Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IUBB vs Illinois- 2/5/2022 @ 12:00 on ESPN

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

No different rotation or alternative lineup would have made any difference Saturday. The team shot 35%, 23% from 3-point range. Illinois trampled over everyone. This is a team with no real shooters and that doesn't get us far against good teams. TJD is talented but he has serious limitations. Race usually does well when TJD is taking the defense away from him. Otherwise, he plays hard but is merely an OK player. Xavier is an average point guard who sometimes sparkles but often not. It goes down from there. Bates can't play defense and his shooting has been awful. Galloway can't shoot anything but a layup. Stewart and Kopp contribute very little.  We would have lost to Purdue had Rob Phinisee not had a career game. Woodson had only one real recruit (Bates).  It is what it is and there is no use in hoping the team will somehow compete at a higher level than they have. The truth is Woodson has the team overachieving with victories over Purdue and Ohio State.

Not the llineup, but the strategy maybe.  Trying to post up against a beast is not likely going to work, I don't care who you are.  That I think was the biggest failure.  We did alright in the first half when TJD was on the bench and we had no intent to go inside.  

1 hour ago, johnsoniu said:

Bat 17 is solid. Good burgers/sandwiches and a large selection of beers. Celtic Knot public house is good too. Neither are really walking distance but traffic has never been a problem whenever I’ve went. There is one bar I know of (Ten Mile House) within walking distance but it was more upscale dining than a bar.  

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Adding on.  If you are driving there are four good microbreweries in Evanston.  Sketchbook, and Temperance Beer Co are the best known of the bunch but each is a few miles from the arena.  Smiley Brothers is more restaurant than bar but close to downtown.  A new one called Double Clutch brews German beers and has a mini museum of classic sports cars...it's off on its own in a neighborhood, but just a mile away from the game.  Bluestone is walking distance and has a nice bar but typically gets packed early on game days. There are also two new bars close together, downtown, called Tapville and Ridgeville Tavern, but I've not been to either yet.

Golfman25 said: "Not the llineup, but the strategy maybe.  Trying to post up against a beast is not likely going to work, I don't care who you are.  That I think was the biggest failure.  We did alright in the first half when TJD was on the bench and we had no intent to go inside." 

I agree it was a mistake to try to run the offense through TJD when he clearly was not effective against Kofi Cockburn. IU also tried to run the offense through Race Thompson but that didn't work any better. Nobody was hitting in the second half anyway. So it wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome. We needed a player to have a career game like Rob Phinisee did against Purdue. Alas, it wasn't to be.

28 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Golfman25 said: "Not the llineup, but the strategy maybe.  Trying to post up against a beast is not likely going to work, I don't care who you are.  That I think was the biggest failure.  We did alright in the first half when TJD was on the bench and we had no intent to go inside." 

I agree it was a mistake to try to run the offense through TJD when he clearly was not effective against Kofi Cockburn. IU also tried to run the offense through Race Thompson but that didn't work any better. Nobody was hitting in the second half anyway. So it wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome. We needed a player to have a career game like Rob Phinisee did against Purdue. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Mostly agree. I agree with the idea that forcing the ball into race and trayce was an awful idea. 

what I don’t agree with is that no matter what we would have lost. As you pointed out, in the first half, we didn’t force it inside and we played pretty well. A similar formula could have garnered a different outcome, it would have.

when you are a shooter and plays aren’t being run for you, it’s hard to get in a rhythm and that was the second half for us.

22 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Yep, I’m not saying I think we will win 2/4.

I could see us winning @NW and beating Wiscy but can also see us going 1-3 or 0-4. 
Hoping for 2-2 and that we might be a little  overly pessimistic because we lost to a good team in which we poorly match up.

I think we’ll go 2-2. Starters benched, they will come out focused. The bad matchup isn’t there against NWU. The team knows it has to win some of these games, sense of urgency. 
We all tend to overreact to W’s and L’s. This team has road W’s, and we will beat Wisconsin at home - i’m going out on a limb on that one, because damn it, it’s time

I tend to think IU will split the next four, too. I realize they’re tough, but I think they get tomorrow’s game at NW and then you’ve got 3 shots are the second win. Probably WI.

I don’t think either @ MSU or @ OSU are totally a bridge too far, though.

