Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoops1

(2022) PG Adou Thiero to Kentucky

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I don’t have Hood Shifino’s numbers this year, but he was at 45% from deep as a freshman and the 5 games that Monteverde entered team stats for him as a sophomore he was at 52%.  I don’t have Kaleb Banjs senior numbers but he was 40 of 105 last year (38%).  Not finding stats on others.

I'll respond but let's not wander too far into talking about JHS and KB as this is Thiero's thread.

I've found shooting stats for 18 of Jalen's 25 games this past season.   42% FG   25% on 3s    68% FT

For his junior season, Fayette County posted Banks' stats on MaxPreps.  This year they did not so no idea what kind of shooting % he has this season.  I was able to watch a few of Kaleb's games and I don't recall him as a high volume 3-point shooter.  He tended to get his points via dribble drives, rebound buckets or 10-15' jump shots.

11 hours ago, Demo said:

Where did you see someone projecting him to 6’10”? I’ve not seen that and if it’s true it really changes how you look at him.

"Has gone from 6-1 to 6-3 recently, and says his doctor projects 6-10. Dad is 6-9 & mom is 6-3. @Adou2022 @prospectsbballpost-gazette."

and he's gotten to 6'6" since this write up.

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I wasn’t trying to say he wasn’t a D 1 player.  I was saying the growth spurt has helped fuel teams desires to give him a look.

Sorry, thought you were seeing 6'1" on maxpreps profile and commenting on that as a current height.

16 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I don’t have Hood Shifino’s numbers this year, but he was at 45% from deep as a freshman and the 5 games that Monteverde entered team stats for him as a sophomore he was at 52%.  I don’t have Kaleb Banks senior numbers but he was 40 of 105 last year (38%).  Not finding stats on others.

Cupps 47.2% on 89 shots.

My apologies Old Fart

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

God I love when you make comps to my favorite players on the planet.  

It’s a really obvious comp. Thiero looks a ton like him. 

10 minutes ago, Leo said:

25 points, 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks today in a playoff game…with a fractured growth plate in his hand.
Pitt’s Jeff Capel in attendance.

He also played with a brace on his thumb.  This was a post-game tweet from Mike White of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:  Adou Thiero's stock with colleges has been on the rise lately. Indiana Hoosiers very interested. And Pitt showing more interest. Jeff Capel waited for Adou outside Quaker Valley locker room after today's game and invited him to Pitt game Tuesday.

15 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He also played with a brace on his thumb.  This was a post-game tweet from Mike White of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:  Adou Thiero's stock with colleges has been on the rise lately. Indiana Hoosiers very interested. And Pitt showing more interest. Jeff Capel waited for Adou outside Quaker Valley locker room after today's game and invited him to Pitt game Tuesday.

Can’t imagine Thiero would have any interest in that Pitt dumpster fire unless he’s just committed to staying home. They’re terrible. They’ve been terrible for years. Capel hasn’t had a winning season there, and this one’s his worst yet. They don’t have a single ‘22 commit. The only thing that’s gonna save Capel for 1 more year is his insane 15 mil buyout courtesy of an incomprensible extension they gave him after his 2nd losing season. 

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette -

For a half, one of the best scoring duos in WPIAL history was anything but.

Quaker Valley’s Adou Thiero and Markus Frank were a combined 3 for 15 from the field in the first two quarters, their team struggled and trailed by a point at halftime of Thursday’s WPIAL Class 4A championship game.

Then the second half came and Thiero and Frank were back to their old selves.

The two 6-foot-5 seniors took over the game in the last two quarters and led top-seeded Quaker Valley to a 61-52 victory against second-seeded Montour at Petersen Events Center. The win enabled Quaker Valley (23-0) to become only the 24th team since 1940 to win a WPIAL title with an undefeated record.

Quaker Valley scored 42 points in the second half and Thiero and Frank had 40 of them. Thiero scored 22 of his game-high 31 points in the final two quarters, to go along with 17 rebounds and seven blocked shots. This from a player who sustained a broken growth plate in his right thumb a little more than a week ago. For the second game in a row, Thiero wore a brace on the thumb of his shooting hand.

But Thiero did just about everything in the second half, torturing Montour (20-5) with his drives, rebounding, passing and blocked shots. Frank rode right alongside Thiero, going 6 for 6 from the field in the third quarter. He finished with 23 points, 18 in the second half.

During the regular season, Frank and Thiero were the first players in the WPIAL since 1980 to both average 24 points or more.

“We just give each other that look and we know what we’re supposed to do,” said Thiero, who averages 24 points a game. “That’s what we did tonight.”

Quaker Valley outscored Montour, 21-13, in the third quarter and Thiero and Frank (28 ppg) scored all of the Quakers’ points. They sped up the pace after the Quakers were held to 19 points in the first half. This from a team that came in averaging 73 points.

“I think it was just us coming here and being a little nervous in this big place,” Thiero said.

Quaker Valley coach Mike Mastroianni thought it was more Montour’s defense that had to do with Quaker Valley’s first-half struggles.

“For as bad as we played in the first half, we felt we were in pretty good shape,” said Mastroianni, whose team defeated Montour for the third time this season.

“Montour knows us very well. They’re the best defensive team we’ve played all year. They’re so good defensively. It’s a scrum playing them. Look at the scores. Our two lowest scores were against them. We knew it was going to be a battle.”

A number of times in the second half, Thiero grabbed defensive rebounds and made outlet passes to Frank streaking down the court for a layup. Quaker Valley took a 40-33 lead into the fourth quarter, but Montour came back behind the play of senior guard-forward Vason Stephenson, whose three-point play with 3:47 remaining tied the game, 48-48. Stevenson was impressive, making 11 of 16 shots and finishing with 23 points and eight rebounds.

The last tie of the game was 50-50, but Thiero made 7 of 8 free throws in the final minute and also blocked a shot to help Quaker Valley pull away and win only the second title in school history.

Much of the first half was played at a snail’s pace and the shooting was certainly lackluster. Quaker Valley shot only 29% (5 of 17) in the first half while Montour was just a tad better at 31% (8 of 26). Quaker Valley scored only six points in the first quarter and trailed by 10-6. After taking a 14-8 lead in the second quarter, Montour went scoreless for more than four minutes and fell behind, 17-14. But Montour came back and took a 20-19 lead to the locker room at halftime.

But the second half was a different story.

“The reason we are where we are is because the locker room is so calm,” Mastroianni said. “At halftime, Adou was talking, Jack Gardinier was talking. Adou’s voice is heard pretty well. He just said, ‘We gotta go.’ When your team is player-driven like that, you know it’s a special year.”

Extract from another story -

Adou Thiero endured the pain of a fractured thumb to avoid the hurt of another silver medal. The Quaker Valley senior made eight free throws in the final 72 seconds and delivered a key late-game block, finishing touches on his dominant double-double as the top-seeded Quakers defeated No. 2 Montour, 61-52, Thursday night in the WPIAL Class 4A final at Petersen Events Center.