Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ O$U - 2/21/22 @ 7:00 on FS1-TV

I've always found Dane Fife's path since leaving IU interesting. He coached at IPFW for six years, starting as a 25-year-old. His record is poor, but he did get slightly better each year and did have winning marks in his last two seasons. And he was above .500 overall in league play.

Then he goes to Michigan State -- for 10 years. To me, that just seemed like a long time to be an assistant at a Power 5 school if you have head coaching aspirations. I recall before we hired Archie, he was asked about the job and said basically, "Hell yes, I'm interested." 

But even being an IU grad, there really was nothing on his resume that would make anyone think he would or should be seriously considered. Kansas hiring Roy Williams was the last time I can think of a "blueblood" type program picking another program's assistant. 

I guess at one point, Fife almost took the Duquesne job -- but changed his mind. I wonder exactly what his goals are. Did he think he was gonna get the keys in East Lansing when Izzo hangs them up? Otherwise, you've got to venture out on your own and have some success running a program. 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've always found Dane Fife's path since leaving IU interesting. He coached at IPFW for six years, starting as a 25-year-old. His record is poor, but he did get slightly better each year and did have winning marks in his last two seasons. And he was above .500 overall in league play.

Then he goes to Michigan State -- for 10 years. To me, that just seemed like a long time to be an assistant at a Power 5 school if you have head coaching aspirations. I recall before we hired Archie, he was asked about the job and said basically, "Hell yes, I'm interested." 

But even being an IU grad, there really was nothing on his resume that would make anyone think he would or should be seriously considered. Kansas hiring Roy Williams was the last time I can think of a "blueblood" type program picking another program's assistant. 

I guess at one point, Fife almost took the Duquesne job -- but changed his mind. I wonder exactly what his goals are. Did he think he was gonna get the keys in East Lansing when Izzo hangs them up? Otherwise, you've got to venture out on your own and have some success running your own program. 

Mostly agree.

But Arizona hired Tommy Lloyd after last season. He was a long time Gonzaga assistant 

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've always found Dane Fife's path since leaving IU interesting. He coached at IPFW for six years, starting as a 25-year-old. His record is poor, but he did have winning marks in his last two seasons there and he was above .500 overall in league play. Then he goes to Michigan State -- for 10 years. To me, that just seemed like a long time to be an assistant at a Power 5 school if you have head coaching aspirations. I recall before we hired Archie, he was asked about the job and said basically, "Hell yes, I'm interested." 

I guess at one point, Fife almost took the Duquesne job -- but changed his mind. I wonder exactly what his goals are. Did he think he was gonna get the keys in East Lansing when Izzo hangs them up? Otherwise, you've got to venture out on your own and have some success running your own program. 

I know Arizona maybe isn’t blue blood but they hired Tommy Lloyd 

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I guess at one point, Fife almost took the Duquesne job -- but changed his mind. I wonder exactly what his goals are. Did he think he was gonna get the keys in East Lansing when Izzo hangs them up? Otherwise, you've got to venture out on your own and have some success running a program. 

I do know that Fife said Woodson/Dolson was the first people at IU since he left to even talk to him about coming back. 

8 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

And it could be just a lack of execution too!  I agree, the coach is ultimately responsible but the players have to execute too!

What exactly did we think would happen when P Stew was put in a position to make a decision and then create against Wiscy? It's not his game. I know Woody has only been around him for a little under a year but that should be something he knows by now. Right? Maybe we have to wait until year 3 or 4.

Woody went to Rob in the purdoodoo game. There was some connection there with Rob being from the area. Rob got the last shot, twice. Thankfully, purdoodoo **** the bed trying to rebound and Rob was able to go 1/2 in that stretch.

P Stew lost his mind after dirty Davison poked him. Woody decides to put him in a position where he just wasn't going to succeed. Was that Woody's way of trying to build P Stew up to get a game tying (?) bucket? The play called was atrocious and had little to do with execution.

Under 5 seconds left yesterday, do we call a timeout to get a good look? Nope, inbound to a lackadaisical X who gets off a heave. Convenient Woody doesn't have to answer questions about his play call with 5 seconds. What was the best possible outcome of not calling a timeout? Probably what we got, we didn't turn it over to lose in regulation. 

The players and coaches don't appear to be on the same page. Hell, the players don't seem to even be on the same page. We're almost done with the season and we're still struggling to cover simple ball screens or communicate a switch. I wonder why that keeps happening and how could we possibly have corrected it 20+ games ago? We have players who struggle to defend anything moving but they consistently end up defending against one of the opponents better players. How do we struggle to find a good matchup and our opponent finds one so easily in crunch time? Probably just execution....

14 hours ago, Chris007 said:

The assistants still come up with the game plan, then Woody takes that to the people he really trust the consultants and the make all final decisions. 

His program & he’s running it how he feels comfortable. Assistants still recruit 

This is not good. Its going to create a distrust of the people below him. This is the type of behavior that destroys organizations (business or otherwise.)

This info makes me a big time short seller on Woody and the Indiana program. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

The strategy of putting Parker Stewart on their best player in the 2nd half was a bold one. Didn't seem to pay off. 

Woody did the same exact thing against Wisky. Everyone in the building seen the mismatch but Woodson. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I do know that Fife said Woodson/Dolson was the first people at IU since he left to even talk to him about coming back. 

alright, Chris....here is your mission. Go barge into woodsons office and start throwing ****. demand that he start running a high school flex offense. That way, even if they get nothing done, at least they are actually MOVING on offense. 

Step 2: drink heavily to an hour and then tell us how it went. Kidding, not kidding

2 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

alright, Chris....here is your mission. Go barge into woodsons office and start throwing ****. demand that he start running a high school flex offense. That way, even if they get nothing done, at least they are actually MOVING on offense. 

Step 2: drink heavily to an hour and then tell us how it went. Kidding, not kidding

I drink heavily for two hours every game

blow this roster up. Keep a few of the freshman and sophomores and thank everyone else for their time. 
Said this after last game. Keep Bates, Geronimo, Trey and Anthony. Keep recruits and fill out roster with players that contributed to winning cultures through the portal. The rest thank you for your contributions but it's time for a reset. I would also be ok with Race and Duncomb coming back.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Said this after last game. Keep Bates, Geronimo, Trey and Anthony. Keep recruits and fill out roster with players that contributed to winning cultures through the portal. The rest thank you for your contributions but it's time for a reset. I would also be ok with Race and Duncomb coming back.

Pretty much where I am at.

19 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

If he needs help throwing potted plants, we could bring Eli Holman back.

12 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If Race wants to come back one more year I’ll gladly take him too. No one works harder then him. 

I always wondered who that dude is who sits next to Woodson during games, I know he's not an assistant coach. He always has a mask on and looks roughly the same age as Woodson.

Maybe it's standard practice for other programs to have "advisors" on staff, but it seems very odd and counterproductive.

Are they in practice? Do the players listen to them instead of actual assistant coaches? 

If I was an assistant, I'd be very frustrated. 

I'm going to weigh in with some knowledge of what matters:

All of this team's problems are fixable--nothing that a win or two won't cure. This is a team that has roster flaws, but a win against Maryland will solve a lot of natural frustrations.

That hasn't always been the case in the past (i.e., last year).