Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Maryland - 2/24/22 @ 7:00 on FS1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, AKHoosier said:

It's sad to think those uniforms made it past someone's desk.

After the game is over, put 'em in a pile and light it up.

Why can IU not get alternates done right?  Is it Adidas, are they just not creative?

Adidas doesn’t have near the creative talent in the US as Nike. Cannot stand that we are with them. We need a rebrand in so many ways and Nike is the company up to the task. Get the Indiana Basketball program winning again and Nike will allocate more dollars. Hurts that our football program is irrelevant though. 

It’s nice to get a win first and foremost.  We had to have that.  

It was great to see X have a good game.  He seems like a good kid and plays hard. He has had several really good games this year.  Hopefully we see more of that.

Kopp seems to take a lot of criticism on here.  He had a couple of really bad plays but I would take him over Parker all day.  Having said that, Anthony Leal needs more minutes.

This game reinforces my belief that we will be better next year without TJD.  I still feel confident saying that without knowing what the rest of the roster looks like (waiting for the guys on here that like to throw stats around to chime in).  Did anyone catch his smirk after that missed free throw then he completely air balled the next one?  What was that all about?  I loved the reaction from CMW.
Race Thompson is our best basketball player.  We are better next year without TJD regardless but if Race comes back we have a chance to be really good.

If Rob and Galloway get back we can compete with most teams and have a chance in most games.

5 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

It was great to see X have a good game.  He seems like a good kid and plays hard. He has had several really good games this year.  Hopefully we see more of that.

Kopp seems to take a lot of criticism on here.  He had a couple of really bad plays but I would take him over Parker all day.  Having said that, Anthony Leal needs more minutes.

This game reinforces my belief that we will be better next year without TJD.  I still feel confident saying that without knowing what the rest of the roster looks like (waiting for the guys on here that like to throw stats around to chime in).  Did anyone catch his smirk after that missed free throw then he completely air balled the next one?  What was that all about?  I loved the reaction from CMW.
Race Thompson is our best basketball player.  We are better next year without TJD regardless but if Race comes back we have a chance to be really good.

If Rob and Galloway get back we can compete with most teams and have a chance in most games.

Sorry, but this is a bad take lol. Race is great piece. He's not better than TJD though. 

I agree Leal might needs more minutes, but talking about him, Kopp and PStew in the same breath is a bit head scratching. Kopp is just not that good, and his minutes are a product of roster limitations. PStew and Leal are a better conversation, but both are limited at this point in their very different careers. 

I do agree we need Gallo and Phin. We're different with them. But we'd be horrible without TJD right now taking most of the attention from other teams. If we shot better as a team, I might agree with you a bit more. But we don't.

15 minutes ago, Southside said:

Sorry, but this is a bad take lol. Race is great piece. He's not better than TJD though. 

I agree Leal might needs more minutes, but talking about him, Kopp and PStew in the same breath is a bit head scratching. Kopp is just not that good, and his minutes are a product of roster limitations. PStew and Leal are a better conversation, but both are limited at this point in their very different careers. 

I do agree we need Gallo and Phin. We're different with them. But we'd be horrible without TJD right now taking most of the attention from other teams. If we shot better as a team, I might agree with you a bit more. But we don't.

I said we will be a better team next year without TJD.  

Kopp has struggled offensively and we may not be getting what we expected from him but he is at least somewhat adequate on defense.  Parker plays zero defense and is still getting way too many minutes.  Leal absolutely needs more minutes.  He has been ready to play each time his number has been called and he has really improved from last season.  

24 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I said we will be a better team next year without TJD.  

Kopp has struggled offensively and we may not be getting what we expected from him but he is at least somewhat adequate on defense.  Parker plays zero defense and is still getting way too many minutes.  Leal absolutely needs more minutes.  He has been ready to play each time his number has been called and he has really improved from last season.  

Not sure in what world Kopp is adequate on D given the minutes he gets. Comparing him to Stewart is not really a thing in that aspect. 

Like I said, I'm OK with Leal getting more time. 

4 minutes ago, Southside said:

Not sure in what world Kopp is adequate on D given the minutes he gets. Comparing him to Stewart is not really a thing in that aspect. 

