Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - 02/08/22 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You're right.  Having players out and playing guys their career high minutes was the perfect formula for winning.  Thanks for setting me straight.

This was a coin flip game when all of our guys were expected to play.  I'm sorry you were shocked when we removed five rotation guys and lost.

I guess not answering the questions that were legit BEFORE our players were 'gassed' says all I need to know. Thank you.

You know what they say about assuming right... This result didn't shock me at all, it wouldn't have shocked me with a full squad.

8 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Lol, you said we had no chance for 20 wins after the first game of the season. If you’re not going to root for IU, why are you here? Go find a team you can actually cheer on. Your incessant negativity coupled with the absolute lack of credible perspective is incredibly annoying. Basketball aint for you bud. 

giphy.gif

Cool.  Teams haven't shot well against us all year.  Guess we've just been lucky.  Thanks for setting me straight.
If you don't think pulling out five players from your rotaiton and playing your fourth option at point effects the game.....bless your heart.

Everything effects the game. Missing players effects the game. The mindset of those who played effects the game. Our 6-7 weren’t good enough. That’s what it boils down to. Being gassed isn’t why we lost.

Maybe our best 7-8 could have won the game. Maybe/probably not. That’s my point. We aren’t as good as I hoped we’d be full strength or partial strength. 6-7 guys can win this game easily, just not the 6-7 we had. My point…. We didn’t lose because we were gassed.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Sincerely sorry to whoever mentioned this if someone already did, but Parker Stewart being mysteriously benched TWICE in about a month and a half? Tough look, my guy. 

In fairness, he did get 8 minutes in the last one. Hard to judge a kid when Woody keeps all transgressions in house. Agree it’s a tough look though. 

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Not to mention Durr has now been held out of 3/4 last games.  Big Mike might be going to his third school next year if he doesn’t get his “stuff” together.

I think Durr can possibly be explained because he’s a horrible matchup on anyone that can out-run Woody. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Absolutely. Fans pay to support the team. Without them you lose money and don't have a viable model as shown by the huge losses teams and athletic departments took with no fans last year. 

That's the kind of attitude that ruled when Kelvin Sampson was coach and discipline was non-existent.  No thanks.

8 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Lol, you said we had no chance for 20 wins after the first game of the season. If you’re not going to root for IU, why are you here? Go find a team you can actually cheer on. Your incessant negativity coupled with the absolute lack of credible perspective is incredibly annoying. Basketball aint for you bud. 

Did I? I'd like to see that post if you could find it. I don't recall posting that but I could be wrong. I thought with our soft schedule, both noncon and con, we would have a fighting chance on that bubble life. You're right though, I'm no coach, never went to that coaching skool so I ain't sure it's for me either.

I honestly think people go at those "negative" posters because they identified issues early in the season and they were a little more right than people want to believe. Instead of being frustrated at who they should be frustrated with they take their aim at those "negative" posters.

Serious question, if I'm not giddy over the team laying turds all over the court does that mean I can't root for IU?

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

In fairness, he did get 8 minutes in the last one. Hard to judge a kid when Woody keeps all transgressions in house. Agree it’s a tough look though. 

You’re right, I mistakenly thought the NKU game was a total DNP. 

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Absolutely. Fans pay to support the team. Without them you lose money and don't have a viable model as shown by the huge losses teams and athletic departments took with no fans last year. 

The administration as a pretty good feel for this fan base. One game just outside Chicago with "all of our good players" sitting won't change their support for this program. Hell, they might be able to spin it for some more money for a few trees in the parking lot.

8 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Not to mention Durr has now been held out of 3/4 last games.  Big Mike might be going to his third school next year if he doesn’t get his “stuff” together.

That would be a crushing blow as we are also looking at losing TJD, Race and Duncomb. Who do we start at the 5, Geronimo?

Night guys. Gotta bunch of dentistry to put together tomorrow. I’m mostly pissed because I want us to be legitimately good. I’ve known we aren’t for a while. Heck, really early this season, the “eye test” could tell. Same way, it could tell Purdue was impressive. I always trust my eye test. From that point on, I’m wishing for miracles. They aren’t coming (Purdue win excluded). The optimism is gone. Roster strife now. The recruits coming in aren’t going to flip this. Fun times.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Night guys. Gotta bunch of dentistry to put together tomorrow. I’m mostly pissed because I want us to be legitimately good. I’ve known we aren’t for a while. Heck, really early this season, the “eye test” could tell. Same way, it could tell Purdue was impressive. I always trust my eye test. From that point on, I’m wishing for miracles. They aren’t coming (Purdue win excluded). The optimism is gone. Roster strife now. The recruits coming in aren’t going to flip this. Fun times.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Oh, and let’s beat Michigan State to give them back to back home losses this weekend. That’ll do it.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Everything effects the game. Missing players effects the game. The mindset of those who played effects the game. Our 6-7 weren’t good enough. That’s what it boils down to. Being gassed isn’t why we lost.

Maybe our best 7-8 could have won the game. Maybe/probably not. That’s my point. We aren’t as good as I hoped we’d be full strength or partial strength. 6-7 guys can win this game easily, just not the 6-7 we had. My point…. We didn’t lose because we were gassed.

I appreciate the post and I think it explains your position.  My point is that being tired does have an effect on the game.  You can argue the amount that it does or does not, but with the six we played there is really very little margin for error.  If 'being gassed' has no effect, then why would you not just play five guys 40 minutes?

Lack of options is not a good thing to have.  I don't know how that can be spun as anything but a negative.  Being tired isn't the only reason we lost, but it is certainly is one of the reasons.  Pointing to one thing as a reason is never accurate.  But to say that if we had our best 7-8 players that we 'probably wouldn't have won' doesn't make sense to me.  I don't know about you, but I would have liked to have someone who actually played the point for us.

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not false. To each their own. Guys don’t want to sit. They want 35-36 minutes. Every college player does. Only reason we led in first half is NW couldn’t hit any 3s. Our roster just isn’t very good. Numerous other games that substantiate this.

Our roster can be not very good, and at the same time the short rotation could have affected our play tonight - doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

I was at the game only a few rows from the court. I saw our guys during time outs, in between plays, etc.  I promise you they were gassed starting at about 10 minutes left. TJD was very noticeably struggling at the end of the game.  Cite all the other teams you want, the short rotation absolutely affected our play tonight.  As for Duncomb, I'm honestly just as baffled as you are how he couldn't get into the game tonight.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It doesn’t matter. We lose this game with our full roster as well. The guys that are suspended aren’t that great. We haven’t been great at any point of this season. Offensively challenged from jump. I don’t care about the suspensions. Good for coach. It’s still not an excuse from being underwhelming all season. The pumpers will blame those 5 for chemistry issues or whatever. That will be the new narrative. We lose with or without them. The guys on the floor tonight stunk it up. Non of it matters except the W/Ls.

We’re cursed. Maybe Brad Stevens wants to give it a go in 3-4 years.

It's not even a legitimate comment to say we would have lost this game either way.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Keep it under a billion, it's all I got... On me.

A Benchwarmers quote has just a liiiittle more bite to it tonight for some reason…