Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Rutgers - 03/02/22 @ 7:00 on BTN

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

IU players skipping class and doing drugs is nothing new. And I don’t want choir boys, I want ball players. IU could have worked with Sampson to figure things out like most other elite programs would do but the administration wanted to virtue signal and then give ourselves the death penalty. We fired an outstanding coach for making too many phone calls while other schools look the other way when their coaches deliver duffle bags.

I agree, he’s a good coach and yes, we probably overreacted on something that isn’t even a violation now but that is the first time they have been put in that situation and they panic but here we are.  It set us back big time.  Nonetheless, Sampscum cheated and was told to stop but continued.  He was the one who screwed up and the Administration thought they were doing what was right.  If you want to be mad or upset at anyone, it should be him for putting the Administration and University in that situation.  By the way, they did give him another chance and he got caught doing it again, like I said blame him.

Most teams don’t depend on their “5” being the go-to guy in crunch time because those guys get double/triple teamed in the post.
We need dependable/consistent 1/2/3’s. The lack of dependable 1/2/3’s is an absolute killer. Stewart and Kopp were 3-14 from 3 tonight. If they had been 5-14 (35%) we win tonight. It’s baffling that we have gone so long without good, end of game, shooters.
I think X will be a decent/good PG next year but we still need multi-dimensional 2 and 3’s. I had incorrectly hoped Bates would be one of those guys this year (hopefully he can develop into that role if he is around next year) but it didn’t happen.

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

He was on probation and by extension so was IU.

We didn’t give ourselves the death penalty. Crean kicked those guys off when he got here. 

Partially true. We fired a guy that had us headed for a top seed in the tourney that sent our season into the crapper. 
by firing and self reporting we also amplified the sanctions on this program that made this a tougher sell to incoming coaches and also virtue signaled that if you slip up we will get rid of you. Thus we hired clean Crean and he was told that running a clean program was key, this him letting go the good players that were trouble makers. 
it was Sampson but more so the university that set the tone for everything that has happened since 

10 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

It is just something they say to explain why iu fails. I will never believe nobody wants a high paying job because they are scared of the moment

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Well said. Does no one want IU if we're paying $7m a year and have facilities and fantastic administration? Or does no one want IU getting paid average salary, poor facilities, bad sponsorship, and an inept administration? 

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Partially true. We fired a guy that had us headed for a top seed in the tourney that sent our season into the crapper. 
by firing and self reporting we also amplified the sanctions on this program that made this a tougher sell to incoming coaches and also virtue signaled that if you slip up we will get rid of you. Thus we hired clean Crean and he was told that running a clean program was key, this him letting go the good players that were trouble makers. 
it was Sampson but more so the university that set the tone for everything that has happened since 

Just think of our self reporting, for PHONE CALLS,  as opposed to UNC, Kansas, Auburn, Arizona and LSU fighting/stonewalling the NCAA. All of them had much more egregious infractions but they all walked!

Good, can turn off my cable now and save a month. Missed the last 3/5 games and have zero interest watching them get blasted by 30 at Lafayette. IU is a bottom feeding has been. I don't even give a Purdue Person about the banners and was around for the last 2. IU is just that dude who talks about benching 315 in high school. Nobody cares. 

I have no romance left for this program. Fill Assembly Hall in, new stadium, Nike sponsored, one and dones. UK having a blast each year while we're over here still talking about that one time that dude hit a 3. Maybe one day we'll hire a real coach like Matt Painter or Brad Underwood. There I said it. Going to bed. 

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree, he’s a good coach and yes, we probably overreacted on something that isn’t even a violation now but that is the first time they have been put in that situation and they panic but here we are.  It set us back big time.  Nonetheless, Sampscum cheated and was told to stop but continued.  He was the one who screwed up and the Administration thought they were doing what was right.  If you want to be mad or upset at anyone, it should be him for putting the Administration and University in that situation.  By the way, they did give him another chance and he got caught doing it again, like I said blame him.

Guys, not to go off on a tangent, but you have to go back to the Knight saga for the context.  Knight was bigger than the school.  IU adminstration made a concious decision that they didn't want that type of coach.  They wanted a run of the mill guy who wouldn't attract attention.  And they could care less about the program back then.  So when Sampon fd up, they went death penalty for a misdemeanor.  Set the program back to where it is today.  

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Look at Greg Gards roster this year. That’s what we need to hope for at some point. Indiana can’t/won’t buy a roster. We sure as hell can’t outcoach our way to success. This season will be a major knock on Woody much like Archie’s Romeo season. Momentum is sunk again. Nobody cares if you played and coached in the NBA if you can’t win in college. Future isn’t bright. I feel really bad for the players and staff. They’ve made their jobs infinitely harder.

I guess it’s just another season where the bar of success gets dropped another few rungs.

I want us to be a top 10 program, and we can’t even be a top 50 program. Archie and staff better recruit as if their coaching lives depend on it because it does.