Like I said, I'm OK with Leal getting more time. 

I’m not sure what your seeing but Kopp is very active with his hands and gets quite a few deflections.  Having been to almost all our home games it’s really noticeable live plus you actually hear him talking on the court unlike some others.  He is not first team all BIG or anything close to it  but he is not a complete liability on that end.  The biggest problem with him is we are not getting the offense we were expecting.

1 hour ago, Southside said:

I agree with Kaulie, I'm not saying Race is better than TJD, but we look better as a team and more players get involved when TJD is on the bench. 

15 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I’m not sure what your seeing but Kopp is very active with his hands and gets quite a few deflections.  Having been to almost all our home games it’s really noticeable live plus you actually hear him talking on the court unlike some others.  He is not first team all BIG or anything close to it  but he is not a complete liability on that end.  The biggest problem with him is we are not getting the offense we were expecting.

Kopp is not good. He gets top 5 minutes, but not top 5 in any stat except in FT%, and he doesn't shoot a lot of FTs lol.

Not saying he's not good on the floor in terms of the bolded, but just being vocal does not equate to good. Just speaks more to the roster that Woody inherited and was able to scrape together. 

We would be much better if our players were playing near their potential. There are plenty of Big 1.o opponents where TJD is undersized. I love me some Race but he's a modern day 5 playing in the body of a 4. If Race is our starting 5 next season I hope he's hitting 35%+ from deep to completely spread the floor. It just won't be pretty on defense.

Leal gives the e and e many others could learn from but what % of possessions did he keep his man in front of him? He would be fine on defense if he could remain on another team's shooter that isn't really a dribble drive threat (think Ahrens, purdoodoo dude, etc.).

At this point in the season, we are who we are and will have to fight to win a few more to get into the tourney.

Didn't get to watch last nights game, but it was nice to hear we won. 

I'll be more excited if we can win on the road this weekend. There's still a chance we can make the dance. I think a win vs Minny and Rutgers plus two wins in the B1G tourney will cement us in the field. Can't afford to lose to Minny and Rutgers as we're not beating Purdue. And we all know we're not winning the Big Ten Tournament.  

I to am not seeing the Leal love. Hasn’t been great when he has had his chance. Atleast he finally hit a shot last night but his defense was cringe worthy at times. We don’t have a whole lot of good options but still I don’t see Leal getting big minutes ever while he is at IU unless he improves drastically. If he does eventually see big minutes I’m not sure our roster is where it will need to be to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Dillion said:

I to am not seeing the Leal love. Hasn’t been great when he has had his chance. Atleast he finally hit a shot last night but his defense was cringe worthy at times. We don’t have a whole lot of good options but still I don’t see Leal getting big minutes ever while he is at IU unless he improves drastically. If he does eventually see big minutes I’m not sure our roster is where it will need to be to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the rest of the team had his on court IQ, we would be Top 15 in the nation. He moves more, he sees more, he sees more passing angles etc. Sure his defense isnt up to par, but our defense isn't our big problem. The other end of the court is our massive problem. 

9 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

The stat guys will prove you wrong but I agree, we seem to be better when TJD is not on the floor.  TJD is our best player but the ball seems to not move when he is in there, except for last night.  When he makes his reads and decisions quick, the ball finally moved.  Maybe in this new role of him being a facilitator, it was taking him awhile to learn and process which also reflected in his decision making on the floor. I think Race is much improved and has been our most consistent and steady player all year.  Because TJD commands so many double teams, we really can’t say Race is better.  I do think he’s been a better free throw shooter than Trayce and his rebounding has been more consistent than Trayce, especially in the B10.  When the game is on the line to hit free throws to win a game, I would rather have Race than Trayce at the free throw line.  Hitting Free throws are an important part of the game and it just doesn’t look like he takes them seriously or works on them, and that proved obvious in the two free throws he missed last night.  Shooting free throws is about having good focus and a good repeatable routine.  For example the guy who shot the tech free throws for Maryland shoots over 80%.  After he made the first one, he hand slapped imaginary teammates, that was part of his routine.  TJD needs to take free throw shooting more seriously than he does because when the game is on the line and he is at the free throw, I am crossing my fingers in hope that he hits them because I don’t have confidence that he will.