Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8bucks

Possible move to Florida

On 3/9/2022 at 1:38 PM, Stuhoo said:

Also... Say goodbye to pork tenderloin sandwiches, college basketball fans, falling leaves, hikes with an elevation of more than about 50 feet, slushy shoes, and single family homes that cost less than $300k. Spring training games are awesome and seafood will no longer be farmed in a man-made pond or frozen off the truck!

I've only seen a gator a few times in South Florida -- always in or next to a canal. They will not be roaming your suburban neighborhood!

PS: Josh is a West coast (of Florida) guy so he will know towns the best -- love your former home of St. Pete -- the old and waterfront  neighborhoods there are beautiful.

Au contraire, there is an excellent little German restaurant in Tampa that makes outstanding schnitzel. If you miss the sandwich part you could always put it on some bread but the schnitzel should cure any cravings for fried tenderloin. 

On 3/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, Stuhoo said:

I love Florida—if you do it right.

I’m more of a ‘hiking outside, basketball in a gym on a winter night’ and big city center guy, so Bloomington, Chicago, Boston are my personal favorites, but Florida is fantastic in its own way.

Downtown St Pete is cool and probably my favorite city center in Florida. It’s right on Tampa  Bay, a bunch of bay front parks, many festivals, ton of different restaurants on Beach Drive and down Central Avenue, it’s the  beginning of the 50 mile Pinellas bike trial, a number of museums, many (MANY) bars within walking distance of each other, breweries, you can walk to the ugliest MLB stadium in the country (LOL),   fun places (bars/breweries) with live music etc etc.

I agree about Central Ave. in St. Pete.  While I am a beach bum and a walk in a park kind of guy, Central Ave. has a great choice of tapas, cafes, counter cultural digs, murals, street people, and entertainment.  After getting cooked at the beach there is not a lot better than a bunch of tapas, some wine or beer, and friends.

Would consider a couple of months within easy bike ride or walk to a beach or on a channel with a boat.

14 hours ago, 8bucks said:

My fear for sure. I do a lot of bike riding (bicycle)and wrecked a couple times this year. I can just see me wrecking into a gator nest.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

If you do, shove your finger in his eye.  Try to smash the hell out of it.  That's what stops them.

But don't fear.  In 18 years I know one guy who was attacked.  He was swimming where he should have known better.  They mostly leave you alone

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

If you do, shove your finger in his eye.  Try to smash the hell out of it.  That's what stops them.

But don't fear.  In 18 years I know one guy who was attacked.  He was swimming where he should have known better.  They mostly leave you alone

True!

In Florida, you are far likelier to die from the bite of very specific poisonous lizard. Its markings are distinctiv ...

eh, nevermind ... you'll figure it out.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

True!

In Florida, you are far likelier to die from the bite of very specific poisonous lizard. Its markings are distinctiv ...

eh, nevermind ... you'll figure it out.

Oh yeah!  Run far away from those brown anoles

16 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Florida Man seems like something that should be avoided as much as the snakes.

Now that's just mean.  I prefer to avoid temperatures below 70°

19 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

How do you watch IU games down here?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I have Directv.  Between Big Ten Network,  ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports, etc...I haven't missed a game in 10+ years

13 hours ago, Josh said:

I have Directv.  Between Big Ten Network,  ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports, etc...I haven't missed a game in 10+ years

Spectrum Cable on the west Coast of FL also has a BT network option making every game available.

I have a friend, however, that lives on the East Coast (around Delray Beach), has Comcast and is willing but unable to pay for the BT network as they don’t even offer it down there even as an upgrade. That would be hard for me to take.

14 hours ago, Josh said:

I have Comcast-same-never miss a game. I pay $5/extra for expanded sports with BTN

On 3/8/2022 at 11:18 PM, 8bucks said:

Looking potentially at homes in the suburbs to the north of the city. Land o Lakes, Lutz, WesleyChapel. Prefer growing towns and those seem to fit that. Any thoughts on those areas or other areas to check out?

Will the alligator in the pond eat my dog.

This is from right next door to Land O Lakes and Lutz.  Look through your video doorbell before you go outside.  Especially if you're moving to that lakefront lot

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-alligator-front-door

This is from right next door to Land O Lakes and Lutz.  Look through your video doorbell before you go outside.  Especially if you're moving to that lakefront lot
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-alligator-front-door

Oh now you were laughing at me while you posted that weren’t you? Good thing I know the trick. Stuhoo said all I had to do was poke it in the eye and it would leave. So if he shows up on my porch I will calmly reach down and give it the ol eye poke and be on my way.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app