Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana vs Undue Purversity, Thursday, 7:00 pm

47 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This game really sums up how important guards are in the college game.  We lost our all American big and it didn’t doom us. And to boot Purdue didn’t use their bigs to devastating effect.  

I disagree, I thought they used Williams to devestating effect. That airball from 2 feet was pretty devastating for Purdue 

1 hour ago, Five Prime said:

Another thing that I'm not sure had been stated - Coach Woodson is instilling a sense of pride back into the Hoosier basketball program.  It's something that was somehow lost over the last decade of mediocre basketball.  I'm talking about from a players perspective - understanding it's a privilege to play for Indiana and bringing your best every night. 

I don’t know if it is that or a different version where the players just seem to like and respond to Woody. 

I was actually a little higher on Woodson than most, even before he was hired, but one of my reservations was having an “nba style” coach. From the clips I’ve watched, he has this very old school, fatherly demeanor where he tries to improve each player individually as he instructs. Maybe he’ll never be an A+ Xs and Os guy (although, I actually think we have done ok in that dept so far), but he’ll be a team-builder type where the whole continues to grow greater than the sum of the parts throughout the season. 

We’ll find out more in the seasons to come as the roster turns over. But I am digging his style so far, and only a small part of that is related to the fact that he obviously loves IU.

I am also a 70's child.

It's probably been 10 years since I've stood (not sat) in my living room to watch the last 5 minutes of a game.  Especially a game of this overall magnitude.

if storming the court = a major Big Ten and tournament run.....**** it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is just wishful thinking, but this could be a big springboard for the rest of the season.

1)team learned to win without TJD.

2)huge difference in how the team came out in the 2nd half vs against Wisc and Iowa. Previously they came out with a lead and played not to lose, tonight they played to win.

3)the increasing quality of bench play is going to be huge down the stretch of the season.

and finally

4)imagine coming to practice today with this win vs a loss. This team is going to have an edge that it has not had for over 4 seasons moving forward.

3 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

2)huge difference in how the team came out in the 2nd half vs against Wisc and Iowa. Previously they came out with a lead and played not to lose, tonight they played to win.

I disagree about the start of the second half. purdoodoo punched us in the mouth to start the half hitting several threes. We seemed to go into a bit of prevent defense and burn clock offense. We built the lead in the first half by causing turnovers converting to easy buckets in transition and attacking the basket. We hung on for the win and overcame some suspect ATO defense. Hopefully, Woody and the team are learning and will continue to build.

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I noticed an elated Khristian Lander every time he’s on camera tonight.

Betcha if Woody wants him he’s going to be all in.

I have noticed every game that KL looks totally engaged and excited for the team on the bench. He so easily could have gone the way of Devonte Green, Jake Forester, Justin Smith, etc. I remember these guys way to frequently looking disinterested and like someone had just shot their dog anytime they got extended bench time.

Whatever happens with him, he has been a good soldier for IU, not making waves on the court or social media in what has to be a tough situation for him.  I hope he has a huge offseason and finds his groove at IU, but I will be a fan wherever his path leads.

So one real fatal flaw of this team has been closing out games on the road. I mean, Wisky (22pt lead) and Iowa (11? pt lead). And while this may not have been on the road, PU is a stronger team to my eye and by significant Kempom measures and IU was able to weather that storm.

I'm not saying it translates apples to apples, but last night was a positive step towards what was a major issue.

23 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I disagree about the start of the second half. purdoodoo punched us in the mouth to start the half hitting several threes. We seemed to go into a bit of prevent defense and burn clock offense. We built the lead in the first half by causing turnovers converting to easy buckets in transition and attacking the basket. We hung on for the win and overcame some suspect ATO defense. Hopefully, Woody and the team are learning and will continue to build.

What you pointed out speaks  to the opposite.  Jaden Ivey going off with TJD on the bench could have easily led to a mental collapse. Instead IU maintained a lead, didn't start jacking up bad shots,or turning the ball over, and there was no 8-0 or 11-0 run despite him going beast mode. The IU lead was down to 3 pts just a 1:26 into the 2nd half yet never trailed until 1:11 left in the game. Then clamped down and finished on a 5-0 run to win the game.  Not sure how you don't see that as different than the other games, losing big halftime leads rather quickly.

41 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Remember how Sheehey would piss off PU, get in guys’ grills and hit them hard in their house? And remember the early debates about who was better, Sheehey or Vic? Galloway reminds me of Sheehey. 

I was at Mackey when he was flexin' on em!  
image.thumb.png.6b2f65866373a893248a349ff244d736.png

Just read this entire thread. Haven’t been on here much this season but damn it feels good to watch a game and feel like we have a chance to win. Have not felt that in a long time. Happy for the kids who have been at IU for last 4 years and also putting up with the pandemic. Huge win and absolutely something to celebrate.

Go Hoosiers!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

So one real fatal flaw of this team has been closing out games on the road. I mean, Wisky (22pt lead) and Iowa (11? pt lead). And while this may not have been on the road, PU is a stronger team to my eye and by significant Kempom measures and IU was able to weather that storm.

I'm not saying it translates apples to apples, but last night was a positive step towards what was a major issue.

Two in a row, although the one on the road was against the worst of the Big 1.o. This one was much bigger because of who it was and how it happened. If we can keep the turnovers down (!!!) and use those extra possessions for points in favor instead of points against we can start progressing to the next step of the Big 1.o ladder and seeding for the dance.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Just read this entire thread. Haven’t been on here much this season but damn it feels good to watch a game and feel like we have a chance to win. Have not felt that in a long time. Happy for the kids who have been at IU for last 4 years and also putting up with the pandemic. Huge win and absolutely something to celebrate.

Go Hoosiers!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

200.gif

I’m a broken record but don’t start Kopp and Stewart together. Just don’t.
Those 2 wing guys, that are primarily in the game to score, combined for 2 points in 31 minutes.
Aside from that….great, thrilling, fantastic win. We are getting our home court mojo back and the players are in-line with Woody. Let’s get the next 2 and continue the path to the dance….!

I still like playing those guys against most teams, but Purdue is not a good matchup for them. We seemed to be able to attack them with defense and getting into the lane, which is not their specialty. That's why it's nice to have depth and guys that can come in and do that. Woodson showed a willingness to stick with what was working. The team can be malleable, and that gives us a chance to beat anybody. Kopp's and Stewart's ability to spread the floor will still be valuable against many teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk