Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana vs Undue Purversity, Thursday, 7:00 pm

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Robbie Eggers @RobbieEggers

Let’s face it - Purdue lost the moment they attempted to put a commercial out there that said “this is our state.” When you have to try to convince people you're important - you're not!

not-important-not-special.gif

41 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure if this is just wishful thinking, but this could be a big springboard for the rest of the season.

1)team learned to win without TJD.

2)huge difference in how the team came out in the 2nd half vs against Wisc and Iowa. Previously they came out with a lead and played not to lose, tonight they played to win.

3)the increasing quality of bench play is going to be huge down the stretch of the season.

and finally

4)imagine coming to practice today with this win vs a loss. This team is going to have an edge that it has not had for over 4 seasons moving forward.

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I disagree about the start of the second half. purdoodoo punched us in the mouth to 1) start the half hitting several threes. 2&4) We seemed to go into a bit of prevent defense and burn clock offense. 3) We built the lead in the first half by causing turnovers converting to easy buckets in transition and attacking the basket. 4) We hung on for the win and overcame some suspect ATO defense. Hopefully, Woody and the team are learning and will continue to build.

18 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

What you pointed out speaks  to the opposite.  Jaden Ivey going off with TJD on the bench could have easily led to a mental collapse. Instead IU maintained a lead, didn't start jacking up bad shots,or turning the ball over, and there was no 8-0 or 11-0 run despite him going beast mode. The IU lead was down to 3 pts just a 1:26 into the 2nd half yet never trailed until 1:11 left in the game. Then clamped down and finished on a 5-0 run to win the game.  Not sure how you don't see that as different than the other games, losing big halftime leads rather quickly.

1) purdoodoo started the second half cutting the lead to 1 by the under 16 media time out which included 3 made 3 pointers, one made by Ivey

2) we got late into the shock clock several times with X bailing us out on one of those with a made 3. He got a little wild late forcing shots which he missed 5 in the last 10 minutes of the game.

3) we forced 10 purdoodoo turnovers in the first half, not sure how many points we got in transition or early offense but it was quite a bit

4) ITH are just media, not coaches, but they saw something similar

Purdue made its run in the second half as Jaden Ivey poured in 19 points after the break and Indiana didn’t really have an answer. IU’s offense down the stretch started to resemble the Nebraska game, dribbling and dribbling and dribbling the clock out with Jackson-Davis sidelined, just hoping to hold on. Purdue got the lead at 65-63 after Indiana lost Mason Gillis on an inbounds play.

I like the change too. It aligns a bit more to the reality of the game ;-)

23 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Robbie Eggers @RobbieEggers

Let’s face it - Purdue lost the moment they attempted to put a commercial out there that said “this is our state.” When you have to try to convince people you're important - you're not!

To add to that, putting out this add featuring IU almost as much as Purdue, perfectly illustrates the mindset of Purdue people. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

1) purdoodoo started the second half cutting the lead to 1 by the under 16 media time out which included 3 made 3 pointers, one made by Ivey

2) we got late into the shock clock several times with X bailing us out on one of those with a made 3. He got a little wild late forcing shots which he missed 5 in the last 10 minutes of the game.

3) we forced 10 purdoodoo turnovers in the first half, not sure how many points we got in transition or early offense but it was quite a bit

4) ITH are just media, not coaches, but they saw something similar

Purdue made its run in the second half as Jaden Ivey poured in 19 points after the break and Indiana didn’t really have an answer. IU’s offense down the stretch started to resemble the Nebraska game, dribbling and dribbling and dribbling the clock out with Jackson-Davis sidelined, just hoping to hold on. Purdue got the lead at 65-63 after Indiana lost Mason Gillis on an inbounds play.

I'm not on one side or the other but as I told my 15-year-old last night at halftime, if you don't think Purdue is going to make a run, and Ivey is going to score double figures no matter who is guarding him or how well we play defense then your crazy and go to bed. That was a given, the real question is how do you respond to that run by Purdue. He looked at me and said we're going to need the crowd to make some noise. I would have had Galloway and Phinisee in a little sooner myself but it all worked out. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not on one side or the other but as I told my 15-year-old last night at halftime, if you don't think purdoodoo is going to make a run, and Ivey is going to score double figures no matter who is guarding him or how well we play defense then your crazy and go to bed. That was a given, the real question is how do you respond to that run by purdoodoo. He looked at me and said we're going to need the crowd to make some noise. I would have had Galloway and Phinisee in a little sooner myself but it all worked out. 

