Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUFootballEndlessMisery

Who leaves the program first; Darren Hiller or Tom Allen?

Now, before this sounds like a gloom and doom thread or if you want to jump on me for what sounds like a hit piece on Tom Allen, let me explain; it feels like the one constant with Tom Allen's staff since he started that remains has been our offensive line coordinator.  Unfortunately, Hiller has not been much of a benefit to the team, and his style of coaching leaves a lot to the imagination.  Far too often, our O-Line look comically inept, leaving our quarterbacks vulnerable to the pass rush, forcing them to scramble on their feet or risk get sacked, which lead to potential turnovers or even injuries, and the common sight of our "protection" staring at our fallen QB wondering what happened to him has went far beyond comical into the infuriating.  Sure, there were a few bright spots during his time, such as minimizing sacks back in 2020 and his ability to produce the occasional NFL ready talent, but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Yet... getting rid of Hiller is a challenge on two fronts; the sentimental front and the financial front.  Tom Allen has worked with Hiller not only here but at Arkansas State, where Allen was an assistant coach, and financially, Allen had to take a pay cut to allow enough clearance for the program to fire Nick Sheridan.  The sentimental barrier is something that I think is possible for Allen himself to overcome... eventually, but right now, I don't know about the financial barrier.  IU football will always be regarded as the sad sack of college football programs, so you won't see people throwing millions of dollars to make problems go away.

And, obviously, if Tom Allen leaves, Hiller clearly goes, so the question is really "Will Darren Hiller be fired, or will Darren Hiller leave as a result of something happening to Tom Allen?"

Now, before this sounds like a gloom and doom thread or if you want to jump on me for what sounds like a hit piece on Tom Allen, let me explain; it feels like the one constant with Tom Allen's staff since he started that remains has been our offensive line coordinator.  Unfortunately, Hiller has not been much of a benefit to the team, and his style of coaching leaves a lot to the imagination.  Far too often, our O-Line look comically inept, leaving our quarterbacks vulnerable to the pass rush, forcing them to scramble on their feet or risk get sacked, which lead to potential turnovers or even injuries, and the common sight of our "protection" staring at our fallen QB wondering what happened to him has went far beyond comical into the infuriating.  Sure, there were a few bright spots during his time, such as minimizing sacks back in 2020 and his ability to produce the occasional NFL ready talent, but the negatives far outweigh the positives.
Yet... getting rid of Hiller is a challenge on two fronts; the sentimental front and the financial front.  Tom Allen has worked with Hiller not only here but at Arkansas State, where Allen was an assistant coach, and financially, Allen had to take a pay cut to allow enough clearance for the program to fire Nick Sheridan.  The sentimental barrier is something that I think is possible for Allen himself to overcome... eventually, but right now, I don't know about the financial barrier.  IU football will always be regarded as the sad sack of college football programs, so you won't see people throwing millions of dollars to make problems go away.
And, obviously, if Tom Allen leaves, Hiller clearly goes, so the question is really "Will Darren Hiller be fired, or will Darren Hiller leave as a result of something happening to Tom Allen?"
Unfortunately I think this is a best friend situation where it is going to take tom leaving for Hillar to leave. I assume the dude will have a college coaching job anywhere Allen will be the head coach at

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

On 2/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, LamarCheeks said:

After the progress of 2019 and '20, if we go 2-10 with another 0-fer in the B1G this year, I hope they fire the entire bunch. 

I don't want to rehash the entire season.....but what happens if McFadden isn't ejected in the Cincinnati game and IU wins that game, because that is what was going to happen! Last year was a nightmare, but I don't see a repeat coming.......

Tom Allen never earned this job to begin with. Literally, it was “we can’t lose the guy who finally made IU’s defense respectable”. That’s all he did. He’s a defensive coordinator and he’ll never be anything other than that. Doesn’t make him a bad guy but now, nothing is working under his watch and Hiller being the last man standing embarrassing at best, criminal at worst…how many kids have to get hurt? Careers derailed? Penix is a test case in how awful Tom Allen is to the IU program. When Desan leaves and we have no QB next year, no RB next year, no WR next year and the entire defense graduates….then what?

