Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - 02/08/22 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

11 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Of course, which is why I said they need to get to proving it right then and there. And to be clear, I don't think anybody needs to address anything publicly. But within the locker room I would think something needs to be said. It's certainly admirable for their actions to speak louder than their words, but it sure would seem weird to me if I was one of the guys who played last night to not hear any acknowledgement of and apology for screwing up from those 5 teammates. And if I were one of the 5, I'd want to vocally own it and apologize (though a key part of my message would be to make it known that my actions will be speaking louder than these words). Maybe that's just me. 

We're 3/4 of the way through the season. If teammates are having to prove each other at this point of the season something isn't right, which wouldn't be that surprising. You should know your teammates before you jump in the trenches. We had more practices and a summer trip to learn this stuff. Do you think it came as a surprise to the team that these players have had off court issues? Do you think this was just a one off thing that happened? I would certainly hope that the players know things about their teammates on/off the court, who you can trust and who you can rely on. I don't think an apology changes anything in and of itself. Hell, I don't even think a few hard practices, at this point, would do much. Consistent effort on/off the court to build trust would go a long way.

What's really disappointing to me about the suspensions is that 3 of them are 22 years or older. Two of those older players are also starters with one being a point guard. In other words, they're certainly old enough to be mature and know better. They're also supposed to be leaders, especially Johnson. 

Lander is young but is in his second season. Another point guard who makes bad decisions and fails to show leadership. 

If the freakin' players don't take the season seriously, why should the fans? They cost the team a winnable road game.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

A tweet from one of ones I'm hoping will rise and re-assess. I may be in the minority, but I find myself really rooting for X:

Honestly, I'm not sure if that's a good thing he's on twitter talking about it. This tweet might be more for his brothers that battled last night? If so, there's no need to say it on twitter when you can literally say it in the locker room and prove it by your actions. And if it isn't, then it's really not important for us to even know this in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm looking forward to see how the team responds the next few games. 

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

What's really disappointing to me about the suspensions is that 3 of them are 22 years or older. Two of those older players are also starters with one being a point guard. In other words, they're certainly old enough to be mature and know better. They're also supposed to be leaders, especially Johnson. 

Lander is young but is in his second season. Another point guard who makes bad decisions and fails to show leadership. 

If the freakin' players don't take the season seriously, why should the fans? They cost the team a winnable road game.

I thought Johnson had been doing some good things on the court and progressing a bit as a leader. I haven't questioned his e and e, except for the direction of it on several occasions. It's too bad that his e and e wasn't molded over the summer to bring some of his teammates along in a positive way as this team could really have benefited from it. I guess we can be happy we're bubbling our way to the tourney this season and hope next year is better.

19 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

And it could be more than that, we’ll just have to wait and see what the fallout is going to be.

12 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if that's a good thing he's on twitter talking about it. This tweet might be more for the his brothers that battled last night? If so, there's no need to say it on twitter when you can literally say it in the locker room and prove it by your actions. And if it isn't, then it's really not important for us to even know this in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm looking forward to see how the team responds the next few games. 

We have a culture of talking. This fits our culture to a T. We should probably focus our efforts on actually doing rather than talking about doing. Aligns with our culture and recent history of development too.

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm going to bump my post from last night with this article from Rick Bozich:

BOZICH | Woodson shows building IU culture more than news conference fluff

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Mike Woodson made a move Tuesday night that could cost Indiana a spot in the 2022 men’s basketball NCAA Tournament. He held five players, including two starters, out of the most winnable road game remaining on the IU schedule. The Hoosiers, predictably, faded in the second half and lost to Northwestern, 59-51, in Evanston, Illinois.

It was not an insignificant decision. But it was the correct decision. In fact, it was the defining decision of Woodson’s nearly 11-month run as the IU coach — bigger than selecting his starting lineups, bigger than choosing his assistant coaches and bigger than deciding how Indiana will employ or defend the three-point shot.

This was a move to demonstrate that a culture of accountability will matter inside the Indiana program. This was a move that will also test how the five suspended players respond to a taste of being publicly disciplined. Culture is an overused word coaches repeat at introductory press conferences and then stuff into their third desk drawer once the games start coming multiple times a week.

Woodson did not do that. How could he, considering his background as a four-year player under Bob Knight at Indiana?

