Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Thought maybe this might need its own thread. If mods want to put this another thread, no problem.

We have struggled shooting the 3 pointer through Archie's tenure and now CW's tenure. We have brought in shooters that had success at other schools. Fitzner, Kopp and Stewart to name 3. Yet they struggle when playing for us. What are your thoughts on why this is happening? I, myself, wonder if perhaps it stems from our strength and conditioning regiment.

Just trying to figure it out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

As far as the two new guys we brought in. For whatever reason (probably because he would light us up at NW) I think we over hyped Kopp as some kind of 3pt assassin. But when you look at his stats year over year he shot the ball exactly what his career average has shown him to be. Low to mid 30s.

Parker actually has his best year as far as %, the problem with him is he doesn’t shoot well off the dribble or creating his own shot. He has to be set. And we didn’t utilize that very well imo. Kopp and Stewart don’t need to be out there at the same time. We did run a few sets for Stewart but it was the same play almost every time, but seems like we had some success with it. Volume was his problem, outside of not being able to shoot off the dribble.

Hopefully this starts to change as Woodson recruits come in, but we have been starved for consistent shooters in what feels like an eternity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kopp:  35.8% career three point shooter; 34.9% at IU.

Stewart:  37.7% career three point shooter;  41.1% at IU.

Fitzner:  39.8 career three point shooter;  30.9% at IU.

---------------------------------------

Fitzner's three point shooting was the only true drop -- and we only had a sample space of less than 60 threes at IU.  The problem is two fold:

1.  They aren't great shooters -- they are decent.

2.  They don't create shots and don't have guys around them they can drive and kick out.

The last successful shooting transfer we brought in was Nick Zeisloft -- but he was surrounded with other really good shooters plus guys who could create for themselves and others;  Yogi Ferrell, Blackmon, Troy Williams, Robert Johnson.  It's a heck of lot tougher to guard multiple good shooters.  The teams that Zeisloft were on were 8th and 11th in the country in three point field goals made.

One of my favorite moments from 2011-12 (the year before we were No. 1 most of the season) ... 

We were playing PU in our home finale. Matt Roth already had come off the bench and made two bombs, and so Painter seemingly implored his defense to stick to him. 

Cody got the ball in the high post, and immediately drew a double or triple team. Roth then sneaked to the other side of the court -- right in front of the PU bench. Zeller found him wide open. Before Roth -- who didn't have anyone within 5 feet of him -- even caught the ball, Painter threw up his arms in disgust.

As Roth shot from about 23 feet, Gus Johnson screamed, "LAYUP!" Nothing but net! 

Oh, those were the days ... too bad they didn't last. Man, what a shooter like that can do for your team ... 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

One of my favorite moments from 2011-12 (the year before we were No. 1 most of the season) ... 

We were playing PU in our home finale. Matt Roth already had come off the bench and made two bombs, and so Painter seemingly implored his defense to stick to him. 

Cody got the ball in the high post, and immediately drew a double or triple team. Roth then sneaked to the other side of the court -- right in front of the PU bench. Zeller found him wide open. Before Roth -- who didn't have anyone within 5 feet of him -- even caught the ball, Painter threw up his arms in disgust.

As Roth shot from about 23 feet, Gus Johnson screamed, "LAYUP!" Nothing but net! 

Oh, those were the days ... too bad they didn't last. Man, what a shooter like that can do for your team ... 

The call now might be closer to "heads up!"