We need recruiters.  We need defensive secondary.  We need to get to their QB.  

We need a QB that is accurate in throwing and can run some. 

We got in a hole yesterday because of an attempt to stop the run but not the long pass...against a team with a record of good passes and questionable ground game.  

Without a good defensive scheme in the first half...and without an accurate passer...it was game over.

At one time IU had twice the offensive plays than UC.  It was evident that field position was in UC's favor for the whole game.  IU had to go 90 yards to score for a lot of possessions.  

To me that means getting a QB and beefing up the DL and DS.  Sure some calls by IU to go on 4th down with rotten field position may be questionable but trying to get momentum changed is arguable.

Does all this mean IU needs to change coaches?  Not sure.

There are reasons to change coaches.  One has to have a plan.  One does not change coaches after 4 games in a season.  Typically, one lets the season develop.

Maybe our QB and OL will learn something from this and improve.  Maybe the defensive coordinator will too.  Maybe we will not try to get 4th down yardage with bad field position.  Maybe the turnovers will not be against IU.

Play the season out.  

IUFB is currently 3-1. After watching the Idaho game I would have told you they'd be on a two game losing streak right now. Honestly I'm not sure what to make of this team. The way I've been describing it to the non IUFB faithful is, "They have somehow won 3 games."

They don't look like a team that's 3-1 but they are. Is that coaching? Is that the players? Is that the competition? I'd say all the above. They've gotten somewhat solid QB play overall compared to last year. He's only 935 yards from reaching last year's season total passing yards. Let me say that again, SEASON TOTAL passing yards. They have a deep threat they didn't have last year due to injury. The run game has some spots of positive outlook. Although it's few and far between when that occurs but it's there. The secondary is healthier compared to last year. The DL play seems to be better than last year. Overall this team is actually better than last year's IUFB. But I get it, it's frustrating to watch this team. But this is a legit question that most of us can't answer, does IUFB win this Saturday at NEB? Regardless, they'll sit at either 3-2 or 4-1. 

However, to answer the question of this thread, after last season it's not a stretch to say CTA won't fire his OL coach. So for me at least, I think it's safe to say Allen would be the first with Hiller to follow him. 

17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

IUFB is currently 3-1. After watching the Idaho game I would have told you they'd be on a two game losing streak right now. Honestly I'm not sure what to make of this team. The way I've been describing it to the non IUFB faithful is, "They have somehow won 3 games."

They don't look like a team that's 3-1 but they are. Is that coaching? Is that the players? Is that the competition? I'd say all the above. They've gotten somewhat solid QB play overall compared to last year. He's only 935 yards from reaching last year's season total passing yards. Let me say that again, SEASON TOTAL passing yards. They have a deep threat they didn't have last year due to injury. The run game has some spots of positive outlook. Although it's few and far between when that occurs but it's there. The secondary is healthier compared to last year. The DL play seems to be better than last year. Overall this team is actually better than last year's IUFB. But I get it, it's frustrating to watch this team. But this is a legit question that most of us can't answer, does IUFB win this Saturday at NEB? Regardless, they'll sit at either 3-2 or 4-1. 

However, to answer the question of this thread, after last season it's not a stretch to say CTA won't fire his OL coach. So for me at least, I think it's safe to say Allen would be the first with Hiller to follow him. 

The health aspect of your post is so, so important. This team was destroyed by injuries last season. They weren't good, don't get me wrong, but they weren't as bad as things ended up either.

The offensive line has regressed every year since Hiller has been here. I really miss the days of having an oline with guys like Feeney  and Spriggs(we actually developed lineman back then) on it that could run at will. There is no justification for how bad the oline is. Dolson should make Allen fire Hiller immediately.