I don’t blame anyone, but I feel like a lot of the loss reactions here are still programmed by the way things went during the Arch years.

49 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I tend to think IU will split the next four, too. I realize they’re tough, but I think they get tomorrow’s game at NW and then you’ve got 3 shots are the second win. Probably WI.

I don’t think either @ MSU or @ OSU are totally a bridge too far, though.

I don’t blame anyone, but I feel like a lot of the loss reactions here are still programmed by the way things went during the Arch years.

And seeing some of the same issues that resulted in those losses during the Arch years. Throw basketball to TJD, stand and watch. Throw basketball to Race, stand and watch.

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

And seeing some of the same issues that resulted in those losses during the Arch years. Throw basketball to TJD, stand and watch. Throw basketball to Race, stand and watch.

I don’t think the gameplan (or perhaps execution, based on the post-game comments, but my hunch is both) was very good Saturday. The offense is structurally better but still dealing with talent deficits. In general I think those issues have been addressed pretty well in ten months on the job.

Do you think things are no better than they were under Archie?

If so I’ll say this: IU spent Arch’s entire tenure either on the bubble or clearly out of the tournament, save about twelve hours between Fred Hoiberg wrenching on the bench and the 2020 tournament getting cancelled. And in year one, they are already nowhere near the bubble, which we literally could not say at a single point in Archie’s tenure. 

13 hours ago, yogisballin said:

IU scored 13 points in the last 15:32 of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Woody still hasn’t adjusted to the college game. He’s used to pros who can recover during an off night and turn things around so the message to his nba teams stayed the same…”if at first you don’t succeed; try and try again”.

In the college game you have know when to pivot when someone doesn’t have it that night, or doesn’t have the matchup advantage. I can live with losing when the guys give max green beans and the coaches are switching things up to exploit what the opposition is giving you but it is frustrating to watch a team only do one thing without any regard for how successful it is or isn’t. 

30 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I don’t think the gameplan (or perhaps execution, based on the post-game comments, but my hunch is both) was very good Saturday. The offense is structurally better but still dealing with talent deficits. In general I think those issues have been addressed pretty well in ten months on the job.

If so I’ll say this: IU spent Arch’s entire tenure either on the bubble or clearly out of the tournament, save about twelve hours between Fred Hoiberg wrenching on the bench and the 2020 tournament getting cancelled. And in year one, they are already nowhere near the bubble, which we literally could not say at a single point in Archie’s tenure. 

Are things better than under Arch and Co.? Yes. How much better? We'll see.

Remember when all we needed were shooters? Well, we got them and seem to only use them occasionally. We hyped them and the team up. We have a solid record, against an extremely weak noncon schedule, and a friendly conference schedule, playing at least O$U at the right time. Things are about to get tougher. We have plenty of opportunities for GOOD wins in the coming weeks. I hope we seize those opportunities and earn a decent seed in the big dance.

We still have some of the same issues we had under Arch. I know, we would like to ignore those because we like this coach! I need to get back outside to shake my fist at the sky.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Are things better than under Arch and Co.? Yes. How much better? We'll see.

Remember when all we needed were shooters? Well, we got them and seem to only use them occasionally. We hyped them and the team up. We have a solid record, against an extremely weak noncon schedule, and a friendly conference schedule, playing at least O$U at the right time. Things are about to get tougher. We have plenty of opportunities for GOOD wins in the coming weeks. I hope we seize those opportunities and earn a decent seed in the big dance.

We still have some of the same issues we had under Arch. I know, we would like to ignore those because we like this coach! I need to get back outside to shake my fist at the sky.

Old Man Yells at Cloud Blank Template - Imgflip | Old Man Meme on ME.ME

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

when i look at the schedule im expecting 3-5 down the stretch and going into the B1G 19-11.  That'll probably be enough to get a tourney bid especially if we get a b1g tourney win which will always prove difficult for us.    

3-5 is probably accurate as we should be favored in games against a lifeless Maryland, a decent Rutger, a good Wiscy, and possibly a flailing Minny team on the road? Our range is probably from 2-6 to possibly 4-4. If we could get 4 more Big 1.o wins in the regular season I'd be pretty happy and we should be safely in the dance.

4 hours ago, lillurk said:

Pretty much the same team but in better position under Woody currently.