Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - 02/08/22 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

42 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Man, I was hoping this place was better this morning but it's not. Negative posters just dominate the threads. So proud of the guys who played their a$$ off last night. Man, that had to be tough finding out at the morning shootaround you were rolling with mainly 6 guys.

So proud of Woody for creating the culture that is needed moving forward and has been missing for a long time. Funny how people would say why don't Archie bench Justin Smith or Devonte Green? Mike Woodson does it and it's why is he costing us a game. Hopefully, it's not a black/white thing and just a don't know much about basketball thing. 

Anyway, I was really surprised by how much support some posters get for their takes. They show up in droves when IU loses. When Fife told me about IU fans I laughed, but now I see what he is talking about. They complain we lost, then they say why didn't we play Logan. Always want it both ways. Some people are never happy and don't want others happy. Back to IU, don't care what happens the rest of the season proud of how this was handled.

I also don't think TJD is all-Big Ten, he just can't dominate at this level. 4-13 shooting? Terrible free throws, just disappointed in his progression, probably Woodson's fault. Anyway till next time BTB. Peace out

The fans always get the blame.  It’s the Indiana way lately.  There is no great solution except for being a winning program that makes the tournament almost every year and the occasional deep run.  Maybe it’s an effect where to environment is untenable.  The coach the pulls this off will be So very revered and loved.  I’m sure 20 years of mostly failure has created a pressure cooker environment.  I think if Brad Stevens got hired he’d be given the 3-4 years type thing.  But because of age IMO, woody has a shorter time line to get things rolling.  Probably unfair.  Instant gratification society.  Gotta produce a winner this year or next or it’s over IMO.  

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

P Stew is the only player who makes anything from outside, somewhat consistently. Big 1.o coaches are typically rather bright and scout the hell out of their opponents. If this is the final straw for P Stew we'll have to rely on not good at shooting players to have miraculous games if/when they get a chance to shoot or have Trayce and Race taking on 8 defenders in the paint. I'm not confident we'll be able to scheme our way out of that based on the evidence that has been provided for 3/4 of the season. (I know this makes me a negative poster and not a fan to some)

This comment isn't one that people are going to right off as just being from a negative poster.

Stewart definitely is the guy most likely to knock down a three.  But if he's not willing to assert himself, it's pretty pointless.  He hasn't been in double figures since January 13th.  He's only taken 10 shots in a game once all year and only taken more than 7 one other time.  He's not a great passer, he's not a great defender, so when he passes up open looks, he doesn't help us one bit.  

The most telling stat on Stewart IMO isn't even his perimeter shooting.  It's the fact that he has exactly two layups all year.  There is no aggressiveness or killer instinct at all.

I'm glad that Woody is instilling discipline and letting them know it won't be tolerated. I hope the rest of the team let's them know about it too. Hopefully they learn from it.

Having said that, I'm glad no one was around to discipline me every time I did something stupid when I was their age! 

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

BTW, I know I hate the 'e' word......but when the team had discussed it specifically pertaining to road games, it's obvious that some didn't take it to heart.  Effort is hard to have when you aren't even focused on doing the things you need to do to be prepared for the game.

When it's obvious enough that players are talking about it and you still get the same results that screams to leadership issues. Are leaders created when you're only winning or does having leaders lead result in winning? (Rhetorical question) You can look back at the handful of successful IU teams in the past two decades to see when we had actual players leading and when we had players talking about leading. Now, look at this season and decide which category the team fits into. You might even see the reasons, not excuses, why we dropped some of those games we probably shouldn't have lost. Yes, it's sports and you win/lose some you shouldn't. If we remove our crimson colored glasses (yes, that includes the non-IU fans like myself) you can see these issues didn't just magically appear overnight.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

The most telling stat on Stewart IMO isn't even his perimeter shooting.  It's the fact that he has exactly two layups all year.  There is no aggressiveness or killer instinct at all.

The most telling stat on Stewart is his complete lack of intensity and support on the bench during the game last night.

I know he's had an impossibly tough year, but that is not license to harm the team's culture.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

The most telling stat on Stewart is his complete lack of intensity and support on the bench during the game last night.

