Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

BTT Game Thread: Indiana vs. Iowa 3/12 - 1 pm on CBS

We had years of “sleep walking” effort under Archie but these guys busted their butts these 3 tourney games, @PU etc.
I’ll take that in year 1.

Some won't. We competed in almost every game. Last few years we didn't compete in most of the games we lost. We played really good defense this year.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Larry Sciritto appeared to be the ref 'handling' the situation with Fran McCaffrey.

In case you didn't know, this is Sciritto -- police chief who was fired by Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022/03/03/fort-lauderdale-fires-chief-larry-scirotto/

Wait what? How does a chief of police balance traveling around the country 4 months a year calling basketball games? And how does a ref remain good at officiating having a job that I’m assuming is pretty time-consuming in the basketball offseason?

I’m admittedly kinda ignorant to the whole thing so maybe I’m missing something. 

2 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I don’t know what your problem is, just because it wasn’t what you wanted to hear doesn’t make it less valid. Trey, Bates, Rob  needed more minutes . Very proud of this team but if you’re not going to talk about basketball on a basketball board……then what are we doing here?

Apparently what we're doing here is throwing a tantrum bashing our players and coaches after 3 hard fought games and then completely overreacting to a little of the constructive criticism you so thoughtfully recommended for others.

5 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I get what you’re saying, but those 29 shots are over 12+ games. He averages about 2 FG attempts per game. If he had been getting minutes he arguably would have developed more confidence and shot selection. Instead we watched MK and PS underperform as “shooters” all season. Tamar deserved some run in the 2nd half today. That shot he hit was a confidence booster and he has a higher ceiling than MK who finished 2-11 from the field. Woody has done some things very well, but riding the hot hands and recognizing momentum in lieu of playing the comfortable, senior lineup hasn’t been one of them. 

And yet we somehow managed to beat Michigan and Illinois while getting nothing from Bates.  Seems like guys on the bench get popular for being different options without necessarily being better options.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not whining (well, maybe a little bit), but asking somewhat of a serious question here ... 

Franimal was almost to our bench during that one timeout. Why wasn't that a tech? 

It should have been.  It seemed every borderline call went against IU, and that and 1 that got overturned was a horrible call and called an offensive foul on TJD was awful.  The refs seem to dictate way too much and it seemed in Iowa’s favor, IMO 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not whining (well, maybe a little bit), but asking somewhat of a serious question here ... 

Franimal was almost to our bench during that one timeout. Why wasn't that a tech? 

Maybe Kevin Warren will tell us...:farting_smiley:

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Wait what? How does a chief of police balance traveling around the country 4 months a year calling basketball games? And how does a ref remain good at officiating having a job that I’m assuming is pretty time-consuming in the basketball offseason?

I’m admittedly kinda ignorant to the whole thing so maybe I’m missing something. 

I hadn't seen it mentioned around here but thought people know about it.  He's reffed quite a few of our games (not well....not saying biased, he's just not good). 

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

We simply are not a good 3-point shooting team, nor do we have a single player who is.  It's what seperates us from title contenders.

Nevertheless, This team wouldn't be playing today if TC or AM were our coach.  

You're right, we don't have a single player that's really a good shooter.  We brought in Kopp and Stewart but both are 36-37% for their career; decent but not that good.  We need better than them, especially since that's really all they can do.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What did he do that 'earned' that?

And he's been more athletic than them all year.  It hasn't translated.

He played solid D and took/made a shot when he was left wide open.  Not trying to bag on some of the other guys some of them were scared to shoot which allowed Iowa to pack the lane.  Another should have been afraid to shoot, but alas...  Maybe you put him in and he looks lost like he has at times and you take him back out.  You didn't lose anything and gave a guy a couple minute break.  But just maybe this was "on" day and he gives us a boost.

6 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

Now we wait on the Dayton bubble.

Iu gets a 9 seed, 10th at worse...No Dayton Dayton for the Hoosiers this year.   Tough beat today, this Conference tourney did this team a ton of good.  They basically played in high gear for three games in a row.....OK 2.5 games in a row, first half Michgian was no bueno .  I wouldn't want to be seeded against us next week. we are going to be a 9-10 seed coming in playing like a 2-4 seed

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And yet we somehow managed to beat Michigan and Illinois while getting nothing from Bates.  Seems like guys on the bench get popular for being different options without necessarily being better options.

You coach the game in front of you. Durr played in those games as well but Woodson was right not playing him this game.  

1 minute ago, BannerVille said:

He played solid D and took/made a shot when he was left wide open.  Not trying to bag on some of the other guys some of them were scared to shoot which allowed Iowa to pack the lane.  Another should have been afraid to shoot, but alas...  Maybe you put him in and he looks lost like he has at times and you take him back out.  You didn't lose anything and gave a guy a couple minute break.  But just maybe this was "on" day and he gives us a boost.

The one guy I saw that looked scared to shoot was Stewart......but he barely played the second half.

20 minutes ago, Demo said:

You might want to watch it before you call it a lack of effort.

Defense is about effort, and they gave up 48 in a half. Unless Steph Curry and Klay Thompson regained some eligibility and threw on Iowa jerseys, I don’t really wanna hear about their offense or how hot they were. If the defense was there, they wouldn’t have gotten those shots off to begin with. We can just agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Hot take:  our best three point shooter is Xavier Johnson.

I probably have as much, or more, confidence in him or Race right now as I do Kopp or Stewart. They are just struggling. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Hot take:  our best three point shooter is Xavier Johnson.

Ugliest shot on the team, but he's effective with it. Have to be impressed with his progression this season