I don't think there are sides to this. I absolutely expected Ivey to get his and purdoodoo (corrected it for you!!) to go on a run. I'm actually happy we were able to respond to those. I do think we could have done a little better job on defense against him, especially who was defending him, to make him work for those points. I agree about Gallo and Phin. I would have liked to see them in a little earlier to see if they could get going again like the first half. We were the aggressors in the first half, we got back on our heels reacting in the second. That was my point. It felt very much like previous games, the difference is PHIN was able to hit a big shot at the end and we got a stop to close it.

A couple thoughts on the win last night...

-There's been a lot of discussion about what a disaster this team would be without TJD. We obviously need him, but last night showed that other guys can step up, and certainly provide a lot of hope for next year when he's gone.

-Obviously an incredible game by Rob. His attacking mentality was great, and hopefully he can keep it up. One of my favorite plays from him was actually a 3 that he missed. He took a pretty terrible long 3 in the first half that didn't go in. Not a good shot, but it was a great sign for Rob because he's so cautious. I'd rather see him mess up from overconfidence than turtle and be conservative. When he and Devonte were here, they were such polar opposites, and if you could have just combined them, it would have been a very good player. Phinisee getting a little bit of Devonte's swagger would be huge if he can keep it up. Also, the 2 3s he took at the end were catch and shoot on the move. I'm not sure I've seen him ever take a 3 off the catch unless his feet were set, and he did it twice in a row. Again, a great sign of his confidence. His form is good, but he's always thinking, which leads to aiming instead of shooting. There was none of that last night

-The depth really showed up and showed we can handle any type of team. Outside of TJD, no superstars, but a lot of guys that can fill different roles, and all bust their butts. We've got size if we need it, defensive lockdown guys if we need that, shooters if we need that.

-XJ takes a lot of crap, and much of it is fair. But he really took over at points last night. It's probably too much to expect since he's a senior at this point, but if he can learn to pick his spots, it would be huge. It felt like he could get into the lane at will last night and stress the defense. He's used to playing on terrible Pitt teams where he had to do too much. He's playing with more talent here, so hopefully he's able to shift that mindset and understand that he doesn't have to do it all.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not on one side or the other but as I told my 15-year-old last night at halftime, if you don't think Purdue is going to make a run, and Ivey is going to score double figures no matter who is guarding him or how well we play defense then your crazy and go to bed. That was a given, the real question is how do you respond to that run by Purdue. He looked at me and said we're going to need the crowd to make some noise. I would have had Galloway and Phinisee in a little sooner myself but it all worked out. 

This.

I was immediately frustrated that staff went right back to the starters in the 2nd after the guys off the bench, and particularly Rob, Galloway, Geronimo and Durr, threw PU back on itsheels, with much tougher D and attacking guard play.

The starters came in and PU immediately had space outside, the close outs were not good, and PU easily got right back into it.

But -- Ivey is a next-level baller, like him or not that guy is exceptional, we knew he and PU would come out attacking -- and after that early PU run the starters, and then everyone as subs came in, brought it, under control, the crowd was there all night, and UNLIKE the game @Iowa,  the team, X included, kept their focus and didn't commit TO's --

I mean 3 TO's on the game against PU? That's really, really good. That's not just 'smart basketball,' that's an entire team playing under control under heavy pressure. Couldn't ask for better play down the stretch. Impressive.

Time will tell but last night is the kind of moment that can really propel this team forward. They needed to learn how to win these games.

Woodson is Really exceeding my expectations. I get really frustrated with the teams play, at times, but a couple things stand out. He is getting the absolute most out this roster. Obviously there’s room for growth and improvement but I’m not sure many coaches get what he’s getting out of this team. We are in every single game. Our defense is a sight to behold. It will give us a chance against any team at any given time.  All of this while we have some serious deficiencies on offense.  Wait until this guy gets some dudes on campus (and he’s going to get them). 

I’ve been extremely critical of Rob Phinisee but last night he had one of my all time favorite Hoosier performances. I’m happy for him and I hope it gives him the confidence he needs to reach his potential. If it does, our team’s trajectory changes exponentially. 

