Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ O$U - 2/21/22 @ 7:00 on FS1-TV

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Gotta win that one in regulation.

I think XJ has faced some unfair criticism this year but the last two possessions of regulation his choices cost them a chance. On D he fell asleep as his man rotated to the top of the key. Race saw it, rotated up to help (leaving his man open for 2 as opposed to a potential game winner). Dunk.

Then he…walked the ball up and heaved a 3?!?!?! In a tie game with five seconds left? I can’t see straight. You practice special situations like that from middle school up. Even if they hadn’t discussed it with a minute left, inexcusable. It made no sense

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You watched Sampson. He’s no different than Woodson—good defense, mind numbing awful offense. He recruits athletes though. 

Sampson has made the tourney with multiple teams as a coach. Do not compare Woodson as a coach to him.  

Woody consistently makes bone head decisions in crunch time. 

He isn't the guy and we all know it but they'll give him 3 years.

Sad thing is we will just go hire Fife and the cycle will repeat.

10 million dollar buyout for this... Pathetic

Pretty sad Trayce in year 3 still cant use his right hand or hit an 18 footer.

Edited by KYHoosier

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sampson is a phenomenal coach. I wholeheartedly believe we’d have another banner here if we had kept him. But, the administration didn’t like how he did things, and we’ve had over a decade of mediocrity since then. 

He’s been to one FF where he got worked by Mike Davis. He has less success in the NBA than Woody. 

If that’s your idea of phenomenal, then ok. 

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

Guard play. We saw glimpses of what we can do with some decent perimeter play but our guards just aren’t good enough to win in this league. Our guys can’t score in crunch time or get a stop.

It really does come back to perimeter play, everyone out there is either fatally flawed, one dimensional, and/or too green to be relied upon. And there’s no Liddellesque inside out threat among the forwards

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Lol…. So good when they played real competition in the tourney they averaged about 63pts a game including a whopping 59 in their loss to Baylor. He’s not a good offensive coach unless you love 1 on 1 pg play. 

I'm talking about the teams he had at IU!

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yup. He needed to strike gold quickly at his age and lack of experience.

Recruits will care less and less about him having coached in the NBA when they Know he doesn’t win at the college level. And boom, momentum will be gone. Heck, recruiting hasn’t been that great anyway. He gets 3 years no matter what, unless he gets sick of it all.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

There’s recruits out there that probably don’t know Woodson was an NBA head coach in 2013. LOL

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

I think XJ has faced some unfair criticism this year but the last two possessions of regulation his choices cost them a chance. On D he fell asleep as his man rotated to the top of the key. Race saw it, rotated up to help (leaving his man open for 2 as opposed to a potential game winner). Dunk.

Then he…walked the ball up and heaved a 3?!?!?! In a tie game with five seconds left? I can’t see straight. You practice special situations like that from middle school up. Even if they hadn’t discussed it with a minute left, inexcusable. It made no sense

The worst two plays at the end of regulation were on our best two guys.  Race with that God awful feed to TJD.  Then TJD followed it up by falling asleep on d and allowing the wide open dunk

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Recruits will care less and less about him having coached in the NBA when they Know he doesn’t win at the college level. And boom, momentum will be gone. Heck, recruiting hasn’t been that great anyway. He gets 3 years no matter what, unless he gets sick of it all.

THAT is my fear.  If we lose out on some guys like Miro Little, it will mean the opportunity was squandered.  I blame much of our plight on CAM's awful recruiting and roster makeup.  Woodson has a couple of very promising recruits signed but his initial foray in the portal has been a turd, IMO.

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Then he…walked the ball up and heaved a 3?!?!?! In a tie game with five seconds left? I can’t see straight. 

That was bizarre. I was yelling at the tv. Couldn’t believe how slowly he brought the ball up.

1 minute ago, KYHoosier said:

Woody consistently makes bone head decisions in crunch time. 

He isn't the guy and we all know it but they'll give him 3 years.

Sad thing is we will just go fire Fife and the cycle will repeat.

10 million dollar buyout for this... Pathetic

Pretty sad Trayce in year 3 still cant use his right hand or hit an 18 footer.

See below.  Players have to execute and they did not.  You can blame the coach but some of it has to go on the players.  

Just now, pumpfake said:

THAT is my fear.  If we lose out on some guys like Miro Little, it will mean the opportunity was squandered.  I blame much of our plight on CAM's awful recruiting and roster makeup.  Woodson has a couple of very promising recruits signed but his initial foray in the portal has been a turd, IMO.

Not just the portal. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He has to make a huge splash in the portal this year or it’s over for him before it started. You can just feel the lack of energy around the program. There’s something heavy hanging over us and I can’t figure out what it is. 

3 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

The worst two plays at the end of regulation were on our best two guys.  Race with that God awful feed to TJD.  Then TJD followed it up by falling asleep on d and allowing the wide open dunk

I’ve only seen the replay once (plus watching it live), but Race was on Liddell, saw X fell asleep as X's man drifted up to the 3-pt line, and started towards him to prevent a game-winner. That left Liddell open, not anything TJD did/didn’t do

12 minutes ago, Trish said:

If Woodson can’t get it done then it’s going to take a Brad Stevens hire to even get the alumni to support. Indiana Basketball is on life support. 

Maybe Woody can lead the boys the the first ever tournament championship? 

The time for that hire was last spring when alumni bought Archie out under the impression they had a chance at Stevens. It’s over for IU. Has been for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

See below.  Players have to execute and they did not.  You can blame the coach but some of it has to go on the players.  

I agree with that. I do think with 5 sec like that you try and get to half court and get a TO.  

Letting XJ go is just settling for an XJ shot which is not ideal.