Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - 02/08/22 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Man, I was hoping this place was better this morning but it's not. Negative posters just dominate the threads. So proud of the guys who played their a$$ off last night. Man, that had to be tough finding out at the morning shootaround you were rolling with mainly 6 guys.

So proud of Woody for creating the culture that is needed moving forward and has been missing for a long time. Funny how people would say why don't Archie bench Justin Smith or Devonte Green? Mike Woodson does it and it's why is he costing us a game. Hopefully, it's not a black/white thing and just a don't know much about basketball thing. 

Anyway, I was really surprised by how much support some posters get for their takes. They show up in droves when IU loses. When Fife told me about IU fans I laughed, but now I see what he is talking about. They complain we lost, then they say why didn't we play Logan. Always want it both ways. Some people are never happy and don't want others happy. Back to IU, don't care what happens the rest of the season proud of how this was handled.

I also don't think TJD is all-Big Ten, he just can't dominate at this level. 4-13 shooting? Terrible free throws, just disappointed in his progression, probably Woodson's fault. Anyway till next time BTB. Peace out

Completely agree, I wanna be mad at Gallo for those two hook and holds but the dude was completely gassed. He definitely left it all out on the court last night. It kind of makes you wonder if that was the standard at IU for all players what their record might look like thus far against a relatively easy schedule.

We don't have evidence as fans but it wouldn't surprise me if teammates kind of knew something like this was coming at some point. It was FIVE players that messed up enough to get suspended. I highly doubt that they just happened to get caught the only time they messed up. That is still a difficult task when five of your brothers put themselves over the team in that manner. Proud of the way the team took care of the ball with all of their point guards down. Kind of makes you wonder why we've had turnover issues throughout the season.

Woody has to do what Woody has to do and Woody will be judged by what Woody does. Whether he was the one that targeted those transfers or recruited those players to stay. He is ultimately responsible. It is tough that we now have multiple players with multiple issues that have led to them sitting for games. If we had a player who could lead on this team I'm not sure we have these issues. It is quite embarrassing for those players and the university that the headline was "IU without 5 players due to suspension." As someone mentioned last night, when was the last time that happened at IU? Hell, when was the last time that happened at a major conference program? Ouch.

Dane knows! You've been to practice, how does Logan look? Could he provide a few minutes each half to give some guys a breather? What's  holding a 4* back 3/4 of the way through his freshman season to play a few minutes?

TJD has some issues that aren't basketball related that affects his game on the court. That's not limited to TJD unfortunately. He is a heck of a college player against most competition but still has a lot to improve before getting over that hurdle to becoming the dominate player he and others talk him up to be.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Was hoping to check in on this thread and not immediately get hit with passive-aggressive comments, whether they be negative assessments or positive ones. Passive-aggressive is not a good look, even when it's on an anonymous-name message board. Makes me biased against any content in the entire post.

And anyone who thinks that applies to them or is 'funny'? Yikes. 

My summary thoughts on what we saw last night:

• It was a pick 'em game last night with our full team. Based on Woody's comments a Monday night out in Chicago changed all of that.
  • 39 minutes of Gallo at the point with Leal at the point for the other one minute, plus about ten minutes of Kopp playing SG was a tough, unlikely thing to overcome. With Phin already out, those teammates severely let their brothers down. They should be ashamed of that, move on, and work like hell to try to overcome it through actions, not apologies.
  • I am hoping that this loss is a wakeup call for some of those five. However, I have my doubts that some of the five have the work ethic or mental toughness to self-reflect and be permanently changed after this. There are two of the five I have more hope for.
  • From a basketball standpoint,  we are in a reasonably good place; 7-6 in conference with seven to play.
  • If I am a parent of Gunn, Hood-Schifino, Banks, Newton, or Cupps I am absolutely satisfied with what Woody did, and more confident than ever that he is the right leader for a young man. I would also be slightly concerned that these five would be my son's future teammates, though at least two of them will be gone by the fall.
  • For me, last night completely cemented the need for Gallo and Jordan G to get "starter's minutes" going forward.
  • Last, but not least: last night was a very, very, VERY bad night for Kenya Hunter. Four of the five suspended players were 'his guys'. That tech he picked up was likely built up frustration from seeing his guys as the primary screw-ups.

That's what I've got.

Same.

On the suggestion that 'those guys should have played because fans came to see them play' as well as the 'why weren't the suspensions staggered':  when five guys skip curfew together, they are basically doing so as a unit to say 'you can't suspend us all'.  When the players think they are the ones that control those things, there is no option but to call their bluff.

In terms of players getting a wakeup call, you don't need all five to get it.  If two do, you know which ones you want to go to battle with and you have your eight man rotation.

16 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I’m just not gonna get that worked up in Woodys first season. This roster is flawed. Guys act CMW is hiding some gem on the bench and it just isn’t there.