This program isn’t as far away from contention as I thought. Beat Michigan and let’s build on this momentum! 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The stat line rarely shows it but Galloway is this teams engine. His energy forces his teammates to elevate theirs. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

1) purdoodoo started the second half cutting the lead to 1 by the under 16 media time out which included 3 made 3 pointers, one made by Ivey. Exactly, the #4 team in the country got back into the game, yet couldn't get a lead until 1:11 left.

2) we got late into the shock clock several times with X bailing us out on one of those with a made 3. He got a little wild late forcing shots which he missed 5 in the last 10 minutes of the game. So now we are going to be critical of a team maintaining a narrow lead for straight 15 minutes without it's All-American playing, because they didn't blow out the #4 team in the country?

3) we forced 10 purdoodoo turnovers in the first half, not sure how many points we got in transition or early offense but it was quite a bit Purdue made halftime adjustments, did you expect IU to turn them over 10 more times in the 2nd half? I mean they have pretty good coaches and players too.

4) ITH are just media, not coaches, but they saw something similar OK

Purdue made its run in the second half as Jaden Ivey poured in 19 points after the break and Indiana didn’t really have an answer.This is completely untrue. IU answered almost every Ivey or PU basket. As you said the lead was 1 with 16 minutes left but IU didn't trail until 1:11 left.  That is quite literally the definition of having the answer.  IU’s offense down the stretch started to resemble the Nebraska game, dribbling and dribbling and dribbling the clock out with Jackson-Davis sidelined, just hoping to hold on. Purdue got the lead at 65-63 after Indiana lost Mason Gillis on an inbounds play. And yet they didn't cave or foul, they went on a 5-0 run to finish the game.

Just now, Chips&Dipo said:

Disclaimer - I am 31

Is Jaden Ivey the best Purdue player since Glen Robinson? I mean, they have obviously had a lot of great players, but Ivey LOOK and PLAYS like an NBA player. 

I'm ignorant to where he stands on the all-time Purdue person list, but I sure am ready for him to get on to the NBA. If the Pacers would stop friggin' winning on this west coast trip with Keifer friggin' Sykes running the show they might get a shot at him.

I hope, wish, and pray that Dane, Kenya, and the other coaches perform an "intervention" on CMW and convince him to have Phin & Galloway start. They have proven (for much more than one game) that they are far better all around players than Kopp & Stewart. Nothing against those 2, it's just the reality. Let Kopp & Stewart come off the bench to give guys a blow.

I have to admit, that Kopp, while having a big goose egg on the stat sheet, did play some really good defense on Stefanovich (sp?). But we can't afford to have a player only play defense and not score IMO. 

The big difference between PS defense and Gallo's defense is that Gallo tried to prevent his man (mainly Ivey in the first half) from even getting the ball. PS played defense (and not very good D) AFTER Ivey got the ball. Galloway kept Ivey in front of him. Only got beat once or twice all game. I'll take that.

Great gutsy win for the guys. Proud of them.

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This.

I was immediately frustrated that staff went right back to the starters in the 2nd after the guys off the bench, and particularly Rob, Galloway, Geronimo and Durr, threw PU back on itsheels, with much tougher D and attacking guard play.

The starters came in and PU immediately had space outside, the close outs were not good, and PU easily got right back into it.

But -- Ivey is a next-level baller, like him or not that guy is exceptional, we knew he and PU would come out attacking -- and after that early PU run the starters, and then everyone as subs came in, brought it, under control, the crowd was there all night, and UNLIKE the game @Iowa,  the team, X included, kept their focus and didn't commit TO's --

I mean 3 TO's on the game against PU? That's really, really good. That's not just 'smart basketball,' that's an entire team playing under control under heavy pressure. Couldn't ask for better play down the stretch. Impressive.

Our starting lineup is rough. I understand we need bench production but I’d like to see Rob replace Parker in the starting lineup and see Galloway replace Kopp. 

2 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Disclaimer - I am 31

Is Jaden Ivey the best Purdue player since Glen Robinson? I mean, they have obviously had a lot of great players, but Ivey LOOK and PLAYS like an NBA player. 

He's definitely their best NBA prospect. Guys like Edwards and Swanigan recently were probably better college players, but Ivey translates to the NBA so much better