Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2025) - PG Darryn Peterson

Peterson is not a new name that popped up from nowhere.  His name came up last summer as someone we were keeping tabs on.  His AAU affiliation has been with Wildcats Select on the Adidas circuit.  He's a freshman so there's not a lot of good info on him that I could find --  no  MaxPreps,  HUDL, 247, etc.

Rivals

The following is from a Sept. '21 The Brantley Report synopsis on 10 freshman to watch.  FWIW, Trent Sisley was also included in this list of 10.

DARRYN PETERSON: Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (Canton, OH)  6'4 Guard with offers from: LSU, St. John's, Pitt, Xavier, Cleveland State, Maryland, Arizona State, Akron & Ohio State.  Darryn Peterson is fun to watch! The 6'4+ Combo Guard plays with a level of poise and confidence that you would expect of a senior. He is athletic and plays above the rim, scores at all 3 levels and has backed up the hype around his name by playing up and competing with the best, regardless of age/class. I had the opportunity to broadcast his game vs. Strive For Greatness (CA) 15u team and he went head to head with Vyctorius Miller (ESPN #8 in 2024). He scored 16 points in that game, but thats not what stood out to me the most. I was impressed with his lateral agility and ability to be a tenacious perimeter defender. Typically when I see a player competing above their age level the scoring takes care of itself, but they typically end up showing their age on the defensive end of the floor. That wasn't the case for Peterson. He is a willing and aggressive defender who has the ability to rebound and push the floor like a savvy vet. I'm going to keep a close eye on Peterson and track his growth and development during his high school career because he has a chance to be special.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-2025-ohio-guard-darryn-peterson/?fbclid=IwAR33_0_AfmC-FARqRDeWsbnSEkv6x1inLyYTZII_zzUkT-oqoK-zTMtAivE

This is a Bucknuts site but has links to a couple of YouTube videos.  http://www.scarletbuckeye.com/index.php?threads/25-oh-sg-darryn-peterson-verbal-offer.18922/

In this link it mentions that his stay at Cuyahoga Valley could be just a 1-year stop:  https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/08/30/ohio-state-basketball-recruiting-darryn-peterson/5645364001/

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/04/12/pitt-offers-6-foot-4-ohio-8th-grader-darryn-peterson/

Watched a game from a week ago when CVCA defeated Tuslaw 61-53.  Peterson was quite impressive.  Finished with 25 pts. on 9-12 FG; 2-3 on 3s; 5-6 FT; 8 reb; 2 asst; 5 stl; 2 blk; 0 TO.  Plays under control and showed good body control on drives down the lane.  Active rebounder and plays good defense.  

Watched 2 more games.  First was an 83-78 loss at Triway where those officials made the Kohl Center crew look amateurish.  They called a ticky-tack foul on Peterson less than a minute into the game and then on his next 2 drives to the bucket, he got mugged so badly the Corleone family would have been proud and he got no call.  He fouled out in the 4th with 3:30 left on a foul that was actually on a teammate but he was gone.  Finished with 31 pts. on 8-19 FG; 5-8 on 3s; 10-11 FT; 15 reb; 6 assts; 4 stl; 0 blk; 1 TO.

Next game was a 60-41 win over Akron East.  Scored 25 pts on 9-15 FG; 1-3 on 3s; 6-6 FT; 9 reb; 3 asst; 6 stl; 3 blk; 2 TO.

So for 3 games I watched -- yes, a small sample --  he averaged 27 pts on 57% FG; 57% on 3s; 91% FT; 11 reb; 4 asst; 5 stl; 2 blk; 1 TO.  I think Peterson is the real deal.  He's very smooth, good ball handler, can finish with either hand and has a high motor.  He's going to be in high demand.

Peterson with 26 pts. in a 52-47 win over Manchester.  From his coach:  "We are led offensively by Darryn Peterson," Futch said. "I've had some phenomenal freshmen, and this kid is special. ... He is going to play at the next level. Darryn is, in my opinion and I am sure other coaches who have seen him would agree, he is a true candidate for Mr. Basketball."

CVCA (12-6, 8-2) is tied with Northwest (10-7, 8-2) atop the PAC standings.

CVCA with a home game tonight against Orrville HS (Orrville, OH ring any bells?).  The game will be streamed and this is the link.          athletics.cvcaroyals.org/livestream                7:00 scheduled tipoff.

The link will take you to NFHSnetwork.com but I believe you'll be able to watch the game complete with audio at no charge.  At least this is how it worked for his previous home game.  

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

CVCA with a home game tonight against Orrville HS (Orrville, OH ring any bells?).  The game will be streamed and this is the link.          athletics.cvcaroyals.org/livestream                7:00 scheduled tipoff.

The link will take you to NFHSnetwork.com but I believe you'll be able to watch the game complete with audio at no charge.  At least this is how it worked for his previous home game.  

Absolutely. RMK.

This team Darryn Peterson is killing tonight would be a poor JV team. But, man, he’s gonna be destination viewing for the next 3 years. That kid’s special. 

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

This team Darryn Peterson is killing tonight would be a poor JV team. But, man, he’s gonna be destination viewing for the next 3 years. That kid’s special. 