Generally agree, I do think splitting up Kopp and Parker would go a long way in infusing a bit of rebounding and defense into the starting lineup while having another ball handler on the floor.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Generally agree, I do think splitting up Kopp and Parker would go a long way in infusing a bit of rebounding and defense into the starting lineup while having another ball handler on the floor.

Might see that now.

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So do the Cupps family, JHS, and Banks. Rabby reached out to all of them. 

Maybe it's just me but it seems weird that Rabby would reach out to them to get their reaction. Parents/recruits posting it on social media is one thing but Rabby reaching out to them... feels weird. I'm sure our fans will eat it up though.

The two guys I hope received the message were X and Tamar.  We can roll with a rotation of TJD, Race, Kopp, Galloway, X, JG, Leal and Tamar.

For Durr and Stewart, this was suspension #2 (although Durr wasn't officially suspended, the reality was that he was).  Lander had finally been given an opportunity to prove himself.  I'm not real high on guys that get a second chance and waste it.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Maybe it's just me but it seems weird that Rabby would reach out to them to get their reaction. Parents/recruits posting it on social media is one thing but Rabby reaching out to them... feels weird. I'm sure our fans will eat it up though.

I agree. I enjoy Rabby's content but his entire job is kinda weird honestly

Honestly, everyone involved in college basketball is weird.....fans included.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

And as much as I like Miller Kopp as a member of the team, he has not shot it well enough to make up for his lesser skill sets. He's now 37% from 3pt AND only 37% overall FG%.

I wouldn't split him and Parker, I'd reduce minutes for both of them. Parker should be in a Matt Roth role--off the bench when there is someone in the opponent's lineup that he's able to guard. 

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Might see that now.

Ehh, we'll definitely see. P Stew messed up earlier in the season enough to get benched for off court stuff and was right back in the starting lineup. I'm happy Kopp was among those that chose to not break team rules but where did his shot go?! I'm afraid it decided to hang out with those "party players" since Big 1.o season started.

Ehh, we'll definitely see. P Stew messed up earlier in the season enough to get benched for off court stuff and was right back in the starting lineup. I'm happy Kopp was among those that chose to not break team rules but where did his shot go?! I'm afraid it decided to hang out with those "party players" since Big 1.o season started.

That's why I said might.  If Kopp were shooting better, it'd be more likely that Stewart would be out of the lineup.  Kopp is missing good looks right now.  Stewart isn't taking them.  I never get upset with a player shooting the shots they are supposed to take.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Was hoping to check in on this thread and not immediately get hit with passive-aggressive comments, whether they be negative assessments or positive ones. Passive-aggressive is not a good look, even when it's on an anonymous-name message board. Makes me biased against any content in the entire post.

And anyone who thinks that applies to them or is 'funny'? Yikes. 

My summary thoughts on what we saw last night:

• It was a pick 'em game last night with our full team. Based on Woody's comments a Monday night out in Chicago changed all of that.
  • 39 minutes of Gallo at the point with Leal at the point for the other one minute, plus about ten minutes of Kopp playing SG was a tough, unlikely thing to overcome. With Phin already out, those teammates severely let their brothers down. They should be ashamed of that, move on, and work like hell to try to overcome it through actions, not apologies.
  • I am hoping that this loss is a wakeup call for some of those five. However, I have my doubts that some of the five have the work ethic or mental toughness to self-reflect and be permanently changed after this. There are two of the five I have more hope for.
  • From a basketball standpoint,  we are in a reasonably good place; 7-6 in conference with seven to play.
  • If I am a parent of Gunn, Hood-Schifino, Banks, Newton, or Cupps I am absolutely satisfied with what Woody did, and more confident than ever that he is the right leader for a young man. I would also be slightly concerned that these five would be my son's future teammates, though at least two of them will be gone by the fall.
  • For me, last night completely cemented the need for Gallo and Jordan G to get "starter's minutes" going forward.
  • Last, but not least: last night was a very, very, VERY bad night for Kenya Hunter. Four of the five suspended players were 'his guys'. That tech he picked up was likely built up frustration from seeing his guys as the primary screw-ups.

That's what I've got.

This is the best post on this game tread!  Well said!!!!  

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The two guys I hope received the message were X and Tamar.  We can roll with a rotation of TJD, Race, Kopp, Galloway, X, JG, Leal and Tamar.

For Durr and Stewart, this was suspension #2 (although Durr wasn't officially suspended, the reality was that he was).  Lander had finally been given an opportunity to prove himself.  I'm not real high on guys that get a second chance and waste it.

P Stew is the only player who makes anything from outside, somewhat consistently. Big 1.o coaches are typically rather bright and scout the hell out of their opponents. If this is the final straw for P Stew we'll have to rely on not good at shooting players to have miraculous games if/when they get a chance to shoot or have Trayce and Race taking on 8 defenders in the paint. I'm not confident we'll be able to scheme our way out of that based on the evidence that has been provided for 3/4 of the season. (I know this makes me a negative poster and not a fan to some)