Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ O$U - 2/21/22 @ 7:00 on FS1-TV

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Is this Jim Todd? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Todd

If so, yikes.. Guy last coached in 2014 when he was one of Woody’s assistants. Wittman last coached in 2016. IU was actually a tournament team when they were still in the pros. Neither appear to have ever coached in college. Armond Hill hasn’t coached in college since 2003 when Columbia fired him for going 2-25, the worst season in school history, and 72-141.

Not even saying that those guys don’t know about basketball, but two of them never coached in college and one of them last coached in college two decades ago. Trusting them while ignoring the decades of college coaching experience on the bench (and wherever Matta lurks) is very concerning. Before the season I remember a lot of talk about how Woody doesn’t have an ego and has no problem listening to lots of people for opinions and advice. It doesn’t sound like that’s actually true.. 

Yes, that is him I believe.

Well, he listens to lots of people, just maybe not the right ones. 

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Most of the others are graduating and aren't likely to use their covid year.  TJD will be leaving.  Could very well be G league next year, but I'm not sure why people complain about guys leaving if they don't make the show right away.  There is something to be said for learning your craft playing 50/60 games with not worrying about any academics.

You know this how? 

I mean look at all the players that used their covid year this year. Players step away for a month or so after the season and then realize how much they miss it and don't have a shot in the pros. Who wouldn't want another free year in the big ten?

17 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

There was a shot of Rob, Trey, and Kristian on the bench in the second half.  Lander really looked distracted and uneasy.  IDK if that's his normal appearance but it stood out to me at the time.

Has to be tough being out injured - with something to prove - when there are a good chunk of minutes to be had due to other injuries.

Just now, IUc2016 said:

You know this how? 

I mean look at all the players that used their covid year this year. Players step away for a month or so after the season and then realize how much they miss it and don't have a shot in the pros. Who wouldn't want another free year in the big ten?

I don't know it.  It has been mentioned by people who would have some inkling of it that they feeling is most would not be back.  Have to see how it plays out.  I do think if we can find a way to make the tournament, it's more likely that some would stick around.  But if we continue to falter, if they want to take another year they might want to look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Hope he gets the help he needs.  That's the important thing right now....certainly bigger than basketball.

For sure. Just saying that doesn't help things and kinda relates to being down on the bench. He's usually pretty engaged from there.

2 minutes ago, BannerUp40 said:

Being someone very close to the program... this is frustrating

It's not looking very good next year either. 

If Woodson fails then our fan base is going to finally fully collapse. On life support right now. 

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

How bad is it when a coach states that the players are struggling to grasp the pick and roll offense? I’d say pretty bad, and don’t quite understand how it is that hard to understand! I’m pretty sure the teams I was on in school all the way back to like middle school practiced some type of pick and roll. 

I actually had to go back and read that again just to make sure.  If a bunch of college level players can't grasp the pick and roll, yikes.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I actually had to go back and read that again just to make sure.  If a bunch of college level players can't grasp the pick and roll, yikes.

That's when as a coach, you put in a new offense. You put guys in a position to succeed. I can't stand this crappy pick n roll offense. I hate it in the NBA. It's one thing when you have Stockton and Malone running it. Need player movement and ball movement. Like seriously, Woody should know this. He had to of learned something from Knight. I guarantee pick n ro wasn't it. 

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If a coach says his players don’t understand the pick and roll that’s a coach saying he’s not doing his job.  

38 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, that is him I believe.

Well, he listens to lots of people, just maybe not the right ones. 

even if woody doesn't trust fife for his recruiting blunders or whatever, how could he not listen to somebody like thad matta is beyond me. matta has had more success in the big ten than the rest of them combined. 

and why on earth would dolson and a trustee think that handpicking two different camps would be a good idea? a lot of us were excited about the fact that woodson was hired after the news that his assistants would be fife and matta, not before that. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think he is the coach in waiting. I'm not even sure he will be here next year. I think he is frustrated that his voice is not heard as much as he would like. I think that goes with Hunter also. Woody is listening to guys he's coached with for years more so than guys on his staff.

