they had IU as the next to last team in.  That also says to me that if IU had beaten Purdue in the last regular season game and then lost to Michigan to open the BTT, IU would not have made the tournament despite being 10-10 in conference and 19-12 overall.

Laramie, Wyoming has a population as big as Muncie, Indiana
Drove by it once. Looked much bigger than Muncie but I'll take your word for it

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

The only argument I’m hearing, in regard to Michigan getting a bye, is that they get a participation award for playing a tough schedule. Didn’t do **** with that tough non con schedule… just getting rewarded for scheduling. Bunk. **** Michigan! 

Take a look at Rutgers:  their non-conference schedule was as bad as ours.  And they SUCKED in non-conference anyway.  Think they lost four games including a Q3 and Q4 (at home).  As you said, it's like they didn't even look at the actual results of the non-conference games, just who they were against.  The fact that Dayton was their first team out (LOL) backs that up.