Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Rutgers - 03/02/22 @ 7:00 on BTN

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Never want IU to be like UK in any way

They make the elite 8 every other year while we fight and claw our way to the bubble. 

The solution to our problem is so simple, imo, which makes it all the more frustrating. Pay $6+ million a year for an elite coach, look the other way and let him engage in the recruiting game, and then win. You can’t sit here and tell me it wouldn’t work. You may not want to do it that way, but it would get us back to the top. Instead, we handicap ourselves and toil in mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, HoosierX said:

The problem with your line of thinking is that very likely, our fan base in terms of bad actors is really no different than others. If there are more of them, it’s simply because we have more fans. And yet other programs with large fanbases manage to be successful even though they have crazies on twitter too. Your issue, I would guess, is that you are mostly only exposed to our fanbase, so you think it is an IU problem. Statistically the idea that the personalities within our fanbase on a per capita basis is that different than others when you’re talking a population size of hundreds of thousands is just not very likely.

Didn't you read my last sentence about programs who are successful, the recruits will over look it but we are not successful.  I think the some of the reason you see guys like Few and Wright not leave for jobs like UCLA is that they don't want to deal with idiot fans of top programs.  You noticed that some of the top programs lately have filled their position with former players who has no HC experience.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They make the elite 8 every other year while we fight and claw our way to the bubble. 

The solution to our problem is so simple, imo, which makes it all the more frustrating. Pay $6+ million a year for an elite coach, look the other way and let him engage in the recruiting game, and then win. You can’t sit here and tell me it wouldn’t work. You may not want to do it that way, but it would get us back to the top. Instead, we handicap ourselves and toil in mediocrity. 

I am never for win at any cost and the IU I grew up would never want to see that. To me it is embarrassing to this fan base that so many newer fans want us to win no matter what.  I rather have seasons like this than win knowing we had to cheat like hell to do it.

What elite coaches do you think will leave their current job to come here. If it was true we did try to get Stevens for 10 million and turned us down. Why has other blue bloods this past year hired a former player and assistant coach instead of an elite coach. I don't think you will see elite coaches leaving their current position to go to a place like IU.  Why did UCLA get turned down by elite coaches and had to settle for Mic Cronin

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't you read my last sentence about programs who are successful, the recruits will over look it but we are not successful.  I think the some of the reason you see guys like Few and Wright not leave for jobs like UCLA is that they don't want to deal with idiot fans of top programs.  You noticed that some of the top programs lately have filled their position with former players who has no HC experience.

Mark Few and Jay Wright have proven they can win championships (yes I know Few hasn’t won yet) without us. They’re not coming to IU because, I mean, why would they? It has absolutely jack all to do with the fans.

The fact that we’re not winning and are not an elite brand anymore is a huge reason why we’re no longer a top 5 job, but it has literally nothing to do with the fans.

I’ve been a Mike Woodson supporter and have given him the benefit when others were frustrated and upset with his coaching moves; however, when I read this article I now may have a totally new perspective.  We just got rid of a coach that was stubborn and stuck in his coaching ways and CMW had restricted TJD’s ability to shoot midrange shots or let him step away from the floor.  CMW was asked in an interview why TJD doesn’t shoot outside shots and his exact words was I don’t restrict from stepping out and taking those shots.  According to this article, TJD stated the CMW wants him to post up and be a back to the basket player because that is best for the team.  Honestly, it is not.  It would have suited TJD and really benefit the team if he was able to step out away from the basket and hit some jumpers which would have open things up for him and the team and pull the opposing big away from the basket.  I am starting to develop a different attitude and perspective on CMW and that some of the things I’ve been hearing may be fairly true.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/article259050488.html

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think our fans are part of the reason we don't get better candidates for when we have a coaching opening.  Why would any successful power 5 conference coach leave to come here. If they come here and don't turn it around year one then some of the fan base starts calling for your head.  Also I think how our fans treat the players on the team you say you love is a problem with recruiting.  If you are successful and have fans like that then recruits will over look it but right now we are not successful.

I do think anyone expected to be contending for the conference, let alone national, title this year.  How about improvements on FT shooting?  It's only the easiest shot in the game.  How about adjustments so that two players who can't stay in front of a chair aren't on the floor at the same time.  Bar too high?  How about not blowing a 20 point lead because the team only played one half?