Sad…..

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Gard won 18 games last year and was a 9 seed. Somehow he got momentum this year

6 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

No crean kicked the kids off when he took the job. He wanted to start fresh.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

JaMarcus Ellis and Armon Basset were dismissed from the team before Crean arrived.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2008/03/31/report-armon-bassett-and-jamarcus-ellis-dismissed/

After switching from the Shrine drink ofchoice Busch Light to Maker's..... Today my late father, who got his masters from IU, would have been 78. This is just a game. My parents house sold for 25,0000 over appraised value. It's a game. I can't call my parents tomorrow to talk about it. They're both gone. Just wanted to being some perspective to the frustration. Am I frustrated? Damn. Skippy. Parker hits just 1, just 1 if those 3's? This isn't a loss. Bunnies. For. The. Love. Of. God. How can they not hit from 2' or less? Mind bottling. Yes I said mind BOTTLING. Maybe they dance, maybe they don't. Focus on life, living, and your loved ones. Mods, if I'm out of line, please delete. Maker's made me do it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Well said. Does no one want IU if we're paying $7m a year and have facilities and fantastic administration? Or does no one want IU getting paid average salary, poor facilities, bad sponsorship, and an inept administration? 

Vs what.  If I am a top coach, and I am getting that $7m from any school, why pick run of the mill IU.   Good coaches know they are good.  They won't be settlilng.  

1 minute ago, pappy1865 said:

After switching from the Shrine drink if choice Busch Light to Maker's..... Today my late father, who got his masters from IU, would have been 78. This is just a game. My parents house sold for 25,0000 over appraised value. It's a game. I can't call my parents tomorrow to talk about it. They're both gone. Just wanted to being some perspective to the frustration. Am I frustrated? Damn. Skippy. Parker hits just 1, just 1 if those 3's? This isn't a loss. Bunnies. For. The. Love. Of. God. How can they not hit from 2' or less? Mind bottling. Yes I said mind BOTTLING. Maybe they dance, maybe they don't. Focus on life, living, and your loved ones. Mods, if I'm out of line, please delete. Maker's made me do it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using BtownBanners mobile app

They don’t hit bunnies because the go up soft to try to avoid contact or they try too hard to draw contact which causes them to not even hit the rim at times. There are times in a game if you hit pause at the right moment and TJD is near horizontal to the floor. 

9 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Sampson knew what it took to win at a high level in the P5 and that’s what he was doing at IU. He kept doing it because he wanted to keep winning. And winning he certainly was. We were rolling when the admin fired him. I’m not going to blame him when he was doing what needed to be done. I blame the administration for not having his back like any other elite program would’ve done.

16 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Actually, I thought Dackich kicked the problems off.  Crean had to use baseball players to fill the roster, no.  

No. Crean cleaned house. Ie - Eli Holman throwing a plant at him 

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Vs what.  If I am a top coach, and I am getting that $7m from any school, why pick run of the mill IU.   Good coaches know they are good.  They won't be settlilng.  

Only two coaches in college basketball get paid $7 million a year. Calipari and Coach K. You’re just making excuses for the administration. The disaster that was our coaching hire is easier to swallow when you believe we didn’t have any other options. 

29 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

One thing (among many) that confuses me  ... 

During TJD's presser discussing his decision to stay, he was jacked up about how he was gonna spend the offseason and this extra year working on his deficiencies. He was gonna learn to go to his right and develop a mid-range jumper. 

Flash forward 9 months: He still can't go to his right and still has no mid-range jumper. 

You have to put in the work.  Point blank.

TJD has done a lot of talking since he’s been here.  Some kids have the drive to get better and some don’t.  He’s a dunker that likes to beat on his own chest.  If that’s who he wants to be that’s cool.  You be you.  He will be able to make a living playing basketball overseas and I wish him the best.  It’s time to move on.

We need a leader and an alpha.  They don’t need to be the same person but right now we have neither.

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s not how it works. In fact, it’s pretty much the opposite of that. 

That’s exactly how it works. When you self report you amplify the sanctions that would have never come otherwise. If you haven’t noticed, that is about the only way to get in trouble and we went that route

I highly recommend taking up gambling and betting against IU every game(be safe and just pick our opponent to cover if we’re favored). It takes some sting off on nights like this. It’s been a poor to quite poor college hoops season for me on the gambling front but my bets on IU games are saving it.

Gard won 18 games last year and was a 9 seed. Somehow he got momentum this year

That’s my point. Winning close games but a roster that doesn’t intimidate anyone. They could re-run this season and Wisconsin could finish 7th or 8th and no one would be surprised. We just have to hope for that miracle, things click type season because we aren’t overpowering with recruiting and especially not coaching. Probably a bad comparison because Gard is a much crappier person but a far more college ready coach.

I guess, My point is, we need to find a way to have an outlier season without outlier talent. And Woodson as our coach, I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app