Absolutely.  Final score was 65-34 and I know he finished with 26 pts., but I lost the feed for the first 4 min. of the 2Q.  I do know he sat out the entire 4Q and that he scored 13 of his 26 in the 3rd.

CVCA lost 55-43 to Walsh Jesuit.  I had Peterson with 15p  6r  5a  2s  5b;  5t.  CVCA went scoreless the last 3:53 of the game and Peterson who is clearly the best player on the team only had a single shot attempt during that time.  3 of his 5 TOs came from trying to dribble through double teams and 1 was when he got his pocket picked from behind.  He's playing on a mediocre team despite its 14-7 record and I wonder if he won't be playing somewhere else next year.  That's purely my opinion.

Peterson is something else to watch.  CVCA defeated East Tech 71-47 in tournament play.  I scored him with 34p  12r  2a  5s  2b  2t and I'm sure I probably shorted him in a few categories.  He is so smooth.  His next game will be on Wed., March 2.

Post-game story --

Freshman forward Darryn Peterson had 31 points to lead the CVCA Royals to a 71-47 win over East Tech in OHSAA sectional final play.

The Royals raced out to an 18-8 lead thanks to the efforts of Peterson, who had 13 points in the quarter.

East Tech responded, cutting the lead to six early in the second quarter, thanks to buckets from Devante Graham and Mohamed Sakhir.

But CVCA responded with a game-breaking 21-4 run. Peterson added 11 more points in the quarter for a total of 24. Thanks to this run, the Royals led 39-16 going into the halftime break.

The Royals would push their lead to as much as 28 points, thanks to buckets from the outside and the inside. On defense, they forced East Tech to miss several shots, and grabbed multiple boards.

These cleanups would turn into baskets for the Royals, to the delight of the student section.

In the fourth quarter, the Royals had a little fun as well. On an inbound pass, Will Potts found Darryn Peterson for a rim-rattling alley-oop to send the crowd into a frenzy.

From there CVCA rolled to victory, advancing to the districts for the second consecutive season.

In addition to Peterson’s 31, senior wing Seth Bagwell had 22, and Brennen Darr had 11.

CVCA (15-7) advances to play against Padua next Wednesday at the Canton Civic Center.

East Tech’s season ends at 11-9, but not without a valiant effort. The Scarabs did not play last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and head coach Terence Owen came on board two weeks before the season began. They were led by Malik Bennett’s 14 points, followed by seniors Devante Graham and Mohamed Sakhir, each with 13.

13 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Peterson is something else to watch.  CVCA defeated East Tech 71-47 in tournament play.  I scored him with 34p  12r  2a  5s  2b  2t and I'm sure I probably shorted him in a few categories.  He is so smooth.  His next game will be on Wed., March 2.

Have now watched everyone with an offer at least twice except Sisley and Cooper Koch. IMO, the 2 best prospects are pretty easily Peterson and Bryson Tiller. With Tiller, there’s some projection. Peterson is a FRESHMAN with really no projection at all. Pick a trait or a skill and he’s got it. Plus, he defends. He competes. He involves teammates. He’s got a great temperament for the game. Hs ceiling is gonna be tied to his ultimate physical/athletic growth. But, barring injury, there’s no scenario where he’s not a terrific college player. You could put him on the floor with D1 kids right now and he wouldn’t be out of place. Hell of a prospect and really fun to watch. 

CVCA advanced to Saturday's district finals with a 72-57 win over Parma Padua.  Peterson 23p.

Peterson is averaging over 26 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and three steals per game. He is shooting over 50 percent from the field and over 43 percent from beyond the 3-point arc. He helped CVCA clinch the PAC-7 championship, and his list of scholarship offers includes Ohio State, Arizona State, Akron, Pittsburgh, St. John's, Louisiana State, West Viriginia, Cleveland State, Xavier, Indiana and Marquette.

Post-game quote from his coach:  "... He is one of the best players in the state and arguably the best player in the area regardless of class. He has a level of leadership in him that I have not seen before. He can do a lot of things on the court. He rebounds at a high level and he continues to see every type of defense — whether it is man, whether it is zone, whether it is box and one, and he gets his teammates involved. It is a pleasure to see."

Peterson's season ended with a 75-61 loss to Glenville in the district finals.  He finished with 26 pts. and it seems to be a foregone conclusion he will be playing ball somewhere else next season.   In the Beacon Journal's post-game story, it was mentioned that the CVCA head coach was a teammate of Darryn's dad at the University of Akron.  And if I remember correctly (always a question) when Peterson's name first surfaced someone posted on here that his dad was supposed to join the CVCA staff but something happened and that didn't materialize.

Also from the post-game story:  

Peterson's playing style is reserved rather than flamboyant, along the lines of Cavs rookie Evan Mobley. He didn't whine about getting bumped around. One time, a Tarblooder bodied him up outside the circle, stepped even closer than seemed possible, and buried his forehead under the freshman's right shoulder.

Peterson's skill showed out in assorted ways. One time he took off after making a steal, looked backward for a split second to make sure no one would flick his crossover from behind, then accelerated to the rim like silk shot out of a cannon.

I have very limited season stats for him but the following were cited in a newspaper write-up following his last game  --  Peterson is averaging over 26 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and three steals per game. He is shooting over 50 percent from the field and over 43 percent from beyond the 3-point arc.