I know he's had an impossibly tough year, but that is not license to harm the team's culture.

Honestly, for most of the year, he's had the look that he would rather be anywhere but on a basketball court.  Could be just the look he has and don't want to read into it, but he simply might be a guy that has played all his life and is only playing now because that's what he's always done.  Sometimes people's MO change when they lose someone close, like he did with his father.  But the reality is that you have two choices if that is the case:  change your attitude or get gone.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If memory serves, he also pouted when he was benched for the first half of the Northern Kentucky game. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

When it's obvious enough that players are talking about it and you still get the same results that screams to leadership issues. Are leaders created when you're only winning or does having leaders lead result in winning? (Rhetorical question) You can look back at the handful of successful IU teams in the past two decades to see when we had actual players leading and when we had players talking about leading. Now, look at this season and decide which category the team fits into. You might even see the reasons, not excuses, why we dropped some of those games we probably shouldn't have lost. Yes, it's sports and you win/lose some you shouldn't. If we remove our crimson colored glasses (yes, that includes the non-IU fans like myself) you can see these issues didn't just magically appear overnight.

They didn't just magically appear and won't magically disappear.  Also have to accept that guys you get in the transfer portal quite often are leaving their old teams in a decision that both the player and the old team feel is best.

53 minutes ago, Jim IV22 said:

I never post on here, but I stand with Woody on his decision. Just saw on Twitter that Gunn's mom stands with him too. 

The Gunn family is excellent. Even saw dad going after Doyel on Twitter the other day. Another check in the excellent column from me!

Ok, I am simmering down a little. One thing that keeps popping up in my mind is that I hope the stupidity of the 5 yesterday does not create resentment. The guys that played their a$$ off last night took a beating with the amount of minutes especially Trey, Race, and TJD. Trey was visibly upset at the end of the game, there is a photo of TJD after the game sitting on the bench by himself with his head in his hands, and at one point during the game Kopp was walking to the bench at a timeout screaming at what looked like one of the 5. To go through that game, lose, and then go home to what I would expect to be a hell practice, it could go bad. I really hope it doesn't!

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

This comment isn't one that people are going to right off as just being from a negative poster.

Stewart definitely is the guy most likely to knock down a three.  But if he's not willing to assert himself, it's pretty pointless.  He hasn't been in double figures since January 13th.  He's only taken 10 shots in a game once all year and only taken more than 7 one other time.  He's not a great passer, he's not a great defender, so when he passes up open looks, he doesn't help us one bit.  

It's a message board where we come to post about our favorite team, have a little fun. I think people get too caught up in themselves to have a little fun. I hope people don't write it off. I wouldn't expect them to forget about it. Most of my posts are things I see (obvi from a non-coaches perspective) that I truly wish weren't there. I'm fine with people coming at me and hope that more will because our program finally turned the corner.

P Stew is a shooter that actually makes. We should be running more stuff for him that counters our possibly only strength (TJD which has been questionable lately) and playing out of that. We're in 2022 with a team that would be solid in 1982. There isn't a reason for P Stew to be driving when it's not his game. He should be put in a position to counter what they're trying to take away from us in the lane.

Kopp is trying to do things that he's just not skilled enough to do. Kopp has many goose eggs points as he does double figure scoring games, three. All of those double figuring scoring games came in the noncon too. When he takes a few dribbles and shoots inside the arc is basically a turnover more often than not. It does nothing for our spacing to relieve pressure on the interior and plays right into the opposing teams game plan.

The fact we're discussing who is not as turrble as the other speaks volumes to those two we hyped up over the summer. Neither can defend or rebound at a Big 1.o level, that's not a secret.

12 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Ok, I am simmering down a little. One thing that keeps popping up in my mind is that I hope the stupidity of the 5 yesterday does not create resentment. The guys that played their a$$ off last night took a beating with the amount of minutes especially Trey, Race, and TJD. Trey was visibly upset at the end of the game, there is a photo of TJD after the game sitting on the bench by himself with his head in his hands, and at one point during the game Kopp was walking to the bench at a timeout screaming at what looked like one of the 5. To go through that game, lose, and then go home to what I would expect to be a hell practice, it could go bad. I really hope it doesn't!

