Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - 02/08/22 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

22 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

That would be a crushing blow as we are also looking at losing TJD, Race and Duncomb. Who do we start at the 5, Geronimo?

It would be a bummer but I think we could get a “Durr like” player in the portal. He is a 5-10 minute guy, and I am a fan in regards to the role he fills, with a big body. Good to have him when we play against bruisers, has a nice stroke but  can’t jump 2 inches and doesn’t get a rebound that is not directly over his head (and can’t hold onto some of them). 

Im not advocating for him to get booted but IF he is a ringleader, and IF he has already been in trouble, I say adios and get someone from the portal.

31 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I think Durr can possibly be explained because he’s a horrible matchup on anyone that can out-run Woody. 

Durr did not play against PSU (he would have been a decent matchup against their big man) and didn’t play in the MD blowout in which even Duncan got in. 

After the PSU game Woody gave a smirking “coaches decision” response when asked about Durr not playing. Durr played  in pretty much every game this year. I don’t think it was a coincidence, or bad match-ups, that all the sudden didn’t play in two games in a row vs PSU and MD.

We as fans don’t deserve this. I don’t mean 1 loss, I mean the complete disregard for what it takes to be successful.

im not pissed we lost to wisconsin, it’s that we rolled over and quit with 20 minutes to play. I’m not pissed we lost at home to Michigan and Illinois, it’s that we had awful gameplans and again rolled over and got blown out. I’m not pissed we lost to Northwestern, I’m pissed that with the season on the line, our first ncaa tournament birth in 5 years on the line, it wasn’t THAT important to 5 of our guys.

if it’s not important to them, why should it be important for me? I live 30 minutes away from Northwestern and went to every game there for a decade until numerous embarrassing losses under Archie and I got that same gut feeling tonight and said “f it”, I’m not going.

glad I didn’t waste my time and money

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Our roster can be not very good, and at the same time the short rotation could have affected our play tonight - doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I was at the game only a few rows from the court. I saw our guys during time outs, in between plays, etc.  I promise you they were gassed starting at about 10 minutes left. TJD was very noticeably struggling at the end of the game.  Cite all the other teams you want, the short rotation absolutely affected our play tonight.  As for Duncomb, I'm honestly just as baffled as you are how he couldn't get into the game tonight.

I don’t want to hear any excuses about our guys being gassed when we had scholarship players on the bench that didn’t get 1 minute of action.

put him in for two minutes each half to give our players a breather for f sake: not asking for him to ply major minutes. 

wtf? We are baking in an excuse for next year when we lose our entire front court and have to play small balll

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I guess not answering the questions that were legit BEFORE our players were 'gassed' says all I need to know. Thank you.

You know what they say about assuming right... This result didn't shock me at all, it wouldn't have shocked me with a full squad.

But we didn’t play a full squad….but you just ASSUMED the result there anyway.

5 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

We as fans don’t deserve this. I don’t mean 1 loss, I mean the complete disregard for what it takes to be successful.

im not pissed we lost to wisconsin, it’s that we rolled over and quit with 20 minutes to play. I’m not pissed we lost at home to Michigan and Illinois, it’s that we had awful gameplans and again rolled over and got blown out. I’m not pissed we lost to Northwestern, I’m pissed that with the season on the line, our first ncaa tournament birth in 5 years on the line, it wasn’t THAT important to 5 of our guys.

if it’s not important to them, why should it be important for me? I live 30 minutes away from Northwestern and went to every game there for a decade until numerous embarrassing losses under Archie and I got that same gut feeling tonight and said “f it”, I’m not going.

I think you said it well!  It wasn’t that important to those 5 guys and now we are riding a losing streak with a tough stretch just ahead.  The focus should have been on the prize of getting into the tournament. Whatever they did could have waited until after the season.  The older players should have known better.  That’s not good leadership.  

I heard their suspensions could be longer.

By the way, what did they do?  A rumor has it they snuck out the night before!  I haven’t heard anything else.

What I am concerned with the most is the trend or repeat pattern that appears to be starting at about the same time as last year when the wheels fell off.  

TJD not finishing, disciplinary issues, losing to teams we should beat, not hitting free throws, not making open 3’s just to name a few of the same or similar stuff as last year.  TJD looks like he gets bumped a little and then just throws it up and hopes it goes in.  If he isn’t scoring, this teams chances for winning greatly decreases, especially when you have 5 scholarship players suspended.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

Do we know if this was just a one game suspension yet?

Coach said he didn't know, would think about it on the way back to Bloomington. I guess we will see.

Duncomb must show absolutely nothing in practice -- or Woody just has no faith in him whatsoever. I get that people claim he's not a B1G-caliber player -- although it seems difficult to determine given the sample size. But jeez, we were down to seven scholarship players last night -- he was one -- and he didn't even come close to sniffing the court. A walk-on played before he did! 

Hell, even Priller saw some run when times got desperate, and you don't get much more desperate than last night. I just thought giving him a couple 3-4 minute spurts to spell Race and/or Trace woulda made a little sense. 

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Something something not an IU fan, something something not an e issue, something something hater

It is crazy that we've had these issues since the first game of the season but we couldn't judge them because new everything (except all the old issues like optional e, shooting, turnovers, rebounding, etc.)

At least we'll FINALLY get into the tourney and it's just Woody's first year!

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why did we struggle to rebound BEFORE we were 'gassed?' Why did we continue to miss free throws before we were 'gassed?' TJD had a favorable matchup and ... That was not his best performance. How can Kopp not find his shot in this game or the 20 before it?

We were in this position because we have ZERO leadership even after we hear players talking about leadership. That has nothing to do being gassed but is THE reason we dug ourselves a hole.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

But we didn’t play a full squad….but you just ASSUMED the result there anyway.

Please, tell me where I ASSUMED the result there anyways. I'll wait again for you to deflect.

four-tops-its-the-same-old-song.gif

36 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think you said it well!  It wasn’t that important to those 5 guys and now we are riding a losing streak with a tough stretch just ahead.  The focus should have been on the prize of getting into the tournament. Whatever they did could have waited until after the season.  The older players should have known better.  That’s not good leadership.  

I heard their suspensions could be longer.

By the way, what did they do?  A rumor has it they snuck out the night before!  I haven’t heard anything else.

Maybe we do have a leader, just the wrong leader and wrong followers... I remember this script from a previous regime. It was a lot of drama but not a lot of winning.

We were shorthanded and...

I can't excuse it, though.  We had to beat Northwestern.  The next three games are against teams in the Top 25, and given Indiana's historical failures in the Big Ten Tournament, we really need to make a case during conference play.  I really don't want to go to the Not Invited Tournament.

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Duncomb must show absolutely nothing in practice -- or Woody just has no faith in him whatsoever. I get that people claim he's not a B1G-caliber player -- although it seems difficult to determine given the sample size. But jeez, we were down to seven scholarship players last night -- he was one -- and he didn't even come close to sniffing the court. A walk-on played before he did! 

Hell, even Priller saw some run when times got desperate, and you don't get much more desperate than last night. I just thought giving him a couple 3-4 minute spurts to spell Race and/or Trace woulda made a little sense. 

I'm sure there are more than a few Big 1.o teams that would have loved to have landed him to develop him. Hell, he would probably be getting minutes at several Big 1.0 programs while being developed. Something about culture and working hard