In Woodson’s third season as an IU player, the Hoosiers opened by losing two of three games at a tournament in Alaska. In early December 1978, several days after Indiana returned from that trip, Knight learned that seven players smoked marijuana. Woodson was one of those players. Knight discussed the incident in the autobiography he wrote with Bob Hammel:

“I don’t know how much it had been used before. I don’t know how much losing those games had to do with it, or how much using it had to do with losing those games. But in Alaska, somebody got some marijuana and one night seven of our players sat around a room smoking it." “In some cases, at least according to them, that was the only time it ever happened. And there were some awfully good kids involved, some of the best kids I’ve ever had. There’s no player that I’ve ever had that I liked or enjoyed more than Mike Woodson, and he was involved. That was very tough to handle.”

Knight handled it by dismissing three players from the program and putting the others (including Woodson) on probation. IU finished the season 22-12. It was a different time. Only 40 teams — not 68 — made the NCAA Tournament, just two from the Big Ten. IU won the National Invitation Tournament. Did he cost his team a spot in the tournament that mattered? Maybe.

On Tuesday at Northwestern, Woodson handled it by sitting five guys for 40 minutes in a game that Indiana needed to win.

It drew the applause from the parent of at least one Indiana recruit: Indianapolis guard C.J. Gunn.

“I’m building a culture here,” Woodson said after the game. “I’m not here to mess around with guys who don’t want to do what’s asked of them. And if they don’t, they gotta go.” Gotta go. You don’t hear those two words much during these days of empowered players. Not with an exciting, ego-stroking trip into the transfer portal one click of the mouse away.

With Name/Image/Likeness rewards flowing and the one-season-on-the-sidelines requirement waived by the NCAA, the power dynamic between coaches and players has shifted. Woodson knows that. He also knows that Indiana plays its next three games against top-25 teams: No. 17 Michigan State No. 14 Wisconsin and No. 16 Ohio State. Only the Wisconsin game is booked for Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers (16-7) could easily lose all three, stretching their current losing streak to five games. That would push Indiana into a position of genuine vulnerability to miss the NCAA Tournament — again. That would create standing room only crowds inside IU fans' Panic Rooms. Did not matter.

Starting point guard Xavier Johnson and Parker Stewart had to sit for undisclosed disciplinary reasons. So did Khristian Lander, the only other healthy point guard on the IU roster. Ditto for freshman Tamar Bates and center Michael Durr. Without sufficient substitutes, the Hoosiers were outscored 31-16 over the final 17 1/2 minutes.

“You've got to do all the necessary things to win on and off the floor," Woodson said. "It doesn't start on the floor. You've got to do all the necessary things off the floor as well." "We have rules. When you disobey those rules, things have got to happen.”

Once upon a time, Indiana had a coach who did not value those things. His name was Kelvin Sampson. In 2007 and 2008, Sampson helped to drive the Indiana basketball program into a ditch from which it has never completely recovered. In addition to NCAA rules that Sampson broke at IU, there was a culture of no accountability that took Tom Crean three miserable seasons to fix. Sampson moved to the NBA and now to the University of Houston. Sampson’s team made the Final Four last season and might make it again this season. There are people slapping Sampson on the back and telling him that he belongs in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Those are people who don’t care about the nonsense that went on inside his basketball program at Indiana. That is not the way Woodson will build his program at Indiana. He proved Tuesday night at Northwestern that his promise to build a culture at Indiana was not an empty string of words uttered at an introductory press conference.

Thumbs up!!!!

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We have a culture of talking. This fits our culture to a T. We should probably focus our efforts on actually doing rather than talking about doing. Aligns with our culture and recent history of development too.

Sitting players isn't talking.  It's doing.

Day of dentistry near completion.  This one still stings because of how important that game was.  WE ALL want the same thing.  To be good.  To be respected.  EVERYONE.  Fans, Coaches, Players (most of them/all of them), even the administration to an extent based on the Archie firing.

My IU season over the past 5 plus years.

1) excitement and hope

2) we don't look as good as i'd hope but we are mostly winning

3) same- My expectations slide

4) same- My expectations slide more and some frustration sets in

5) Wheels start coming off, I start fast forwarding games when we are down

6) I start looking at the bubble and remaining games (I'm Here now)

7) Now lets have a different ending this season and make the best of a marginally talented roster and at the very least make the tournament for the love of everything..............

8) Offseason: Find a really talented and dominant big either offensively or defensively........Find shot and playmakers....... REVAMP the offense entirely........Good Luck

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

17 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Sitting players isn't talking.  It's doing.

X talking, seems to align with TJD talking after the first PSU game about how they need to play with e and listen to the coach. Hopefully, coach wasn't telling them to get in trouble. At least this gives us ANOTHER opportunity to see if we actually respond or if it's just talk again. 1 for 20 isn't just the shooting percentage for some of our players but it will finally be the time we backup the talk too!