Come on, let's keep this in perspective. Those three played 8 to 15ish more minutes of BASKETBALL than they typically do in a game. I'm sure many would prefer to play more minutes than they have been most of the season. (Although that might not be true of all of them) Those 5 ****ed up and should have the rest of the team pissed at them for possibly costing them a game they could have won. I guess it's good show to do those things during a game but where was it in the off-season when they made all that progress? Where was it in dragging their teammates in to develop when the cameras and social media wasn't there? Why are other programs successful in getting the most out of their players and developing them while we continue to hype up all the development but don't actually see it?

We have yet ANOTHER opportunity to learn from that could propel the team forward. Will we actually seize it or will we wait for the next incident to talk about how it'll make us better?

22 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

They didn't just magically appear and won't magically disappear.  Also have to accept that guys you get in the transfer portal quite often are leaving their old teams in a decision that both the player and the old team feel is best.

There are several transfers that are doing extremely well for their teams. I guess the ones we wanted and landed straightaway were just the bad ones that we over hyped. The problems have been with the program for far longer than Woody has been back in Btown but we still don't want to recognize them. We want excuse them and blame anything and everything other than fixing the actual problem.

darts-hit.gif

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Come on, let's keep this in perspective. Those three played 8 to 15ish more minutes of BASKETBALL than they typically do in a game. I'm sure many would prefer to play more minutes than they have been most of the season. (Although that might not be true of all of them) Those 5 ****ed up and should have the rest of the team pissed at them for possibly costing them a game they could have won. I guess it's good show to do those things during a game but where was it in the off-season when they made all that progress? Where was it in dragging their teammates in to develop when the cameras and social media wasn't there? Why are other programs successful in getting the most out of their players and developing them while we continue to hype up all the development but don't actually see it?

We have yet ANOTHER opportunity to learn from that could propel the team forward. Will we actually seize it or will we wait for the next incident to talk about how it'll make us better?

I wasn't trying to go outside perspective, I was just stating that I hope that it doesn't drive a wedge between them. We do not need any more mental challenges this season. Do I hope that is angered some to make them hold others accountable and embarrass the 5 into not being stupid for the rest of the season, absolutely! Like I said it was just a thought that keeps coming up.

Just now, reconmkd said:

I wasn't trying to go outside perspective, I was just stating that I hope that it doesn't drive a wedge between them. We do not need any more mental challenges this season. Do I hope that is angered some to make them hold others accountable and embarrass the 5 into not being stupid for the rest of the season, absolutely! Like I said it was just a thought that keeps coming up.

Yeah, my question is did the other players know that the 5 snuck out of their hotel? If so did they confront them? Did they really think that 5 of them go missing, that no one would notice? How do you welcome them back? In 1978 the season was not the same from Thanksgiving on when Butch Carter ratted out the 7 players in Alaska. There were trust issues the rest of the season. 

34 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

2 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

This was a Big 1.o game so tackling was allowed but I didn't see one IU player taking a beating. I don't think the dozen or so extra minutes were some heroic effort. The 8-15 minutes from this game won't have an affect on them SATURDAY when taking on MSU.

I do hope that ALL players (the knuckleheads and the ones having to pick up their slack) learn from this and it makes them a more unified team moving forward. I have my doubts with all of the other "opportunities" they've created for themselves that could have done the same. Only time will tell.

One minor observation, and forgive me for being "that guy", but I think it says something about Nathan Childress that, even with seven players, he barely got any time.  I know he's the textbook definition of "benchwarmer" and he's not any good (this year, he finally made a basket!), but I thought he would get a few minutes in the rotation to avoid tiring out the remaining players Woodson had on hand.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is not your parents Northwestern team. They have a couple of 4* players (Nance and some other) and a handful of 3* players too! It was a Big 1.o game on the road so that's difficult. We'll get them in the BTT when we have all of our knucklehead players! We're going dancing in the big one this season, no need to worry.

I know they're good, I just am so accustomed to Northwestern being, you know... Northwestern.

Hopefully the boys have learned their lesson.