Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Rutgers - 03/02/22 @ 7:00 on BTN

10 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Marshall is available and we could get him cheap.  Yeah I know he has some baggage but he's top 5 coach nationally.  I watched his Wichita teams for years and he's the real deal.  But of course IU is too good to go that route.  We'd rather lose the right way.

Yeah I don’t see IU going with an alleged abuser.  Kinda what cause this mess to begin with.  

For the life of me, I can’t figure out 2 things:
1) He didn’t put someone along the baseline behind the zone to attack it. Their back line of the 2-3 was extended up towards the free throw line, why we didn’t put someone on the baseline is a head scratcher to me. 
2) Why didn’t we put more pressure on the ball when it was inbounded into Harper? We just backed off of him and allowed him to bring it up the court and he stepped right into his shot because Race was backed way off of him. By putting pressure on the ball, you force to use more clock and to possibly give it up or take a more contested shot.

I haven’t criticized CMW this year but those two things were head scratchers to me.

Thoughts?

Woody this year, no bueno. He's been a bottom tier coach. Dude should probably hire an offensive expert because he knows about as much as Archie did, nothing. Substitution patterns all year were god awful. Energy, effort, focus of this team was god awful. Maybe it's just the dudes on the roster... Maybe finally time to say bye to basically the entire roster and start new. Woody isn't going to last long as this rate. 

Regarding Sampson…the man took a terrible program like Houston and is now taking them to Final Fours! He’s a hell of a coach and was very well-liked among players. BILAS called him a “HOF coach” this year. Our program’s trajectory forever changed when we fired Sampson. Instead of having a 6th banner or a couple Final Fours these last 14 years, as we would’ve with Samson as head coach, we’re stuck losing to Rutgers on senior night. Those darn phone calls. Let’s not forget we self-reported these violations too!!!

How could we forget? I’d rehire Sampson in a freaking heartbeat. We’re going to have to cheat to get this heartbeat back into this program again. If we do, need to get the compliance staff on the same page or they need to go!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Marshall is available and we could get him cheap.  Yeah I know he has some baggage but he's top 5 coach nationally.  I watched his Wichita teams for years and he's the real deal.  But of course IU is too good to go that route.  We'd rather lose the right way.

We’re not hiring Tom Crean Jr., especially with his latest allegations. 

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

How could we forget? I’d rehire Sampson in a freaking heartbeat. We’re going to have to cheat to get this heartbeat back into this program again. If we do, need to get the compliance staff on the same page or they need to go!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t even consider it cheating. Cheating is when you’re trying to gain competitive advantages on your opponents, imo. If we ‘play the game,’ we’re just leveling the playing field. Right now we’re trying to win with one arm tied behind our backs.

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t even consider it cheating. Cheating is when you’re trying to gain competitive advantages on your opponents, imo. If we ‘play the game,’ we’re just leveling the playing field. Right now we’re trying to win with one arm tied behind our backs.

You could argue that if the NCAA doesn't care, and they don't, you're just playing by the rules established.  Written 'rules' aren't woth the paper they're written on if not enforced.

https://twitter.com/copperpotamus/status/1499226191869497348?s=20&t=VfEJtvTW_nYcBDfWZPZ2bg

Have to think this has something to do with coaching. You don't get to these high win probabilities in games if the roster is as bad as we say it is. More than enough on this roster to be a tournament team and we pissed it away...AGAIN

23 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

https://twitter.com/copperpotamus/status/1499226191869497348?s=20&t=VfEJtvTW_nYcBDfWZPZ2bg

Have to think this has something to do with coaching. You don't get to these high win probabilities in games if the roster is as bad as we say it is. More than enough on this roster to be a tournament team and we pissed it away...AGAIN

It's more than just coaching. You don't drop some of those games if it is JUST coaching. You could probably trace a lot of it back to coaching though. There is a lot of room for improvement moving forward.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

It's more than just coaching. You don't drop some of those games if it is JUST coaching. You could probably trace a lot of it back to coaching though. There is a lot of room for improvement moving forward.

Yeah didn't mean to say it's all coaching just that it's all just bad and upsetting lol

Still just can't get over the fact that Anthony Leal never stepped on the court last night. Arguably our best passer didn't step on the court when the ball movement was nowhere to be found and our "shooters" couldn't shoot. A time when our team needed grit and toughness and our grittiest player (outside of Trey) didn't step on the court.

Woody's answer that he wanted to go with the seniors in a game like this is unacceptable. I didn't think he gave a rat's a$$ about senior night but I was wrong. 

Hope he can get it going, but he needs to learn from last night.

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Woody's answer that he wanted to go with the seniors in a game like this is unacceptable.

He said that? Yikes. Hopefully he meant because of experience (not that any of the experience is good) and not because of senior night itself.

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He said that? Yikes. Hopefully he meant because of experience (not that any of the experience is good) and not because of senior night itself.

I'm sure he meant experience, but still, they were not getting it done.

"Again guys, I went with my seniors tonight in a critical game, and we fell a little short."

Can be read as just because of experience. But when it was also senior night, one can read a bit more into it imo

27 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Still just can't get over the fact that Anthony Leal never stepped on the court last night. Arguably our best passer didn't step on the court when the ball movement was nowhere to be found and our "shooters" couldn't shoot. A time when our team needed grit and toughness and our grittiest player (outside of Trey) didn't step on the court.

Woody's answer that he wanted to go with the seniors in a game like this is unacceptable. I didn't think he gave a rat's a$$ about senior night but I was wrong. 

Hope he can get it going, but he needs to learn from last night.

Leal has yet to prove he can play at this level. We stunk but Leal doesn’t solve any of our issues.

Just now, IUc2016 said:

I'm sure he meant experience, but still, they were not getting it done.

"Again guys, I went with my seniors tonight in a critical game, and we fell a little short."

Can be read as just because of experience. But when it was also senior night, one can read a bit more into it imo

Yeah, that's not a great quote lol. Give us 25 minutes of freshman Tamar Bates getting all those wide open looks that Stewart was clanking and maybe the sun would be shining a little this morning.