Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

Goodman on the Hoosier Hysterics Podcast

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

You don't actually think they'd admit it do you?  My goodness even Kentucky would claim they're clean.

But there’s plenty of evidence UK cheated. And nobody outside of UK believes they’re clean.  

That’s not true of Knight. Unless you know something nobody else does.

42 minutes ago, str8baller said:

But there’s plenty of evidence UK cheated. And nobody outside of UK believes they’re clean.  

That’s not true of Knight. Unless you know something nobody else does.

There are stories of people getting jobs as part of a recruit committing, cannot prove that. What is a fact is that his players were given cash, gift cards, free stuff all the time. Talk to a few of his players and they will tell you that friends of the program made sure they were taken care of. Not talking about suitcases of money, but that they never had a hard time getting their gas or pizza paid for

“Start cheating”? I think we’ve established even the sacred halls of Assembly have endured cheating for years. I think it’s better stated, Be creative, Start winning. If we aren’t just blowing smoke about our intentions of a program (Glass’ old quote about winning championships) we need to get the players our staff wants and hope they are good at 1. Identifying them 2. Progressing them and 3. Getting them to play together with the ultimate goal of winning basketball games.

It’s not easy. But I know firsthand, you’ve got to have the talent first. This years team had enough talent to be better. We should be a tournament team. IMO staff under performed this years teams capabilities. But we need a huge talent upgrade to be national title contenders. But the beautiful thing about college basketball is you only need 1-2 or 3 stars and then a team. Gotta get a few unicorns over time.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

No denying that there has been cheating at IU, but good lord we suck at it. What’s the point in cheating if you can’t even cheat good. I’m not trying to openly offer brand new houses and blank checks to players, but let’s get with it. I have no problem pushing the gray area to the max. As long as you don’t self sabotage it’s been proven by the likes of Kansas, Duke, UK that nothing will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm the one bitching and moaning because we use this "holier than thou" attitude to cope with all the losing while it's not exactly accurate. My fandom is fine with players getting money, especially now that it's legal.

There were rules that were supposed to be followed under Arch, Crean, Sampson, Davis, and Knight too. They ranged from downright ignoring them to skirting the rules. We need to get better at getting players money in the landscape where it is legal. We could keep dreaming about and watching old YouTube videos of four and five decades ago and how "clean" our program was.

As I have said before, teams that have always cheated (Duke, UK, Kansas, LSU etc)  have donors with apportioned money to funnel, who can now do it more openly.

Teams that haven't been doing that didn't have donors with money "budgeted" for recruits when NIL suddenly changed everything. And if you are a donor or company that hasn't been "cheating" you're going to want to be more cautious and remain within the NIL rules. That likely includes Indiana donors. Hopefully those donors start apportioning money as the "concept of NIL" becomes more standard.

23 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

We are not an NCAA tourney team. You are of course free to think what you want but incompetence has run rampant throughout IU athletics for quite some time. Our failures this season is not isolated. The university has sabotaged our basketball program for decades and there are hundreds of examples of this. 
we didn’t just suck this season, there was a lot that lead up to it and until things are changed, we will continue to suck. The administration has to want it and until they do, it doesn’t matter.

While I am sick of the Duke and coach K love tonight, the video of him telling his players “am I mad about what happened, your damn right I am, but it doesn’t matter until you are mad too.”

that goes for the administration- they don’t care that we suck, the music plays on, they sell popcorn, tickets, candy stripe pants and think that will continue for eternity or at least through their tenure so they are complacent and think everything is fine

No one knows that until Thursday evening, or Friday evening and if it leads into Saturday then they are likely in.

7 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

No one knows that until Thursday evening, or Friday evening and if it leads into Saturday then they are likely in.

Actually no one will no for sure until Sunday evening on the selection show.

8 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

As I have said before, teams that have always cheated (Duke, UK, Kansas, LSU etc)  have donors with apportioned money to funnel, who can now do it more openly.

Teams that haven't been doing that didn't have donors with money "budgeted" for recruits when NIL suddenly changed everything. And if you are a donor or company that hasn't been "cheating" you're going to want to be more cautious and remain within the NIL rules. That likely includes Indiana donors. Hopefully those donors start apportioning money as the "concept of NIL" becomes more standard.

As I've said before, we're fantastic at excusing everything this program does. "We didn't cheat enough before so we're behind in following new rules even though we made an announcement that we would get out in front of NIL but now that it hasn't changed much we'll virtue signal about how we didn't cheat before."

Thank you continuously proving my point for me.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

As I've said before, we're fantastic at excusing everything this program does. "We didn't cheat enough before so we're behind in following new rules even though we made an announcement that we would get out in front of NIL but now that it hasn't changed much we'll virtue signal about how we didn't cheat before."

Thank you continuously proving my point for me.

NIL hasn't changed for hardly anyone. Look at the small handful of players with big NIL. They play for schools we all know are slimy.

IU starting an NIL directory etc doesn't make pockets full of hidden money suddenly appear. Kentucky's Porsche dealer likely has donated under the table money previously.

Nothing has proven your point.

22 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Back off track real quick - as if there’s a track to this thread to begin with - the guy that runs it now, Ed (can’t remember his last name), is a huuuuge IU Athletics supporter and a really good guy also. And makes some pretty great wings!

Ed Swartzman and his wife own it. Great people. His brother helps run the place also. They also just opened up Gabe's bagels which is New York-style bagels which is where Ed is from. Now let's get back to cheating or posting a cute gif

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Ed Swartzman and his wife own it. Great people. His brother helps run the place also. They also just opened up Gabe's bagels which is New York-style bagels which is where Ed is from. Now let's get back to cheating or posting a cute gif

giphy.gif

I for one am completely fine with giving the players (especially the stars) piles of cash to play here considering how much money is made in the business of cbb and cfb. 

