Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ O$U - 2/21/22 @ 7:00 on FS1-TV

41 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Told Archie to not recruit Ivey that he was a ND lock and not to recruit pack because he wasn’t good enough 

IU didn’t even offer Ivey! How on earth do you not even sniff around some of these, I’ll never know. Just malpractice. 

45 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Uh…because Knight was finally run out for “just going to the tournament.”  

I feel old reading this. Bottom line is that Davis found his level as a low major coach. He was in no way shape or form ready to be IU’s coach. 

Understatement.  Of.  The. Year.

Indiana still hasn't recovered from that stupid decision.  It's a long and linear story, but I'll die on the hill.

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sad part for IU is they are right there despite all of the shortcomings.    Wisky, Ohio St are top 18 seeds and IU was in these games until the end home and away. 

This is the part that keeps me up at night. It’s not JUST end of game execution but in several last minute losses every domino fell the wrong way. Flip like three 50/50 plays all year and I wouldn’t be losing sleep

53 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Because we were racist and didn’t like a black coach taking over for Knight. The letters & emails he received was embarrassing.

"We" was the southern IN IU fans, not alumni (generally speaking); as far as I know and I think it's probably "generally" accurate.    Embarrassing is being kind, however.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Because we were racist and didn’t like a black coach taking over for Knight. The letters & emails he received was embarrassing.

I was never more ashamed as an IU fan than I was the day I went to an IU basketball game and "the blackout" was staged on national television. Shocking brazen wink/wink 'know nothing' move. I felt the sensation of impending doom, and an eerie vertigo like falling endlessly the whole game. I don't ever want to feel that feeling again. Just being in the building when that happened made me feel like an accomplice even though my conscience is clean. It made me feel guilty just by association, and I felt obligated to point out that "the blackout" was a dark moment in Indiana basketball history.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Says the guy that understood what this team was after me.  As I recall you were insulting me for predicting what we are seeing two weeks ago. 

If Race was staying I might think we could do better without Trayce. But without either yeah next year is going to be tough 

This team without TJD will be better.  Don’t be fooled by the dunks and the beating on his own chest.  He’s not bad at putting up a lot of empty numbers if that’s your thing.

I will take Race back though.

3 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

This is when I turned it off. If they don't care why should we as fans? It's not cheap to attend a game at Assembly Hall....again, this is what losing programs do. Imagine if a player did that with Knight, Keady, Izzo, Coach K....I've also said this before. Trayce is our Dak Prescott (I'm a Cowboys fan). He dominates against weaker competition but struggles against even matchups. Good luck to him in the future but I don't see him having a long NBA career unless he improves.  

What NBA career?

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I’ll give you lack of effort and the branch is a good motivator, but who you going to put in if someone’s dogging it?  

As for execution, that’s on the player.  You either have it or you don’t.  We don’t right now.  

Eventually everything falls on the coach.  It goes along with the territory and fat check.

4 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

This team without TJD will be better.  Don’t be fooled by the dunks and the beating on his own chest.  He’s not bad at putting up a lot of empty numbers if that’s your thing.

I will take Race back though.

Him only being good against bad teams is not the same as us being better without him.  That just means we won’t be getting his double double against minny and probably be losing to them also as well as against the good teams

8 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I was a kid when Davis was our coach but I remember asking my dad why Indiana was going to part ways with him. They just went to the tournament and had some momentum. Sampson didn't bring in all those kids he won with either. It was Mike Davis. I felt IU should've gave him another few years. 

Yikes.  No thanks, Mike was not a successful coach anywhere he went.  He was way over his head

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Stop it.  Please stop it.  Please.  This is not why he was fired.  Stop.

8 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I was a kid when Davis was our coach but I remember asking my dad why Indiana was going to part ways with him. They just went to the tournament and had some momentum. Sampson didn't bring in all those kids he won with either. It was Mike Davis. I felt IU should've gave him another few years. 

I was a kid too. His last season I was in 6th grade. But I had a feeling back then. I knew we weren't good. Definitely not good enough. There was never really any real momentum at any point under Davis. He had some players I liked and a few games I remember, but that experiment lasted way too long. Davis really would have only lasted a season before hiring a big name coach. Honestly should have went after Pitino at that point. That should have been really clear. Instead he goes to UofL and does great there. I always thought in a perfect world, Bob Knight would have retired after the 1993 season and Indiana hired Coach K. But we instead live in the world of Indiana being a dumpster fire. 

11 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Letting your guy go backdoor for a and-1 opportunity or forcing your teammates to overhelp would classify as impacting the team negatively. But we're severely lacking at guard and the wing so there's really no good option

And yet many on here want CMW fired already and some have felt the Administration made a mistake firing Sampscum.

The roster is flawed and that proved obvious down the stretch with a 4 point lead and we had 3 positions in a row where we could have extended the lead to 6 or 7 around a minute to go, instead we tried to force feed TJD and that didn’t turn out well.  The biggest boneheaded feed was the obvious feed from the top of the key by Race and that was not ever going to work.  

instead, we needed someone who can create their own shot like Davis on Wisconsin and we don’t have that

Couple things I noticed last night. Parker Stewart needs to be more aggressive offensively driving the ball. He did it a few times in the first half and he was getting good shots or a pass to TJD. Would like to see Leal more. The offense just looks better with him out there. He moves without the ball and makes quick decisions. Two things the offense desperately lacks. 

9 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We were up in OT and end up losing by double digits.  Way to go.  Don't be surprised when this team loses out and misses the tournament.

I’m expecting it.  We have to win the next 3.  What kills me is we played two very good ranked teams good enough to win and had the lead late but could not close it out.  TJD is a very good complimentary piece but this team lacks a go to guy on the wing who can create his own shot when things break down 

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Our roster has flaws and our coaching staff exacerbates those flaws. 

Perhaps.  He is new to coaching CBB and I am sure he be the first to tell you that he still has a lot to learn about the College game and I expect he, his staff and Thad Matta will all sit down after the season and discuss those very issues.

The team had a chance to beat two very good ranked teams but no matter what the plan was down the stretch that the coaches laid out, the players failed to execute.