Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ O$U - 2/21/22 @ 7:00 on FS1-TV

18 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I always wondered who that dude is who sits next to Woodson during games, I know he's not an assistant coach. He always has a mask on and looks roughly the same age as Woodson.

Maybe it's standard practice for other programs to have "advisors" on staff, but it seems very odd and counterproductive.

Are they in practice? Do the players listen to them instead of actual assistant coaches? 

If I was an assistant, I'd be very frustrated. 

I think too there’s an issue of too many voices.  Especially when it seems the voices aren’t on the same page. 

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

What exactly did we think would happen when P Stew was put in a position to make a decision and then create against Wiscy? It's not his game. I know Woody has only been around him for a little under a year but that should be something he knows by now. Right? Maybe we have to wait until year 3 or 4.

Woody went to Rob in the purdoodoo game. There was some connection there with Rob being from the area. Rob got the last shot, twice. Thankfully, purdoodoo **** the bed trying to rebound and Rob was able to go 1/2 in that stretch.

P Stew lost his mind after dirty Davison poked him. Woody decides to put him in a position where he just wasn't going to succeed. Was that Woody's way of trying to build P Stew up to get a game tying (?) bucket? The play called was atrocious and had little to do with execution.

Under 5 seconds left yesterday, do we call a timeout to get a good look? Nope, inbound to a lackadaisical X who gets off a heave. Convenient Woody doesn't have to answer questions about his play call with 5 seconds. What was the best possible outcome of not calling a timeout? Probably what we got, we didn't turn it over to lose in regulation. 

The players and coaches don't appear to be on the same page. Hell, the players don't seem to even be on the same page. We're almost done with the season and we're still struggling to cover simple ball screens or communicate a switch. I wonder why that keeps happening and how could we possibly have corrected it 20+ games ago? We have players who struggle to defend anything moving but they consistently end up defending against one of the opponents better players. How do we struggle to find a good matchup and our opponent finds one so easily in crunch time? Probably just execution....

All valid statements that I can’t and won’t try to answer.  The only thing I know is we can’t call for a new coach to be fired after 1 year.  If that happens, we will have trouble landing any good coach.  

I know you have specific examples pertaining to our defense but I do know it’s our defense that is keeping us in games against good teams and it’s given us a chance to win those games.  I can’t support our offense though, it does leave a lot to be desired.  I figured we would run the motion offense since that what Woody played as a college player.  Woodson did say the D was ahead of the O, maybe this is the best it gets his year.  Maybe his O is too complex for these current players to grasp in 1 year.  It does seem to be this O is centered around TJD, not a good fit for playing in the B10.

X needs to quit shooting so much!  I am not a fan and it would not bother me if he left after this year.  Not showing a sense of urgency at the end of regulation and losing your man on D was indicative of how he has played this year.  His head seems to easily wonder and he loses focus, just like when he fouled out and got a tech in the process.  I still think he is bipolar 

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

As much as I didn't want to listen to any post game analysis, I needed some background noise. But Assembly Call had a comment that completely stuck out. In the second half, TJD on the bench, we made a run. During that run, the offense was moving and our perimeter players were making shots. As soon as TJD checked back in, the offense stopped moving and went back to force feeding the post and standing around. Their next comment truly hit home. Why can't the offense move like it was and still have TJD on the floor. This not only happened last night, but the Purdue game as well. 

I will have to go back and look but it seemed when the 2nd unit was in, we were running some motion. I might have been drinking and just seeing things. But that is what it looked like. 

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will have to go back and look but it seemed when the 2nd unit was in, we were running some motion. I might have been I was definitely drinking and just seeing things. But that is what it looked like. 

I think I might have just fixed that for you.    :)

At the risk of oversharing, me and the Missus decided at the start of February that while we already eat pretty healthy, we would make that month exclusively healthy food.  That means only whole grains, non-fat dairy, lean meat, and no alcoholic drinks of any kind.

The fact that the no 'boozy beery drinkies' pledge has coincided with a long IU losing streak has made that streak that much more miserable!

2 hours ago, reconmkd said:

As much as I didn't want to listen to any post game analysis, I needed some background noise. But Assembly Call had a comment that completely stuck out. In the second half, TJD on the bench, we made a run. During that run, the offense was moving and our perimeter players were making shots. As soon as TJD checked back in, the offense stopped moving and went back to force feeding the post and standing around. Their next comment truly hit home. Why can't the offense move like it was and still have TJD on the floor. This not only happened last night, but the Purdue game as well. 

This is exactly right.  

I don’t know if it’s a TJD problem or a coaching problem but it’s why I continue to say we will be better next year with no TJD.

7 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Just a quick question for those unable to see the entire game last night. The highlights show XJ shooting a shot at the buzzer end of regulation. It look like he was fouled in the highlight but I didn't see it well....any help??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

5 seconds left, he jogged up the floor and tried to take a 3 that was partially blocked. Very bad court & time awareness. We also had a timeout but earlier timeouts didn't go well either. 

1 minute ago, IU - Kaulie said:

This is exactly right.  

I don’t know if it’s a TJD problem or a coaching problem but it’s why I continue to say we will be better next year with no TJD.

Definitely be a different look . 

12 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Just a quick question for those unable to see the entire game last night. The highlights show XJ shooting a shot at the buzzer end of regulation. It look like he was fouled in the highlight but I didn't see it well....any help??

I don’t know if he was fouled or not but he seemed to kind of indicate postgame that he was. Their was no way we were going to get that kind of call.

Just now, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t know if he was fouled or not but he kind of indicated postgame that he was.  Their was no way we were going to get that kind of call there.

Push the ball up the floor a little faster, get 10-15 feet closer to the basket and there would have been a greater chance to get a foul called. 

7 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

I wondered about this as well.  It was very hard to see and I don't remember a replay.  He ended the game with a bunch of his shots blocked.  His dunk was clean block that they called.  His layup right side got rejected.  Then the final 3 point heave!  Woof.  Hit his free throws though.

2 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I always wondered who that dude is who sits next to Woodson during games, I know he's not an assistant coach. He always has a mask on and looks roughly the same age as Woodson.

Maybe it's standard practice for other programs to have "advisors" on staff, but it seems very odd and counterproductive.

Are they in practice? Do the players listen to them instead of actual assistant coaches? 

If I was an assistant, I'd be very frustrated. 

I have noticed him too and don’t know who he is or what title/role he has?  Maybe someone that knows can shed some light on who is and what his responsibilities are?

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

5 seconds left, he jogged up the floor and tried to take a 3 that was partially blocked. Very bad court & time awareness. We also had a timeout but earlier timeouts didn't go well either. 

I believe you.  I know the camera work was crap on it.....basically the OSU player made the shot and then the cameramen seemed to be focusing on everything except the play.  But it did take him five seconds to go from the where we inbounded it to twenty plus foot away from the hoop.  You can definitely go endline to endline in five seconds running full speed.    Danny Ainge did it against Notre Dame to send BYU to the elite eight, and he was weaving through traffic.  (inbounds at 8 seconds, layup at 3).

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I have noticed him too and don’t know who he is or what title/role he has?  Maybe someone that knows can shed some light on who is and what his responsibilities are?

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2021/6/9/mens-basketball-armond-hill-named-director-of-basketball-administration-for-hoosiers.aspx
Woodys right hand man 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

To me, he always looks like he is about to fall asleep. But then I've only been able to watch a few games this year.