Dane made some mistakes in recruiting this summer also. It's weird because are we hearing more about this now because we've lost 5 games in a row or because coaches aren't happy talking more. 

He tried last night it looked like to get Kopp back in to guard Branham with about 3-4 minutes left but Woody was not listening to him, finally put him in with about 45 seconds to go. 

If any of this is true, we have got major problems.  Last thing we need is a staff exodus.  Woodson needs to be a team player and listen to the guys that are around to advise him  

6 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

even of woody doesn't trust fife for his recruiting blunders or whatever, how could he not listen to somebody like thad matta is beyond me. matta has had more success in the big ten than the rest of them combined. 

and why on earth would dolson and a trustee think that handpicking two different camps would be a good idea? a lot of us were excited about the fact that woodson was hired after the news that his assistants would be fife and matta, not before that. 

Matta was not hired as an assistant.  In fact, I remember his contract was to include a clause that Matta would not be involved in the day-to-day coaching nor in game-time coaching...and specifically not in active recruiting.

But, what is...ahem...interesting is that Fife is not sitting with Woody.  Maybe they didn't click.  And it is telling that Fife was announced before Woody.  Strange that.

But that is all smoke and mirrors.  This is on Woody.  Win the close ones, please.

What is March without IU in the NCAAT?  Abyss.  

Now I'm wondering if Woody will be able to close the deal with recruits.  Guess that IU will have to fine tune the $$$...

I can see the deals now:  Hey 5* recruit, we have you slated to be the spokesperson for Nick's. Big money in that.  The biggest!

/s

13 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

even if woody doesn't trust fife for his recruiting blunders or whatever, how could he not listen to somebody like thad matta is beyond me. matta has had more success in the big ten than the rest of them combined. 

No idea how true it is but would any of that shock you from an IU admin perspective?

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

No idea how true it is but would any of that shock you from an IU admin perspective?

No.  I work for a billion dollar company. I know exactly how disorganized and sloppy big business is and no I'm not shocked either from an IU perspective. 

Maybe its woodson on an ego trip that he is gonna be the guy to bring IU back without those guys, but if that is the outlook, that could end up bringing worse results than the Miller years. 

10 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Matta was not hired as an assistant.  In fact, I remember his contract was to include a clause that Matta would not be involved in the day-to-day coaching nor in game-time coaching...and specifically not in active recruiting.

But, what is...ahem...interesting is that Fife is not sitting with Woody.  Maybe they didn't click.  And it is telling that Fife was announced before Woody.  Strange that.

But that is all smoke and mirrors.  This is on Woody.  Win the close ones, please.

What is March without IU in the NCAAT?  Abyss.  

Now I'm wondering if Woody will be able to close the deal with recruits.  Guess that IU will have to fine tune the $$$...

I can see the deals now:  Hey 5* recruit, we have you slated to be the spokesperson for Nick's. Big money in that.  The biggest!

/s

While it is true that matta wasnt hired for those things, it was said on this Ohio st game board that he sits in on all meetings and gives input if asked. I'm just surprised that he isnt hardly asked for any of that input. Yeah the fife news before Woody was definitely interesting. maybe they were trying to soften the blow with all of the brad stevens news swirling around lol

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Will he? Maybe he'll seek outside council to help him. If we're waiting for the end of the season for him to learn from his mistakes I completely understand why we're not expecting improvement from the players.

Did you pay attention to the play drawn up by Woody? He's putting players in position to expose their weaknesses, our players not theirs. I would expect anyone with any basketball sense to draw up something better than that. There's a little motivation behind that, I believe. It worked against purdoodoo when we got the extra possession but has failed miserably in other situations.

And it could be just a lack of execution too!  I agree, the coach is ultimately responsible but the players have to execute too!