Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Purdue - 03/05/22 @ 2:00 on ESPN

On 3/5/2022 at 6:23 PM, Golfman25 said:

Ok, but you have to include several bricks shot by others in the conversation.  I mean, they shoot like me out there.  

Didn't say he was the only one.

Who on Indiana's roster has ever won anything?   Stewart sure hasn't and he's terrible in the clutch.  Johnson is really good, but doesn't know how to win and is mistake prone at the end of close games.  That's just truth.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, kreigh8 said:

Who exactly on this roster are winners? X carried us for large portions of today’s game

My point.  We don't have many.   Read "The Power of Negative Thinking."   You'll understand what I'm saying immediately,

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

My point.  We don't have many.   Read "The Power of Negative Thinking."   You'll understand what I'm saying immediately,

I guess my point was I don't get what seemingly was singling out X for the loss or losses this year. He's been one of the few bright spots at a critical position of need after what has been our lackluster PG play the past few seasons. He's definitely been one you could point to as improving as the season went on, not sure you can say that about a majority of his teammates. I thought he'd get ejected in a game this season by his reactions to fouls or chatter in game, I thought he was far more composed lately. Is he perfect, no, but we're a different team when he's playing well.

13 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I just feel like IU playing in the NIT is like ND football playing in some garbage 6-6 bowl game.  It does nothing but highlight the disaster of a season you just had.  Better to pretend it never happened and move on.

Nah. You play. No reason to act like your too good for it. Play it and win the damn thing. 

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

But it’s not ‘85 and we’re not coached by Knight. Our best player isn’t a soph who can use experience. In fact, not a single full-time starter this season will be here in 2 years.  

With the transfer market and 1-and-dones you don’t team build anything like Knight did in ‘85. 

The comparison falls pretty flat for me and is the type of “this is what we’ve always done” rationale that generally leaves IU a step behind other programs for over two decades now. 

What improvement do you think will take place during NIT week, if we sit it out?

13 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

What improvement do you think will take place during NIT week, if we sit it out?

As I wrote earlier, I would hope the staff would take the time to address the roster, mainly by focusing on the transfer market. Given Woody’s newness to college basketball, it would seem that time spent there could be just as advantageous as extra practice and playing time for a bunch of upperclassman that likely won’t be here in two years or even next year. 

16 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

I guess my point was I don't get what seemingly was singling out X for the loss or losses this year. He's been one of the few bright spots at a critical position of need after what has been our lackluster PG play the past few seasons. He's definitely been one you could point to as improving as the season went on, not sure you can say that about a majority of his teammates. I thought he'd get ejected in a game this season by his reactions to fouls or chatter in game, I thought he was far more composed lately. Is he perfect, no, but we're a different team when he's playing well.

He makes losing plays at the end of games.   IU beat good teams when others played well.  Phinisee against Purdue.  (X had a nice game)  TJD against Ohio State (X had 2 points).  TJD against Notre Dame (X was 3-11 from the floor w 4 turnovers)   TJD and Race against St. John's (X had 8 points, but 3 turnovers, 4 fouls, and only played 19 minutes

He's good enough to keep a team in a game, but still averages almost 3 TO's every game and shoots !~ 33% on the road. Both good and bad can be and ARE true.  He has not been the primary reason Indiana has beaten a single good team all season, but he HAS been a primary reason they've lost a few games..

5 hours ago, Old Friend said:

He makes losing plays at the end of games.   IU beat good teams when others played well.  Phinisee against Purdue.  (X had a nice game)  TJD against Ohio State (X had 2 points).  TJD against Notre Dame (X was 3-11 from the floor w 4 turnovers)   TJD and Race against St. John's (X had 8 points, but 3 turnovers, 4 fouls, and only played 19 minutes

He's good enough to keep a team in a game, but still averages almost 3 TO's every game and shoots !~ 33% on the road. Both good and bad can be and ARE true.  He has not been the primary reason Indiana has beaten a single good team all season, but he HAS been a primary reason they've lost a few games..

I say there is some truth to what you are saying.  That play at the end of the Purdue was a prime example.  He has done something like that probably at least 10 times and none of them have been called. He has played really well the last 10 games or so and he has really improved throughout the season; however, he has not made winning plays down the stretch of a tight game. He makes poor decisions quite often or he tries to be the hero when he should be setting up his teammates to make winning plays.  One think he has done was quit making boneheaded plays throughout an entire game and has kept his composure for the most part

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

As I wrote earlier, I would hope the staff would take the time to address the roster, mainly by focusing on the transfer market. Given Woody’s newness to college basketball, it would seem that time spent there could be just as advantageous as extra practice and playing time for a bunch of upperclassman that likely won’t be here in two years or even next year. 

May not help all the players, but some will surely benefit. I'm not sure there are going to be many portal players to consider until after the NIT or thereabouts so there's probably not a lot the coaches can prepare for that.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

There's lot's of  reasons we lost to Purdue. However, he is the primary reason we had a chance to win.

He thought he drew contact and threw up a crazy shot, the other option was TJD from 22 feet...

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

There's lot's of  reasons we lost to Purdue. However, he is the primary reason we had a chance to win.

He thought he drew contact and threw up a crazy shot, the other option was TJD from 22 feet...

X played very well against PU but he has to be smarter and more composed down the stretch. He kept us in it but made a poor decision at the end. He wanted the ref to bail him out vs actually making something happen

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

X played very well against PU but he has to be smarter and more composed down the stretch. He kept us in it but made a poor decision at the end. He wanted the ref to bail him out vs actually making something happen

9 times out of 10, the refs will never call that, recognizing that is playing smarter.  Refs most likely will never bail him out on the road in that situation 

13 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I agree, he was one of the main reasons we had a chance but that last play is something he has tried in previous games and hasn’t gotten one call.  Like I mentioned the refs won’t bail him out in that situation 9 times out of 10 on the road.  It was just plain stupid

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree, he was one of the main reasons we had a chance but that last play is something he has tried in previous games and hasn’t gotten one call.  Like I mentioned the refs won’t bail him out in that situation 9 times out of 10 on the road.  It was just plain stupid

It was a bad decision. 

6 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

It was a bad decision. 

It cost us a chance to have a shot at the basket a heck of a lot closer than where he threw it up from.  There was almost 2 seconds on the clock and once Ivey tried what he did, he could have dribbled the other direction and it probably would have freed him up for an open 3 pointer pretty close to the 3 point line.  But we’ll never know because he done that stupid play like he did many other times this year.  He has greatly improved throughout the season but still greatly needs to improve his decision making.