Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

BTT Game Thread: Indiana vs. Iowa 3/12 - 1 pm on CBS

14 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I think it’s more of this. Gotta be able to shoot the 3ball in todays game as well as have quality PG play. X has really stabilized the PG position - still waiting on those shooters. Great game other than those last few minutes

X with better shooters would be lethal. Hopefully he's back next year along with Race and shooters develop.

Wait what? How does a chief of police balance traveling around the country 4 months a year calling basketball games? And how does a ref remain good at officiating having a job that I’m assuming is pretty time-consuming in the basketball offseason?
I’m admittedly kinda ignorant to the whole thing so maybe I’m missing something. 
This might be on of the things employees were complaining about

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And yet we somehow managed to beat Michigan and Illinois while getting nothing from Bates.  Seems like guys on the bench get popular for being different options without necessarily being better options.

And winning the games seems to cloud memories about the idea that those options would have potentially helped us win more comfortably. The Kopp/Stewart combo heavily contributed to us being down 17 to Michigan before those other options came in and changed the game. It’s great we won those two games, I’m thrilled and proud. But that doesn’t mean I can’t state the obvious and wish we didn’t HAVE to come back from down 17, or beat Illinois going away by 10-15 points, and close out Iowa by guarding the three point line and playing with a higher basketball IQ. Those “options” that seem better on the bench, are statistically and by the eye test, better on the floor than our starting five. I’m not sure it’s even debatable at this point. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Hot take:  our best three point shooter is Xavier Johnson.

Possibly so.

My question is this: Has his 3 ball improved through the season?  I remember very early commenting that he should never shoot from beyond the arc withat ugly shot.  Maybe the staff are correcting it, and if so he could be even better next year?

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

So, we’ve gotten the “buy-in” of Woody’s style and coaching by the team later in the season. I cannot wait to see how this translates next season, when all of the returning team is already on board and familiar.

Yes, this.

Important context...this is a first year head coach and staff implementing a new system with new players. It's been terribly frustrating at times, but overall, not bad for a first year effort, IMO.

2 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

X with better shooters would be lethal. Hopefully he's back next year along with Race and shooters develop.

Yeah, he has his moments sure, but X is fun to watch. He doesn't back down and seems to have accepted the coaching. Haven't noticed him reacting to opponents at all compared to early this season. I for sure thought he was going to get tossed in a conference game this year when an opponent went at him

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

I probably have as much, or more, confidence in him or Race right now as I do Kopp or Stewart. They are just struggling. 

I think it may be more regression to the mean for their shooting, neither one was ever particularly good; Stewart's best before this year was 38% and he's still just a career 37% shooter.

I for one am proud of the team, players, coaching staff, etc…. This team competed and just about beat 3 good teams in a row.  This team finally showed toughness, heart, and great effort.  Those people who keep bashing the team and coaching staff, didn’t watch the same 3 hard fought games I did.  Please shut the heck up!  CMW has us heading in the right direction!

Told my buddy I’m with at the under 8 TO that bohanon has been too quiet and he’s due for 3 late killer 3s. That last one…guess you just have to tip your cap. 

don’t care what anyone says though. We proved something this weekend and there isn’t a 5 or 6 seed in the world that wants to see us next weekend.

1 minute ago, Banksyrules said:

You coach the game in front of you. Durr played in those games as well but Woodson was right not playing him this game.  

I understand you coach the game in front of you....and I understand that Bates offers more athleticism, but I have not seen that translate on either end to this point.  Statistically, though, the two worst +/- numbers for our team this year -- and it's not really even close -- are Bates and Parker Stewart.  Maybe you give him some of Stewart's minutes, but just MO that I wouldn't expect different results.

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Told my buddy I’m with at the under 8 TO that bohanon has been too quiet and he’s due for 3 late killer 3s. That last one…guess you just have to tip your cap. 

don’t care what anyone says though. We proved something this weekend and there isn’t a 5 or 6 seed in the world that wants to see us next weekend.

In the past 7 days we took PU down to wire.  Beat IL.  And lost to one of the hottest teams in the country.  Yes, if we continue playing this way no one wants to play us in the tourney.

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Possibly so.

My question is this: Has his 3 ball improved through the season?  I remember very early commenting that he should never shoot from beyond the arc withat ugly shot.  Maybe the staff are correcting it, and if so he could be even better next year?

It's still a pretty ugly shot.  The stroke isn't good but because he's usually open when he shoots it, he takes his time and lines it up.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we have 3 starters that never played for IU, and haven't experienced what IU ball is all about. (Kopp kind of did, but not in any ownership fashion).

Competitive in all but a couple of games all year. Defense improved greatly thruout the year. Offense was (and is) slow to come, especially without TJD.

I think the future is bright, and I'm really proud of these guys. I think we'll make some noise in the Big Dance.

3 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Those “options” that seem better on the bench, are statistically and by the eye test, better on the floor than our starting five. I’m not sure it’s even debatable at this point. 

I would say it’s at least debatable seeing how the guy who sees them every day in practice disagrees. I’ve defended Bates and I like the potential in Galloway and Geronimo. But minus Galloway, those other guys still have regular lapses on D. Our calling card is team defense. It’s tough to be good at team D playing young guys a lot of minutes.  

if Bates is a competitor and works his butt off this summer, he could see a lot of minutes next year. 

Just now, pumpfake said:

We took PU down to wire.  Beat IL.  And lost to one of the hottest teams in the country.  Yes, if we continue playing this way no one wants to play us in the tourney.

Most definitely…I actually feel like we found something…not sure what but something…in that Purdue game. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I understand you coach the game in front of you....and I understand that Bates offers more athleticism, but I have not seen that translate on either end to this point.  Statistically, though, the two worst +/- numbers for our team this year -- and it's not really even close -- are Bates and Parker Stewart.  Maybe you give him some of Stewart's minutes, but just MO that I wouldn't expect different results.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree at this point. We dancing though.