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nah, we have fans that pretend IU was completely clean under RMK and had a bunch of choir boys on the team.

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Nah, we have fans that pretend IU was completely clean under RMK and had a bunch of choir boys on the team.

Not sure if they’re pretending or just don’t know. But smoking pot was rampant at the end of Knight’s tenure. I’m willing to bet it was before as well.

And to be clear, I couldn’t care less about it.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think our fans are part of the reason we don't get better candidates for when we have a coaching opening.  Why would any successful power 5 conference coach leave to come here. If they come here and don't turn it around year one then some of the fan base starts calling for your head.  Also I think how our fans treat the players on the team you say you love is a problem with recruiting.  If you are successful and have fans like that then recruits will over look it but right now we are not successful.

If we didn't have such an excuse filled fan base this program wouldn't have much of a fan base but let's place the blame on the fans. Let's ignore the inept administration for decades. Let's ignore the environment around Btown. Let's blame the fans, that's perfectly logical.

Who was it that said they wouldn't touch IU because of the administration? Who was it that said they didn't want to come to Btown?

The big meanie fans tweetering players and coaches (as dumb as it is) is the least of this programs worries.

20 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I’ve been a Mike Woodson supporter and have given him the benefit when others were frustrated and upset with his coaching moves; however, when I read this article I now may have a totally new perspective.  We just got rid of a coach that was stubborn and stuck in his coaching ways and CMW had restricted TJD’s ability to shoot midrange shots or let him step away from the floor.  CMW was asked in an interview why TJD doesn’t shoot outside shots and his exact words was I don’t restrict from stepping out and taking those shots.  According to this article, TJD stated the CMW wants him to post up and be a back to the basket player because that is best for the team.  Honestly, it is not.  It would have suited TJD and really benefit the team if he was able to step out away from the basket and hit some jumpers which would have open things up for him and the team and pull the opposing big away from the basket.  I am starting to develop a different attitude and perspective on CMW and that some of the things I’ve been hearing may be fairly true.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/article259050488.html

I heard CMW say in interviews he wants TJD to shoot but he doesn't feel confident to do so.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I heard CMW say in interviews he wants TJD to shoot but he doesn't feel confident to do so.

Not according to that article, he wants him to post up which is best for the team.  To me, they are saying contradicting things

On 3/2/2022 at 8:51 PM, southernindianahoosier2 said:

He didn't end up here because we didn't ask. Only Beard know's if he would come here or not. If in 5 years he goes to UNC or DUKE, then where's your argument stand? 

IU is not Duke or UNC.

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am never for win at any cost and the IU I grew up would never want to see that. To me it is embarrassing to this fan base that so many newer fans want us to win no matter what.  I rather have seasons like this than win knowing we had to cheat like hell to do it.

What elite coaches do you think will leave their current job to come here. If it was true we did try to get Stevens for 10 million and turned us down. Why has other blue bloods this past year hired a former player and assistant coach instead of an elite coach. I don't think you will see elite coaches leaving their current position to go to a place like IU.  Why did UCLA get turned down by elite coaches and had to settle for Mic Cronin

I don’t know how much UCLA was offering. They’re paying Cronin about $4 million a year, which is closer to like $3 million when you account for taxes and COL. Duke hired an assistant because that’s what Coach K wanted. They even hired that particular assistant over a different one because it’s what he wanted. Brad Stevens literally quit coaching, so I don’t read much into him turning IU down. 

Money talks. Saying no one wants a job is just talk. Going to a guy and offering to double or triple his salary will catch his attention. And heck, I think Woodson could do fine enough here if we untied his hands. Look at Sean Miller at Arizona. Just putting out better talent than your competition can make a difference. You might not win a title or go to a final four, but you’ll be a regular tournament team. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, Golfman25 said:

Name the coach who was comming here for $7m.  Calipari and K are two of the best who ever coached.  You going to overpay, whom.  

Bruce Pearl

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Perfectly said.  The fanbase has never had the win at all cost attitude and we shouldn’t but having 6 straight seasons and 12 of the last 14 not making it to the tournament can weigh on a fanbase and it is completely understandable but we need to stop because it’s beneath us!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It’s also because they don’t want to change the culture.  Once you do that and the next coach doesn’t work out, you end up in mediocrity.  IU could he considered case and point