Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Amazing stat from last night

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

We all know that IU had only three turnovers last night.

The three:

Two by TJD and the other was a team turnover on a shot clock violation.

The two guys that handle the ball the most for us -- X and Phin -- played a combined 58 minutes and had no turnovers, scored 38 points and had 8 rebounds.  Even if you think X took too many shots (I was fine with his shots as I thought most were good looks), he and Phin combined to shoot 15 of 30 and 6 and 11 from three.  Throw in zero turnovers with that and I can't come up with the last time we had guard play like that.

It was very nice to see! I don’t expect they will shoot that well moving forward but they can take care of the ball and if they can, we will continue to win

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

The three:

The two guys that handle the ball the most for us -- X and Phin -- played a combined 58 minutes and had no turnovers, scored 38 points and had 8 rebounds.  Even if you think X took too many shots (I was fine with his shots as I thought most were good looks), he and Phin combined to shoot 15 of 30 and 6 and 11 from three.  Throw in zero turnovers with that and I can't come up with the last time we had guard play like that.

Outstanding. And against a deservedly top-ranked (gag) PU team under lots of on ball pressure. As good as it gets.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

The three:

I love that we only had 3 turnovers last night. Not like, LOVE!! I LOVE that none of those came from X or PHIN. They were outstanding!! I would add that they LED with energy and aggressiveness that others picked up on. These are all great things.

*Note this is not trying to rain on the parade but provide context

purdoodoo is not really a defense that turns opponents over that much. I thought this going into the game but wanted to dig into the numbers to make sure it was accurate. They rank 335th in the nation with a 15% TOR. With that said, it was FANTASTIC to see them take care of the ball in the environment during a big game!

The box scores, points per player, minutes played, etc. are the absolute weirdest I have seen in an IU win.

But I do wonder if TJD was operating at 100%.  Is he ok?  Heard he was rubbing his hip during warmup.  And he really didn't have his thinking cap on when he came back in and started slapping at the ball handler's arms.  Kind of like he was asking for the 3rd foul to be called.  The 4th foul seemed BS to me.

Really want to know if he is ready for prime time.

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

The three:

I’ve been critical if Xavier. I thought he played a fine game last night. A couple bad shots from an aggressive player is to be expected. It’s the compounding of mistakes on top of mistakes that kill a team. Zero turnovers from our guards is amazing. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I’ve been critical if Xavier. I thought he played a fine game last night. A couple bad shots from an aggressive player is to be expected. It’s the compounding of mistakes on top of mistakes that kill a team. Zero turnovers from our guards is amazing. 

I was surprised they didn't deliberately rough him up a little in the early part of the game  solely to get under his skin and cause him to lose focus.

7 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I was surprised they didn't deliberately rough him up a little in the early part of the game  solely to get under his skin and cause him to lose focus.

I wouldn’t rule that out for the trip to Mackey. 

On 1/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

Trey is a spark plug. Has some Moye in him, has some Sheehey toughness and moxie. Still needs to develop a solid jumper, but we’re definitely better with him than without

I think both Galloway and Geronimo bring sparks when inserted. 

Been asking for more of both for a while. We just play differently with them be their scrappy selves. 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, jk34 said:

Another amazing stat!

20220121_181638.jpg

Start him!!! Games against top-175 competition

where Gallo started: 0 - 0

with Gallo playing more than 4 minutes: 3 - 2

with Gallo playing less than 4 minutes: 4 - 3

See, we're undefeated with Gallo in the starting lineup!!! There is enough evidence now to suggest that's not a coincidence.