1. It absolutely infuriates me that IU is fine with making Millions off the program each year all while putting out a below average product, self sabotaging multiple times over the decades, and acting smug and pretentious about it on top of that. To a certain point it seems like the loyalty of the fan base is being exploited. I have no moral opposition to giving some of that money to the kids who generate it. 

2. The NCAA doesn’t even enforce their own rules. I know there is a portion of our fan base that is traumatized from the Sampson era’s consequences, but it’s pretty clear in retrospect that self reporting to the NCAA was  like cutting off the hand to avoid a slap on the wrist, and served us no benefit when we could have just fired him. All it takes is to look at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc to see that as long as programs are profitable and popular, the NCAA has no interest in actually hindering them. The direction of college athletics is even trending to make it easier to get away with this kind of stuff with NIL. It doesn’t even have to be done with bag men anymore. I am 100% sure that with full support we can find smart and creative ways to get players compensated and actually complete to land the players we need. 

These issues really have nothing to do with Woody (whom I really like) or even Archie or Crean. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we have a program that is so profitable and well supported perform this badly so consistently. IMO it’s the result of the sum of multiple decisions by the administration and BOT over the decades that have had a myriad of other impacts on the school than just in athletics but are the most visible and easily quantifiable in the basketball program. 

8 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

NIL hasn't changed for hardly anyone. Look at the small handful of players with big NIL. They play for schools we all know are slimy.

IU starting an NIL directory etc doesn't make pockets full of hidden money suddenly appear. Kentucky's Porsche dealer likely has donated under the table money previously.

Nothing has proven your point.

I'm just saying... It's be nice to get the Volvo peeps to hand over a car for an NIL or the peeps at the Foreign Auto Connect to hand over a Lambo or a Porsche or whatever or a the Audi place to hand over an Audi R8... That's three 5* guys right there. Maybe the businesses in Lexington are bigger fans of UK than bigger businesses in Bloomington are of IU. I don't know. But we need big time talent in Bloomington. For whatever reason, we can never get more than one 5*. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I for one am completely fine with giving the players (especially the stars) piles of cash to play here considering how much money is made in the business of cbb and cfb. 

1. It absolutely infuriates me that IU is fine with making Millions off the program each year all while putting out a below average product, self sabotaging multiple times over the decades, and acting smug and pretentious about it on top of that. To a certain point it seems like the loyalty of the fan base is being exploited. I have no moral opposition to giving some of that money to the kids who generate it. 

2. The NCAA doesn’t even enforce their own rules. I know there is a portion of our fan base that is traumatized from the Sampson era’s consequences, but it’s pretty clear in retrospect that self reporting to the NCAA was  like cutting off the hand to avoid a slap on the wrist, and served us no benefit when we could have just fired him. All it takes is to look at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc to see that as long as programs are profitable and popular, the NCAA has no interest in actually hindering them. The direction of college athletics is even trending to make it easier to get away with this kind of stuff with NIL. It doesn’t even have to be done with bag men anymore. I am 100% sure that with full support we can find smart and creative ways to get players compensated and actually complete to land the players we need. 

These issues really have nothing to do with Woody (whom I really like) or even Archie or Crean. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we have a program that is so profitable and well supported perform this badly so consistently. IMO it’s the result of the sum of multiple decisions by the administration and BOT over the decades that have had a myriad of other impacts on the school than just in athletics but are the most visible and easily quantifiable in the basketball program. 

Apparently IU is having some sort of NIL announcement tomorrow in conjunction with the Cook Group and local charities.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm just saying... It's be nice to get the Volvo peeps to hand over a car for an NIL or the peeps at the Foreign Auto Connect to hand over a Lambo or a Porsche or whatever or a the Audi place to hand over an Audi R8... That's three 5* guys right there. Maybe the businesses in Lexington are bigger fans of UK than bigger businesses in Bloomington are of IU. I don't know. But we need big time talent in Bloomington. For whatever reason, we can never get more than one 5*. 

The Porsche dealer was in Louisville. Also, it wasn't handed over until after TyTy was at Kensucky, not sure about getting 5* first or deals first, but those 3 biz's you mentioned also have to be huge supporters.

5*s sure makes it easier.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

The Porsche dealer was in Louisville. Also, it wasn't handed over until after TyTy was at Kensucky, not sure about getting 5* first or deals first, but those 3 biz's you mentioned also have to be huge supporters.

5*s sure makes it easier.

I don't think you can entice kids with actual deals until after they signed. Actually schools are not supposed to be part of the deal in anyway

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think you can entice kids with actual deals until after they signed. Actually schools are not supposed to be part of the deal in anyway

In the real world…..

Recruiter - “you are a 5* that we really want. By the way did you happen to know that all of our recruits from last year are driving Porsches?” 

No promise, no guarantee but crystal clear what will happen if they sign. 

14 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

In the real world…..

Recruiter - “you are a 5* that we really want. By the way did you happen to know that all of our recruits from last year are driving Porsches?” 

But, but market value and rules and such

It is open season more so than ever before in college basketball. We can make moves or excuses.

20 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

In the real world…..

I love college basketball but things like this is starting to make me rethink how I feel about it.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I love college basketball but things like this is starting to make me rethink how I feel about it.

You’ve loved a college basketball that works exactly like this your entire life. Now it’s legal and you aren’t sure?

Just now, Hovadipo said:

You’ve loved a college basketball that works exactly like this your entire life. Now it’s legal and you aren’t sure?

At some places but not everywhere